Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Cards

tag
corymcd88
Valued Contributor

Citi Cards

Are Citi any good. I keep geting in the mail Citi Diamond and online it said Citi Simplicity that I was pre approved for. My EX is 690 FICO, EQ 833 FICO and TU 767. All have paid 1 CO and 1 collection on them all with about a year to SOL.

Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Citi Cards

@corymcd88 wrote:

Are Citi any good. I keep geting in the mail Citi Diamond and online it said Citi Simplicity that I was pre approved for. My EX is 690 FICO, EQ 833 FICO and TU 767. All have paid 1 CO and 1 collection on them all with about a year to SOL.

Really depends on what benefits you require out of the various cards. Overall Citi has not kept up with the rewards game. Their latest being the Citi Double Cash is a fresh start in the right direction. They have some higher tier travel/hotel/airline cards that receive some favorable comments. Two years ago they had about 24 different cards on their web site. Today not so much. Other posters will weigh in giving you a rounded look at Citi Cards. Have had the Citi Diamond Preferred Card which in today's rewards world is pretty dead. Citi Simplicity is a plain regular card with a balance transfer option (that is it). The Citi Double Cash has stimulated excitement due to the 1% and 1% and many posters have acquired the card. Watch the site for more insight from posters.

Message 2 of 30
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

Isnt the Diamond Preferred card more for balance transfers and travelling? Personally i think theres better cards out there. I also personally am not a fan of Citi however thats just my opinion. 

BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 3 of 30
-Wade-
Valued Contributor

@corymcd88 wrote:

If i were to get a Citi card it would be the Double Cash. My 2 cents

"Garden Club Member " Old user name newportguy*** Current Score: myFico EQ - 830 (07/16/2015) Discover TU Fico - 833 (09/03/2016) EX Fico - 839 ( 09/01/2016 ) ******* Amex - BCP 11.5K * Discover - IT 43.5 K * U.S. Bank Cash + Visa Signature 15.3 K * PenFed - Cash Rewards 15K *PenFed Power Cash 19K ** Amex - GDSM 10K ******FICO 800 Club Member ******* EQ 830 *** TU 833 *** EX 839 ***
****** Last HP & New TL was March 6th 2014 *** GOAL: No HP's or New TL's for 2 + years and 840's Scores ******
Message 4 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm having a great time with my Double Cash card. Benefits are self-explanatory. Potential and easy 2% cashback on every purchase. Just wish the cashback posted as often as The Capital One Quicksilver (and Sallie Mae for that matter) but I have no gripe at all. Customer service is very responsive (secured messages, chat, Twitter, phone calls - only call the EO) so I'm happy about that. I actually used Citi Private Pass to get some concert tickets early from Ticketmaster and Live Nation as well, which is pretty dope.

Message 5 of 30
chalupaman
Super Contributor

If you have a lot of recent inquiries, don't waste your time with Citi. They are very strict when it comes to the number you can have in the last six months. 6 seems to be their maximum 

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 6 of 30
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Double Cash is nice but overhyped and really their only good non travel card. The rewards post at statement cut which I find annoying. Also Citi isn't good about growing with you IMO. I don't like their cards.
Message 7 of 30
Chris679
Established Contributor

OP you're going to get a bunch of different answers that are going to be based on everyone's personal experience. Personally Citi is my favorite CCC and I have cards from all of the major issuers. Of course this is because I use their cards the most so then I get treated well by them because of it. This perpetuates the cycle. Kind of a chicken and egg thing sometimes that is going to be different for everyone.
Message 8 of 30
chwebb1
Established Contributor

I personally don't care for Citi. Their customer service is easily the worst of any issuer I currently have, although they are generous with credit lines and APRs. And they do APR reductions. I would probably get an AMEX if I were you (it doesn't appear that you have an AMEX actually issued by AMEX).

photo NUS000000180_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo DISCOVER_IT_LG.gif photo card_1.png photo night-launch.png photo NUS000000012_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo bankamericard-better-balance-rewards-credit-card-small.png
$15000 ........... $12500 ............ $11750 ............ $10000 ........... $9400 ............ $5000 ............. $5000
In the Garden until at least November 2015
Message 9 of 30
kdm31091
Super Contributor

I found Citi to be stingy w APR and limits and I've heard they don't reduce APR often but YMMV obviously
Message 10 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.