Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Considering More Changes To Citi Prestige? Survey Sent Out

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Citi Considering More Changes To Citi Prestige? Survey Sent Out

Like I said. If you spend 4 straight nights at the same hotel and the price of the room is close to the same all 4 nights, this card is great. I spend roughly 60-80 days a year on the road and would only benefit from this maybe twice per year. I wouldn't benefit from this card. People who travel a lot on weekend trips wouldn't benefit from this. And people who wanted to travel to places like Vegas or New York where the weekend prices are way more expensive than weeknight prices wouldn't benefit from this. But of course this card is useful if you spend at least 4 nights at the same hotel a few times a year. I know people do that, but there's also many people who travel a lot who don't. And for those people it is a useless perk.
Message 11 of 40
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

As a business traveler, prior to my retirement, I traveled a lot, but I rarely stayed four nights in the same place unless it was a conference, and the hotel room was usually part of a conference package.  Since retiring, most of my vacation travel has been to Europe, and I tend to move from city to city every 3-4 days, so a fourth night free benefit doesn't do much for me.  For me, the most attractive features of the Prestige were the now-cancelled benefits that related to American Airlines.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 12 of 40
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
I got that notion from the many reviews I read about the card. And I said it's a useless perk if you don't spend 4 days at the same hotel too often, which it is. If you spend 4 days at a hotel, then yes it's great. But even the average traveler isn't doing that.

I'm sorry but you're not reading accurate reviews.  The 4th night free is what attracts people to that card.  The card isn't for  'average'  travelers.  People get the card specifically for that benefit because they do stay 4 nights or longer which is far less atypical than you make it out to be.  No other card benefit has the potetial to save you the kind of money that you can get with the 4th night free.  Not even anything close.

Some people definitely use it a lot. I suspect it's the frequent users that are driving Citi to consider making it 3rd night free, but capping it to twice a year. The same survey question also considers the option of requiring 4 nights, but limiting it to four times per year.

I speculated that Citi would end up facing this problem when the nerf was announced in 2016; when they nerf a card until it only appeals to card enthusiasts...4th nighters, travel insurance claimants, and retention seekers...those are generally the customers they're going to be stuck with!

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 13 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Like I said. If you spend 4 straight nights at the same hotel and the price of the room is close to the same all 4 nights, this card is great. I spend roughly 60-80 days a year on the road and would only benefit from this maybe twice per year. I wouldn't benefit from this card. People who travel a lot on weekend trips wouldn't benefit from this. And people who wanted to travel to places like Vegas or New York where the weekend prices are way more expensive than weeknight prices wouldn't benefit from this. But of course this card is useful if you spend at least 4 nights at the same hotel a few times a year. I know people do that, but there's also many people who travel a lot who don't. And for those people it is a useless perk.

That's all fine.  The card was never intended to be for all travelers.  The 4th night free was introduced by Citi to set it apart from other travel cards and what was/is attracted people to that card. Even with the change it can still save people thousands of dollars a year.  Just because it might be a useless perk for you and some others doesn't mean that it's useless for those who have the card and got it for that specific benefit. There isn't a single travel card out there that is great for everyone.  

Message 14 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wasCB14 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
I got that notion from the many reviews I read about the card. And I said it's a useless perk if you don't spend 4 days at the same hotel too often, which it is. If you spend 4 days at a hotel, then yes it's great. But even the average traveler isn't doing that.

I'm sorry but you're not reading accurate reviews.  The 4th night free is what attracts people to that card.  The card isn't for  'average'  travelers.  People get the card specifically for that benefit because they do stay 4 nights or longer which is far less atypical than you make it out to be.  No other card benefit has the potetial to save you the kind of money that you can get with the 4th night free.  Not even anything close.

Some people definitely use it a lot. I suspect it's the frequent users that are driving Citi to consider making it 3rd night free, but capping it to twice a year. The same survey question also considers the option of requiring 4 nights, but limiting it to four times per year.

I speculated that Citi would end up facing this problem when the nerf was announced in 2016; when they nerf a card until it only appeals to card enthusiasts...4th nighters, travel insurance claimants, and retention seekers...those are generally the customers they're going to be stuck with!

I think you're exactly right-Citi is considering changing it because it's costing them too much money not because it's a seldom used beneift.

Message 15 of 40
wasCB14
Super Contributor

The card is popular among consultants and other people who travel for work...arranging their own travel and paying with their own card, then getting reimbursed for expenses.

Book 4 nights, bill for 4 nights, get reimbursed for 4 nights...and keep the statement credit!

Message 16 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got similar survey about 3-4 weeks ago but Chase Hyatt Visa, a lot of new options of benefits Hyatt Visa we will see in the future, including redesigned new card. Very indeed long survey! We will see something NEW from Citi Prestige and Chase Hyatt Visa soon or later.

Message 17 of 40
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I got similar survey about 3-4 weeks ago but Chase Hyatt Visa, a lot of new options of benefits Hyatt Visa we will have in the future, including redesigned new card. Very indeed long survey! We will see something NEW from Citi Prestige and Chase Hyatt Visa soon or later.

Not all surveys mean imminent changes. There was a big survey for IHG and I don't recall any subsequent changes.

Message 18 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would product change to the Prestige and drop the Amex Plat if the rewards structure were better. 

Something like 5x on flights and hotels, 3x on restaurants, 1.5x on everything else would be better. 

Message 19 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

5x dining would make this card a killer

Message 20 of 40
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.