cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi CLI denied - questions

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Citi CLI denied - questions (updated with a question for others)

@LuckyBird wrote:

Pretty puzzling that they're apparently using that as the reason for denial if it was there when they gave you a prior CLI.

I only have one Citi card and my limit is much lower than yours, but I have gotten CLI's from them...they started my account at $1,000 & there's been an auto-increase and a SP one I requested.  And I DO have a public record - a paid state tax lien from 2010.  It would seem to me that the reason they're giving you isn't the real one, for whatever reason.  Maybe you're just at your internal limit with them or something, but why not just say that?!  I'm sure it's very frustrating for you.

Actually the funny thing is I am not frustrated with them, more like confused.  I mean, if they came back and said they felt I had a more than sufficient credit limit for that card (thus maybe the internal limit) then I'd be like cool, no big deal, I'll try again in 2017. 

Maybe they clung to that "reason" because they can stand firm behind that logic versus the internal limit song and dance?  I agree I don't believe that is the real reason but it is literally the only thing on my reports that any lender could cling to that is "negative" in writing (and yes, other lenders can easily decide I have too  much revolving credit, etc. but that is not a "negative reporting item").

Amusing and always want to share all the good and bad equally.

Message 11 of 14
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Re: Citi CLI denied - questions (updated with a question for others)

I think for whatever reason they didn't want to approve, and went with the obvious reasons not to, even though to your point, it wasn't an issue before. It was the easy way out, but in hopes to give it the appearance that it is legit, so that you would be understanding.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 12 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Citi CLI denied - questions

My theory is that, based on your profile and the math wizardry done by the underwriting department, Citi had already extended as much credit as it felt comfortable with the last CLI (and that was a pretty awesome CLI--congrats by the way). Once the collections falls off next year, revisit and you'll probably meet your goals with the card. I wouldn't push too hard right now and make them revisit the decision to extend 17k...
Message 13 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Citi CLI denied - questions

@Anonymous wrote:
My theory is that, based on your profile and the math wizardry done by the underwriting department, Citi had already extended as much credit as it felt comfortable with the last CLI (and that was a pretty awesome CLI--congrats by the way). Once the collections falls off next year, revisit and you'll probably meet your goals with the card. I wouldn't push too hard right now and make them revisit the decision to extend 17k...

Oh I completely agree and in no way am I going to call them again or revisit this until 3/2017.  As I previously posted I have zero issue if they had responded with something along those lines of we have extended as much credit as we feel sufficient, etc. 

Thanks to all the replies!

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.