cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard APR - REDUCTION!

tag
Marz2002
Senior Contributor

Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard APR - REDUCTION!

I was approved for the Citi AAdvantage WEMC card last month on the 24th with an SL of $11K and a APR of 24.24% - just 2.00% shy of the Maximum APR for the card.  I always PIF, so I wasn't really concerned about the APR assigned to my account, AT THAT TIME.

The card has a SUB of 60K miles with a $3K spend.

Since then, my 1st statement cut on Feb. 5th with a balance due of $1,118.98 and I PIF on the 15th.  After Feb. 5, my balance grew an additional $2,170.55.  Before the March 5th statement is cut, today I PIF the $2,170.55, leaving a ZERO balance.

Next, I decided to focus on that Large APR of 24.24% and started an online Chat.  The Rep could only give me an reduction to 22.24%.  I wasn't satisfied with that offer and politely declined it, picked up the phone and dialed the number on the back of the Card.

Spoke to a very nice lady at Citi and requested an APR reduction.  She came back with the same 22.24% as the Chat Rep offered.  So, I asked if she had a better offer and she said that this was the ONLY offer 'The System' was giving to her.  Without me saying a word about my Citi PIF payments, she said let me see what i can do and puts me on hold.

About a minute later, she comes back on the line and offers me - WAIT FOR IT - 18.24%!!!

I verified the new APR with my online account while she was still on the phone.  OH HAPPY DAY!!!

AMEX BCP $8K | AMEX Cash Magnet $15K | Citi DoubleCash WEMC $15.2K | Citi Rewards WMC $15.5K | Citi Costco VS $12K
Citi Custom Cash WEMC $7.8K | Synchrony (PayPal Credit $6K, Care Credit $15K, & PayPal 2% MC $10K, VENMO VS $6.5K)
PNC Cash Rewards VS $10.5K | NFCU cashRewards VS $14K | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $37.5K | NFCU Flagship Rewards VS $23K
Discover IT $22.5K | BB&T Cash Rewards $4.5K | Macy's AMEX $25K | Bloomingdales AMEX $20K | Apple Card WEMC $9K
PenFed Power Cash Rewards VS $7.5K

Total CL - $284K+
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard APR - REDUCTION!

@Marz2002 wrote:

I was approved for the Citi AAdvantage WEMC card last month on the 24th with an SL of $11K and a APR of 24.24% - just 2.00% shy of the Maximum APR for the card.  I always PIF, so I wasn't really concerned about the APR assigned to my account, AT THAT TIME.

The card has a SUB of 60K miles with a $3K spend.

Since then, my 1st statement cut on Feb. 5th with a balance due of $1,118.98 and I PIF on the 15th.  After Feb. 5, my balance grew an additional $2,170.55.  Before the March 5th statement is cut, today I PIF the $2,170.55, leaving a ZERO balance.

Next, I decided to focus on that Large APR of 24.24% and started an online Chat.  The Rep could only give me an reduction to 22.24%.  I wasn't satisfied with that offer and politely declined it, picked up the phone and dialed the number on the back of the Card.

Spoke to a very nice lady at Citi and requested an APR reduction.  She came back with the same 22.24% as the Chat Rep offered.  So, I asked if she had a better offer and she said that this was the ONLY offer 'The System' was giving to her.  Without me saying a word about my Citi PIF payments, she said let me see what i can do and puts me on hold.

About a minute later, she comes back on the line and offers me - WAIT FOR IT - 18.24%!!!

I verified the new APR with my online account while she was still on the phone.  OH HAPPY DAY!!!

I am not sure what the point of you doing that was.  If you want a lower interest card there are plenty of cards with lower rates.  Plenty of cards with 0 percent introductory rates. I am not sure what you gained going from 24% to 18%.   

Message 2 of 10
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

The gain was providing other members with their experience in lowering the APR on a rewards/co-branded product with Citi.

Citi, like Discover and some others, tend to usually lower the APR if the account is eligible. So, a step in the right direction for the OP.
Message 3 of 10
Marz2002
Senior Contributor

@FinStar wrote:
The gain was providing other members with their experience in lowering the APR on a rewards/co-branded product with Citi.

Citi, like Discover and some others, tend to usually lower the APR if the account is eligible. So, a step in the right direction for the OP.

Thanks for the assist @FinStar!

@frogman1, I know that I am able to get lower interest rate credit cards, but I wanted this particular card since I fly AA most of the time and one of the Card's benefits is 1 FREE checked bag per flight.  Also, if I ever had to carry a balance on the Card, I now have a LOWER interest rate. 

AMEX BCP $8K | AMEX Cash Magnet $15K | Citi DoubleCash WEMC $15.2K | Citi Rewards WMC $15.5K | Citi Costco VS $12K
Citi Custom Cash WEMC $7.8K | Synchrony (PayPal Credit $6K, Care Credit $15K, & PayPal 2% MC $10K, VENMO VS $6.5K)
PNC Cash Rewards VS $10.5K | NFCU cashRewards VS $14K | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $37.5K | NFCU Flagship Rewards VS $23K
Discover IT $22.5K | BB&T Cash Rewards $4.5K | Macy's AMEX $25K | Bloomingdales AMEX $20K | Apple Card WEMC $9K

Total CL - $284K+
Message 4 of 10
Priory_Man
Valued Contributor

Nice job on not giving up, appreciate the info bud.

"Total revolving credit $286,000 Current UTIL >1%"
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FinStar wrote:

The lowest possible rate for a Citi AA card is loan shark like rates.  I think the better advise would be to point people to the hundreds of better choices if they have the need to carry a balance.   I currently have 4 Citi AA cards.  Don't know the rates on them other than they are way too high to carry a balance.  The same as any co-branded card airline or hotel card.  

Message 6 of 10
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

The lowest possible rate for a Citi AA card is loan shark like rates.  I think the better advise would be to point people to the hundreds of better choices if they have the need to carry a balance.   I currently have 4 Citi AA cards.  Don't know the rates on them other than they are way too high to carry a balance.  The same as any co-branded card airline or hotel card.  

Unfortunately, the bolded part is not entirely accurate for those folks who can get their APRs to a farily low rate.  Also, the OP's initial post did not mention anything about carrying a balance.  The OP explicitly mentioned they PIF.  If Citi has the flexibility to lower the go-to APR for an accountholder, why not?  I have 10 Citi 'core' cards an a variety of them have pretty low APRs which are comparable and or similar to a variety CU low rate CCs.  I never carry a balance but there is nothing wrong with anyone providing advice or sharing on being able to request a lower APR, especially on this product and whether or not they PIF.

As an example, here's one of mine that currently offers a fairly low variable APR.

CITI DC APR.jpg

Message 7 of 10
Marz2002
Senior Contributor

@Priory_Man wrote:
Nice job on not giving up, appreciate the info bud.

@Priory_Man Always good to hear from you and Thanks!

Total CL - $284K+
Message 8 of 10
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Way to go Op! Thats amazing progress from a phone call. Part of the credit game is recognizing that we CAN ask for apr reductions, irregardless of pif or not or better cards with lower rates, as Lenders alliw it.

If you dont ask you wont get it magically. Not everyone will be born with a silver spoon and get huge limits all the time with the lowest aprs, some of us actually have to work for better credit.
Message 9 of 10
Marz2002
Senior Contributor

AJC, You...

awesome congratulations GIF by Slanted StudiosThanks for the acknowledgment and the additional advice!

I totally agree with you!

Total CL - $284K+
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.