Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi COSTCO

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citi COSTCO

Years ago my wife and I had AMEX COSTCO and that CL grew extraordinariary quick. Our CL was $42k. We moved to an area that did not have any COSTCO around so we let our membership lapse and AMEX closed the card. Since we moved back into an area that has several cOSTCO within an hours drive time, does CITI give CLI like AMEX did? I have read various posts that CITI is not generous with CLI, although, I think this maybe a YMMV type? My scores in in the 765 range across the CB's. Thank you in advance for any information. 

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Citi COSTCO

I've read Citi is actually generous despite not having a 3x CLI route like Amex. This is of course if you actually use the card. They also seem more conservative than Amex.

On the side note most self initiated CLI requests with Citi are HPs, but at least your able to call recon and plead your case on why you need a high CL.
Message 2 of 11
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

Ours has gone from a $9k SL last Spring to $11k with very little usage.

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can’t speak for the Costco card, but my Citi Expedia Card has gone from 8,300 several years ago to 66,200 now.
Message 4 of 11
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Prestige and AA Executive typically get most of my spend (Citi-wise) and those CLs have risen considerably since I initially got approved.  Executive currently sits at $51K - 2 auto CLIs (SL was $31K Aug 2016).  Prestige is $45K.

Message 5 of 11
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Let's not forget a big factor here: INCOME

Someone making $25k can have the same FICO scores as someone making $250k, but the first guy will have a lot more trouble getting a $42k CL.

Most data points about CLs are useless because most people on here don't share that info.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 6 of 11
jl4
Established Contributor

I've considered the Citi Costco card because we shop there a lot and having the 2% we get now through our membership bump up to 4% plus a few extra points on other stuff sounds appealing. What's held me back so far was a previous high Util on my existing Diamond Preferred card and others. Now, I can't help but recall a whole host of negative reviews I see on places like CreditKarma for that card and how many people were closed without notice.

Perhaps there's a lot more to those stories than they're saying. I also see my significant other's parents use their Citi Costco card on the regular and they love it. 

EQ8: 779 (Inq: 1) | TU8: 771 (Inq: 0) | EX8: 763 (Inq: 4)
Total Rev: $182,500
Message 7 of 11
Sneakytiki
Frequent Contributor

I saw a ton of negative reviews for the card all over the place but I think most were from growing pains due to the switch which I guess was unexpected for many people. There also seems to be an issue with people letting membership lapse and so Citi cancels the card due to them not maintaining their Costco membership so they lose the rewards. The card also got hit for only getting Costco cashback once a year. None of these seem to be a big issue for me at least. 

Personally, I plan to use it for eating out when discover doesn't have their promo going and for costco purchases and I will pay in full every month. Hopefully, they don't object to that type of usage. I'm hoping to get 200-300 out of the card a year which equals one free costco trip and thats not too bad. 

Starting Score-(01/2017): FICO ||EX:575--EQ:549--TU:588||
Current Score--(04/2018): FICO ||EX:686--EQ:697--TU:715||

Message 8 of 11
MICHAELM30
Established Member

I think the card is good but of course ymmv. Started with a 9500 cl with mid 700 scores and since have increased to 12,500 through a soft pull. I dont really mind the once a year rewards and Citi is good about letting you know if it's going to be a hp for increased but so far with all 3 of my citi cards, they've all been soft.

Message 9 of 11
imaximous
Valued Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:
I've read Citi is actually generous despite not having a 3x CLI route like Amex. This is of course if you actually use the card. They also seem more conservative than Amex.

On the side note most self initiated CLI requests with Citi are HPs, but at least your able to call recon and plead your case on why you need a high CL.

CLIs with Citi are actually SPs. Our Costco and DC cards have links to request increases right on the main page. We've got a few increases like that and never a HP.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.