Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi AAdvantage Free Checked Bag Benefit Question

tag
shinedown87
Regular Contributor

Citi AAdvantage Free Checked Bag Benefit Question

Do I need to pay for an American Airlines reservation with my Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select card in order to get the 1st checked bag free benefit? 

I have a few flights already booked in March on American Airlines, but I just received my new AAdvantage card today, so I wan't able to pay for the reservations with the card. I am wondering if I will get my 1st checked bag free on these flights?

If I remember correctly, when my wife had her Delta Amex, it didn't matter if she didn't pay with her Delta card, the free checked bag was linked to her frequent flier number. 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Re: Citi AAdvantage Free Checked Bag Benefit Question

No.

Your credit card is linked to your AA account. When you sign into the AA website, it should say "aadvantage cardholder" under your mileage balance on the main page.

When you check in online (or at the airport) you simply select how many bags you need to check (1 free for up to (i think) yourself and 3 or 4 others with the plat select card, when you're on the same PNR) and you won't be charged for them. When you print out boarding passes it will also display "card member."

If you don't see these notations, call citi and/or american airlines.
Message 2 of 4
shinedown87
Regular Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:
No.

Your credit card is linked to your AA account. When you sign into the AA website, it should say "aadvantage cardholder" under your mileage balance on the main page.

When you check in online (or at the airport) you simply select how many bags you need to check (1 free for up to (i think) yourself and 3 or 4 others with the plat select card, when you're on the same PNR) and you won't be charged for them. When you print out boarding passes it will also display "card member."

If you don't see these notations, call citi and/or american airlines.

Great info. Thank you. I called Citi and was told that I must pay with my Citi AAdvantage card. That didn't seem correct to me, thanks for clarifying. 

I also found out that they assigned me a new AAdvantage number, instead of using my existing number (I didn't have a place to enter this on the application page). I was instructed to call in tomorrow when AAdvantage department is open to get the card linked to my existing AAdvantage number. 

Message 3 of 4
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Yes, Definitely do that. They'll need to merge your two accounts.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.