cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi CLI-How much do they typically approve?

tag
ayasoysis
Established Member

Citi CLI-How much do they typically approve?

Hi Everyone,

I have had my Citi Diamond Preferred card for just over a year now. I am ready to ask for my first credit limit increase. Does anyone know if there is a specific amount that they will approve or if there any specific guidelines as to how they determine how much of a  credit limit increase to approve?

Thanks,

Aya

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

Re: Citi CLI-How much do they typically approve?

I got one for 5000 and another for 3000 on the same day, so I probably could have asked for 8000 on one card or even ask for mre. I would shoot for a really high number and let them counter it or maybe they will approve it.

Message 2 of 13
JaeJae12
Frequent Contributor

No, there is not a specific amount they will approve. I usually ask for 2x the amount of the CL i have now and usually they will approve the whole amount, or they will counter offer a amount which you can accept or not. If you don't like the counter offer they give you, you can let them do a hard-pull on your CR to see if the amount will be granted. Just to let you know that even with a hard pull there is a chance you will not get the full amount you wanted as well.

BCE- 50 k-BOA 123 100k -Freedom unlimited-95k- Citi DC- 200k-CSR 175k
Garden mode

Message 3 of 13
ezdoesit
Valued Contributor

@navigatethis12 wrote:

I got one for 5000 and another for 3000 on the same day, so I probably could have asked for 8000 on one card or even ask for mre. I would shoot for a really high number and let them counter it or maybe they will approve it.

Same here.  I got one on one card 4.5k to 10k.  Another 10 days later 3k to 7.5k.  Both were fairly quick approvals.  I guess they must have their own way to determine cli.  Not just credit score but income, other banking relationships with them, usage.  I would like someone said ask for at least double your current cl what is the worst they can do say no or counter.

Message 4 of 13
ayasoysis
Established Member

Thanks for the info everyone. I'm just going to go for it and ask for double!

Message 5 of 13
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Want to check people's experience again!

So I just  logged into the account, and began the process to request a CLI on one of my cards.   I fill in the info and get to a screen with:

By submitting this form you authorize Citibank, N.A. to check your credit history.

and a Continue/Cancel button.

Last time I did this, when I clicked continue, I got a HP and a denial, no counter offer.   It seems like some people get an opportunity to accept a SP amount (perhaps lower than they asked).   Why the difference?  Maybe they don't have a recent SP for my account?

Message 6 of 13
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

Longtime,

You are correct. Some people report that being an SP, but why is certainly a question unanswered at this point. Based on the posts I have seen, time may be a factor of some sort. Just in case you missed either of these threads (I don't think you did), here are recent experiences:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Citi-CLI-Questions/td-p/2307387

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Citi-CLI/m-p/2299805#M646840

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 7 of 13
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Thanks Snacktrader, I guess I am just hoping some magic has happened and things are now definitive!  I guess I won't hit Continue, don't want to risk an HP when it's quite likely they will still deny a CLI.

Message 8 of 13
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

I'm right there with you! Today is 2 months since my last app, and I'm really trying to keep my CRs clean until my next Amex CLI. The potential for a $27k increase far outweighs the chance for whatever increase Citi wants to give me. I think I will try it once my Amex CLI posts.

Still, I'm looking for more definitive data points from anyone out there who is willing to post them. It would be great to figure out when the chances for SP are highest. So anyone reading this who is trying for a CLI online, please report your experiences.

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 9 of 13
Dubious
Frequent Contributor

@longtimelurker

Did they send you a denial letter last time? What were their reasons? 

Might be worth a shot if those reasons have gone away or if you have a recent soft on file. 

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.