cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Costco Visa travel/dining now includes Uber/UberEats and more for 3% categories

tag
startover909
Valued Member

Citi Costco Visa travel/dining now includes Uber/UberEats and more for 3% categories

I read several articles and forum posts online, mostly older but some as recent as 06/2019, which stated that the Citi Costco VISA's travel and restaurant bonus categories are somewhat limited and do not include Uber etc. 

I got my card in 08/2019 and can confirm that I'm getting 3% travel on Uber rides as well as some other supposedly excluded categories, including bus fares and toll road fees. The coverage seems to be pretty broad.

UberEats codes as restaurants and earns 3% too, unlike some older posts suggested.

Just want to post it here as a reference point for those who search for this topic in the future. If you have similar or different recent experiences, please post them here too.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: Citi Costco VISA's "travel" category now appears to include Uber and more, Uber Eats

Glad to see the change.

I put a few Eats orders on my Costco card in late 2018, separating them from CSR spend to track reimbursements more easily. I definitely only got the 1% then.

...a moment of nostalgia for a time before their fees went overboard...

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 2 of 5
startover909
Valued Member

Re: Citi Costco VISA's "travel" category now appears to include Uber and more, Uber Eats

@wasCB14 wrote:

Glad to see the change.

I put a few Eats orders on my Costco card in late 2018, separating them from CSR spend to track reimbursements more easily. I definitely only got the 1% then.

LoL. Uber sends promo codes sometimes and with the right ones they come out a wash. Little or no orders without coupons is a way for self-discpline to order less and save some money (and less laziness haha).

What's more annoying is the number of restaurants that mark up outrageous prices on their UberEats menu. Coupled with the percentage based Uber fees on top = not fun.

CSR's 3% UR is so much better than plain 3% CB though. One of the next top cards on my list.

Message 3 of 5
staticvoidmain
Established Contributor

Meanwhile, on the Uber Visa thread, I was just saying how I would ditch Uber Visa in favor of Costco's for dining spend etc. More win for Costco.

Message 4 of 5
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@startover909 wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

Glad to see the change.

LoL. Uber sends promo codes sometimes and with the right ones they come out a wash. Little or no orders without coupons is a way for self-discpline to order less and save some money (and less laziness haha).

What's more annoying is the number of restaurants that mark up outrageous prices on their UberEats menu. Coupled with the percentage based Uber fees on top = not fun.

CSR's 3% UR is so much better than plain 3% CB though. One of the next top cards on my list.

I know restaurants aren't supposed to, but it definitely happens. I don't blame the restaurants, given that Uber (at least for a long time, not sure about now) took something like 30% of the order value from the restaurant - on top of charging the customer a delivery fee. Not much transparency about where the money goes at all.

Uber still hasn't turned a profit, though. I'm curious to see what will happen to the share price when the insider lockup expires in about a week.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.