Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Closed All My Accounts

tag
chalupaman
Super Contributor

Citi Closed All My Accounts

I'm obviously not happy but at the same time, I gotta take my lumps and just accept what happened here and move on from Citi for a while and then contact them back to see if they'll reopen any of my accounts. I don't even use my card with them anymore so it's not that big of a loss or anything but still. I was extremely livid for a bit and shocked at what happened but it's also a wake up call for me to slow down too. It would have been at least nice to have been notifed by phone as to what happened. I really need some advice from someone who's been through this.

No baddies or anything like that on my report. Just wanted to write this to let everyone know to be very careful.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 1 of 275
274 REPLIES 274
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: Citi Closed All My Accounts

Since you said slow down, are you saying they closed you because of MS? Not trying to start an MS debate, more just curious because it sounds like you know why they closed you down.

That sucks since I see you had a grandfathered Forward :-(

Message 2 of 275
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@chalupaman wrote:

I'm obviously not happy but at the same time, I gotta take my lumps and just accept what happened here and move on from Citi for a while and then contact them back to see if they'll reopen any of my accounts. I was extremely livid for a bit and shocked at what happened but it's also a wake up call for me to slow down too. 

Which raises the obvious question "Why did they do that?"    

Message 3 of 275
Anonymous
Not applicable

@chalupaman wrote:

I'm obviously not happy but at the same time, I gotta take my lumps and just accept what happened here and move on from Citi for a while and then contact them back to see if they'll reopen any of my accounts. I was extremely livid for a bit and shocked at what happened but it's also a wake up call for me to slow down too. It would have been at least nice to have been notifed by phone as to what happened. I really need some advice from someone who's been through this.

No baddies or anything like that on my report.

They probably just wanted to call back that Forward in your sig.

Message 4 of 275
Anonymous
Not applicable

@chalupaman wrote:

I'm obviously not happy but at the same time, I gotta take my lumps and just accept what happened here and move on from Citi for a while and then contact them back to see if they'll reopen any of my accounts. I don't even use my card with them anymore so it's not that big of a loss or anything but still. I was extremely livid for a bit and shocked at what happened but it's also a wake up call for me to slow down too. It would have been at least nice to have been notifed by phone as to what happened. I really need some advice from someone who's been through this.

No baddies or anything like that on my report. Just wanted to write this to let everyone know to be very careful.

@Popa,

Sorry to hear that... How many accounts did you open since the citi card if you don't mind me asking?  The reason I asked is because based on your limit on the Citi card, I highly doubt if they closed you for "MS".  It is probably for too many new accounts which can be interpretated as "aggressive credit seeking".  Slow down alittle if that is what it is and let the new accounts age.

Message 5 of 275
iwazl71
Frequent Contributor

Were you carrying high balances or did something negative hit your reports and lowered your credit scores?

Scores: EQ 796, EX 790, TU 807
Personal and Business Cards: 31 with 763k
High Limit Cards: CSP 50k | BoA Cash 81k | NFCU flagship 60k | Penfed Rewards 50k | Aviator Silver 52k
Message 6 of 275
chalupaman
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@chalupaman wrote:

I'm obviously not happy but at the same time, I gotta take my lumps and just accept what happened here and move on from Citi for a while and then contact them back to see if they'll reopen any of my accounts. I was extremely livid for a bit and shocked at what happened but it's also a wake up call for me to slow down too. 

Stuff they got on the CR. New accounts spooked them and I think the Home Depot one really triggered it the most. I'll take this as a huge learning experience and be 100x more carefulf from here on out. They said I was very welcome to see if I can get my accounts reopened with them in a few months.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 7 of 275
Anonymous
Not applicable

@chalupaman wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@chalupaman wrote:

Stuff they got on the CR. New accounts spooked them and I think the Home Depot one really triggered it the most. I'll take this as a huge learning experience and be 100x more carefulf from here on out. They said I was very welcome to see if I can get my accounts reopened with them in a few months.

Why not now?

Message 8 of 275
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry to hear this Smiley Sad Obviously not a good thing to have this happen but you seem to be taking it fairly well and viewing the decision with a mature attitude

Message 9 of 275
kdm31091
Super Contributor

I do see you have at least 5 or 6 accounts opened between October 2014 and now. I guess that's what scared them away, it still sucks though, because technically you weren't really doing anything wrong, but slow down is definitely good advice for everyone

Message 10 of 275
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.