Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Approval Odds Post BK7

tag
em2006
Established Member

Citi Approval Odds Post BK7

Hi everyone, I know this is an old topic.

I read a lot in this forum and keep learning as well, this is my first post by the way!

I would like to hear your advice/opinion on this since all the cases are differents.

Stats

Income around $75k

BK7 discharge 9-10-2014 (IIB Citi $14k, BoA $2k, some medical bills)

No baddies since BK7

100% payment history.

Util% 22

Scores: Credit Karma TU 669 EQ 678 / EX 685

INQ: TU: 3, EQ: 0, EX: 2

AoOA: 6 years

AAoA: 2 y 10 mo

Total CL: 42.7K

5 new accounts in the last 2 years (1 installment loan started on Jun 2021 to pay off some credit cards BAL and lower the util and 4 CC)

Goals.

Short term: March 2022 when 1 INQ from TU falls I want back on Citi with a cord legacy card and increase my score 710+

Long term: Oct 2024 when BK7 fall, Increase TCL 80k +, lower util to 5% and score around 760+

Since I been denied for CLI (cap 1, Dc, Barclays only by phone, I won’t risk an INQ, discover, PayPal, Amex) in the last year due to my current situation (see stats) I am planning to apply for a Citicard next year on March when one of my INQ in TU falls.  I will cross the fingers and let’s see if they want me back. I would like to use a BT offer to transfer Bal to a 2 WF cards with high BAL since I will start pay interest in March. Also, my BK7 will be 7 years and 5 months at the time that I will apply.

Questions: What are my odds to back in the garden with them in my actual condition? Or I need to improve something?

Plan B:

It they reject me; I am planning to apply for a new loan to reduce my Util and improve my score and stop paying interest in those WF cards.

Any suggestions are very welcome!

Thank you!

Cap1 Plat $3.95K, Cap1 QS $6K, Cap 1 Venture Rewards $8.25K, Amex Plat NPSL $10K POT, Amex BCP $1K

Discover Miles $6K, Barclays Aviator Red $4K, WF Visa Signature $7.5K WF Plat $2K, Home Depot $0.5K, PayPal Credit $3.5K

Total CL $42.7K / Lending Club loan $14K Bal

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

Re: Citi Approval Odds Post BK7

@em2006, this is a YMMV scenario, but I burned CITI for roughly the same amount at roughly the same time; I applied for CITI's secured credit card earlier this year, all I got was a hard pull and a denial.

By the way, nobody looks at CreditKarma scores are Vantage 3.0, so they are irrelevant; you need to figure out what your FICO scores are.

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 2 of 17
Jccflat
Established Contributor

my bk7 is a little over 5 years I pulled the trigger for the citi custom cash and was approved 8k 3 weeks ago 

Message 3 of 17
dragontears
Senior Contributor

@Jccflat wrote:

my bk7 is a little over 5 years I pulled the trigger for the citi custom cash and was approved 8k 3 weeks ago 

@Jccflat was Citi included in your BK?

Message 4 of 17
SUPERSQUID
Valued Contributor

I wonder if i have a chance after dec. my bk7 was 12/20019 so its close to two years post. I didnt include citi in my bk7, in fact i paid off 2 cards with them a few years before i filed, 6k and 8k.

{ BK7 DC 12/2019 } target 1600/ kohls Visa 7000/ discover IT cb 6500 / 2nd discover IT cb 6000/mercury 4100 / firestone 2800 /legacy 3000 /first savings bank cc 3000/ cap1 QS 5000/ cap 1 savor one 3100 /Bread rewards Amex 4k, Penfed PCR signature visa 10k/ penfed gold 7.5k NFCU >signature visa cash rewards 21700/bread cashback amex 8000

>/ nfcu platinum 15k, BABY NEEDS NEW SHOES !!!!!
closed-- reflex, applied bank, first digital, mission lane, ikea, fingerhut, big lots, valero gasoline, ollo, more to come
Rebuilding since September 2020
who i burned - chase, cap 1, TD bank, Sync, were the biggies
Income 40k
Total utilization around 20 pct depending on my current usage/needs
Ficos in the 680 - 690 range, the 9's slightly higher than the 8's
My vantage scores 708 - 711
TCL - about 110k
Retired since 2017
Message 5 of 17
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@SUPERSQUID wrote:

I wonder if i have a chance after dec. my bk7 was 12/20019 so its close to two years post. I didnt include citi in my bk7, in fact i paid off 2 cards with them a few years before i filed, 6k and 8k.

I would think you at least have a 50/50, if you decide to apply, keep us posted.

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 6 of 17
Jccflat
Established Contributor

Yea it was included big time prob around 20k about 

not sure if it's because i was always lucky that my bk7 was never on my Equifax and Citi pulled Equifax now for me so they don't know I have a bk maybe or it's 

because I have 260k in available credit this days each card Has over 20k and they feel they can trust me again 

Message 7 of 17
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

Don't do it.   I did not include Citi in my BK7 and three years out they declined me for a secured card.    A year later they approved me for a 1K secured card.   It was supposed to graduate in 18 months.   When it was due to graduate they sent me a letter saying they wanted to see another year on their 1K secured card.   By that time I had over 250K in unsecured credit including two 50K cards.   I called and spoke to Citi about when I could apply for unsecured with them post-BK7.   They told me it was a minimum of 7 years.   

Since you IIB'd them and your scores aren't very high I would not waste the HP.   Also, there are much better places to balance transfer to than Citibank.   Even if they approve you it is likely to be for like 2K.    Look to the big credit unions that are all over this board.

Citi is not BK friendly in general.   If you have been getting declined for CLI's, your chances of approval with Citi, having burned them for 14K, is near zero.   The one poster who got in said they pulled EQ and his BK was not reporting on EQ.   Okay, well if your BK is not reporting, you have a slightly better chance.

I would not was my time or the HP and Citibank is not the place you went to use for a BT.

Message 8 of 17
Valued Contributor

You have no chance.   Don't waste your time or your HP.   Citibank is NOT BK friendly.

Message 9 of 17
Valued Contributor

@Horseshoez wrote:

@em2006, this is a YMMV scenario, but I burned CITI for roughly the same amount at roughly the same time; I applied for CITI's secured credit card earlier this year, all I got was a hard pull and a denial.

By the way, nobody looks at CreditKarma scores are Vantage 3.0, so they are irrelevant; you need to figure out what your FICO scores are.

Ignore CK.   This should be in all bold and something every new myFICO member should have to acknowledge before being allowed on the board.   CK's date is great, no problems there, so use it to see updated balances, late payments, etc., but ignore their score.   Virtually nobody ues it.

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.