cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi CLI-hard or soft??

Fred2280
New Contributor

Citi CLI-hard or soft??

On my account website Citi has a button for requesting a CLI. A form letter quickly comes up indicating I have a balances with them which result in a denial. They used a CR on file. (EQ). Is this a soft or hard pull?
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
TheArcher
New Contributor

Re: Citi CLI-hard or soft??

From my experience, Citi CLI's are soft. Smiley Wink
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it." -Thomas Paine
Message 2 of 15
debtisgood
Valued Contributor

Fred,

Did you fill out a form giving them info or did you click on it and it pretty much say no?

I believe if you fill out of the form and it takes a second to process then it is a hard....if you don't fill out info and it just says yes or no then I think it is soft or just in-house info they use.
Message 3 of 15
thrasher865
Valued Contributor

Fred2280 wrote:
They used a CR on file. (EQ). Is this a soft or hard pull?

Uh....   if I'm understanding you correctly, that's a no pull.  You saying they had already pulled your CR for an application or something, and they used it again for this CLI request?

Starting Score: EQ: 665 - TU: 687
Current Score: EQ: 749 - TU: ---
Goal Score: EQ: 760 - TU: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 15
Fred2280
New Contributor

Ater logging into my Citibank cc account, I'm clicking on the request for a credit line increase. Immediately a letter pops up indicating I have too many high balances with them. They have my credit report on file. (Equifax) I'll receive the letter in the mail. Hopefully, it's a soft pull. 
Message 5 of 15
thrasher865
Valued Contributor

If they used a CR on file, then when they initially obtained that CR, it will show up as a hard pull.

Message 6 of 15
smallfry
Senior Contributor

Pretty sure that as long as you don't fill out the form it is a soft pull.
Message 7 of 15
fused
Moderator Emeritus

smallfry wrote:
Pretty sure that as long as you don't fill out the form it is a soft pull.

Yes!!!!!
Message 8 of 15
thrasher865
Valued Contributor

I'm not fully understanding, but it seems he's saying that they used a CR that they already had on file before you applied for a CLI.  If so, I believe that you have a hard inquiry from whenever they obtained that CR, be it an application for a new account or whatever.  But, that would mean no additional inquiry for when you app'd for the CLI, as they used the CR they already had pulled.

We know from countless recent threads that citi gives a soft pull if they approve you for a CLI after clicking the luv button, but a hard if there is any form you must fill out.  But I didn't gather either one of those scenarios.

What I understand is you clicked the button and they immediately informed you that your balances were too high, and they obtained that information from a report already on file.  In that case, you should have no inquiries at all, and a soft if any, directly from this specific act of clicking the luv button.

If I'm misunderstanding, I aplogize.

Message Edited by thrasher865 on 06-08-2008 03:22 PM

Message 9 of 15
smallfry
Senior Contributor

The whole thing is strange to me anyway. Citi usually either just gives you a CLI or you get the form. I never heard of any explanations other than wait 6 months before you even dare to ask. Smiley Happy
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.