Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi CLI Denial

tag
EaglesFan2006
Established Contributor

Citi CLI Denial

Thinking I was at the 6-month mark, I applied for a CLI over the phone.  I was immediately denied, and a manager explained that it was based off of information when I FIRST opened the accound.  She confirmed that I was at the 6-month mark, and that no report was pulled.  I decided to call back a bit later and consider a review, but I stopped after talking to another manager.  She said that I was NOT at the 6-month mark, and that that numbers is based on calendar months, not days.  Basiclly, the 6-month window comes at the start of January, not December, since I opened my account in early June.  Just a couple of thoughts/questions:

1) Did I reset my 6-month clock by putting in the CLI request?  It was clear that there was no pull since I didn't get the 30-minute review/request or anything like that.  So, should I be able to request in January when the actual time table is appropriate?

2) I'm a little perplexed at how two different managers could tell me two completely different things.  The second manager said that new credit information comes at any time for reviews such as account closures...hopefully I don't have to worry about that!

3) Since I got that immediate denial, and not the "further review needed" thing, am I somewhat right in assuming that the sole reason for the decline was that I requested it too early?  Or could there be another reason they decided not to do it without review?  I could see if they reviewed it and declined, but I can't think of any other reason as to why I got the denial that I got.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
EaglesFan2006
Established Contributor

Re: Citi CLI Denial

Also, when the time comes and if further review is needed, do they ever do reconsiderations for CLI?  I assume that if you get the 30-minute message, you're going to be denied.

Message 2 of 6
TNTransplant
Established Contributor

@EaglesFan2006 wrote:

Thinking I was at the 6-month mark, I applied for a CLI over the phone.  I was immediately denied, and a manager explained that it was based off of information when I FIRST opened the accound.  She confirmed that I was at the 6-month mark, and that no report was pulled.  I decided to call back a bit later and consider a review, but I stopped after talking to another manager.  She said that I was NOT at the 6-month mark, and that that numbers is based on calendar months, not days.  Basiclly, the 6-month window comes at the start of January, not December, since I opened my account in early June.  Just a couple of thoughts/questions:

1) Did I reset my 6-month clock by putting in the CLI request?  It was clear that there was no pull since I didn't get the 30-minute review/request or anything like that.  So, should I be able to request in January when the actual time table is appropriate?

2) I'm a little perplexed at how two different managers could tell me two completely different things.  The second manager said that new credit information comes at any time for reviews such as account closures...hopefully I don't have to worry about that!

3) Since I got that immediate denial, and not the "further review needed" thing, am I somewhat right in assuming that the sole reason for the decline was that I requested it too early?  Or could there be another reason they decided not to do it without review?  I could see if they reviewed it and declined, but I can't think of any other reason as to why I got the denial that I got.

I also tried too early with my Citi card and it was an instant decline.  I did get a letter (online document through my account) within a couple of days that gave that as the reason.  I realized I was off by about one week, so I tried again two weeks later and got another instant decline - this time the reason was "too many new accounts."  (Completely true, as I'd opened about 5 new cards in Aug/Sept).  No HP either time.

Starting Score: Jan 2012: EQ - 659, TU08 - 670, EX - ???
Current Score:April 2014: EQ - 772, TU08 - 782, EX - 754
Last App:3/21/14

Message 3 of 6
EaglesFan2006
Established Contributor

@TNTransplant wrote:

@EaglesFan2006 wrote:

I also tried too early with my Citi card and it was an instant decline.  I did get a letter (online document through my account) within a couple of days that gave that as the reason.  I realized I was off by about one week, so I tried again two weeks later and got another instant decline - this time the reason was "too many new accounts."  (Completely true, as I'd opened about 5 new cards in Aug/Sept).  No HP either time.

That's interesting...so you got an instant decline even after the 6-month mark?  I would have thought you'd at least get the 30-minute message.  That must mean that the 30-minute message suggests a hard pull.  When did you ake your request?  My newest cards are Chase and Citi, opened in the same week.  The whole process is interesting...I wonder if they automatically checked your report on the 6-month mark.

Message 4 of 6
TNTransplant
Established Contributor

I got my first CLI with them on 5/21, and I tried for the second CLI on 11/17 - instant decline (too early by a few days).  I tried again on 11/27 and that's when I got another instant decline, with the online account message this time giving the "too many new accounts" reason.

I did not get a 30 min message with any of the three tries - everything was an instant decision, including the initial approval in May.

Citi softed me early in November after I did a small balance transfer to them, so I imagine everything was based on that SP.  Of course, that also allowed them to see the several new accounts that were reporting, which ultimately led to my decline... Smiley Sad

Starting Score: Jan 2012: EQ - 659, TU08 - 670, EX - ???
Current Score:April 2014: EQ - 772, TU08 - 782, EX - 754
Last App:3/21/14

Message 5 of 6
EaglesFan2006
Established Contributor

I had sent Citi the secure website asking about th 6-month thing and got this in response...

Dear Valued Customer:

We value your patronage and want to
insure your inquiry is resolved. We have forwarded your message to the
appropriate department so that it receives special attention. You will be
notified by email within 24 hours that a response has been posted in the Secured

It's odd because normally they just answer my question...what are they reviewing?  I hope this doesn't mean they are going to pull my report, because I said in the email that I didn't want that to happen.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.