Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Credit Card Questions

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citi Credit Card Questions

Hey guys! 

I had some questions/comments about Citi credit cards. I've been a bit confused because there have been a lot of inconsistencies with them.

Does Citi allow product changes? 

Some reps say yes and some say will not allow it. The only concrete detail I found was that product changes are possible after having the account open for 1 year. 

Does Citi allow credit line transfers from one account to another? 

A supervisor gave me that option but I wasn't sure if I wanted to do it at the time, I called back again after I decided to transfer my ThankYou Prefferred credit line over to my Double Cash card and a different rep. told me the law has changed and that can no longer be done. This was in a matter of a couple days. 

Lastly, can two accounts be combined into one? 

I see this has been possible in the past, but seems no longer possible? 

Any help would be appreciated. If it wern't for the double cash card I wouldn't want to be a Citi customer. Their service sucks based on my experience.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
creditconcept
Regular Contributor

Re: Citi Credit Card Questions

Was the couple of days like December 22 to January 3rd or something where it actually was possible the laws changed over that short time span?

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@creditconcept wrote:
Was the couple of days like December 22 to January 3rd or something where it actually was possible the laws changed over that short time span?

I called on the 21st and called again just now and the rep said that the laws have changed and he's sorry for the miscommunication.. I just find it odd since their has been so many inconsistencies with them already.

Message 3 of 13
mountainmom
Frequent Contributor

Many on this board have gotten product changes. I have read they aren't as good with combining limits.
I'd try calling back.. ya know. In case the laws have changed back lol

Eq 702 TU 707 Exp 718
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mountainmom wrote:
Many on this board have gotten product changes. I have read they aren't as good with combining limits.
I'd try calling back.. ya know. In case the laws have changed back lol

lol! Do you know if it has to be within 12 months of account opening? 

Message 5 of 13
mountainmom
Frequent Contributor

So you already have a double cash and a typ? They may not be willing to combine lines. But no its not against the law. Chase is perfectly willing to do it.

Eq 702 TU 707 Exp 718
Message 6 of 13
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@mountainmom wrote:
So you already have a double cash and a typ? They may not be willing to combine lines. But no its not against the law. Chase is perfectly willing to do it.

Right, might be against their current policy, but not against the law.

Citi is very changeable, particularly on the question of moving CLs.   Some have been successful, particularly with the EO, others less so.   As you have seen you will also get inconsistent stories, when I tried I was told "Not possible" "Absolutely not possible" "Yes, but you have to close the card AND keep $5K CL on the closed card" etc.

So you can call a few times.  That said, there may even be real policies from time to time, and then you do tend to get more consistent answers.

PCs is much less of an issue providing the card is old enough (a year or maybe 13 months).  I've recently done two PCs with Citi.

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@mountainmom wrote:

Right, might be against their current policy, but not against the law.

Citi is very changeable, particularly on the question of moving CLs.   Some have been successful, particularly with the EO, others less so.   As you have seen you will also get inconsistent stories, when I tried I was told "Not possible" "Absolutely not possible" "Yes, but you have to close the card AND keep $5K CL on the closed card" etc.

So you can call a few times.  That said, there may even be real policies from time to time, and then you do tend to get more consistent answers.

PCs is much less of an issue providing the card is old enough (a year or maybe 13 months).  I've recently done two PCs with Citi.

Cool thanks for the info Smiley Happy I'm not really sure what to do because I have both the ThankYou Preffered card and Double Cash card, but I really don't need the ThankYou card anymore after I got the DC card. Does anyone know if it would hurt my credit score if I closed my newly opened ThankYou card? It hasn't been even 2 months having the card..  I have a credit score of 740. 

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mountainmom wrote:

Yes you're right! I've never had any issues with Chase or Capital One. Capital One was actually awesome, I had a Journey Card that I converted over to a Quicksilver and also got a 3K credit increase AND a 100 cash back bonus. - Forever grateful Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 13
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@mountainmom wrote:

Yes you're right! I've never had any issues with Chase or Capital One. Capital One was actually awesome, I had a Journey Card that I converted over to a Quicksilver and also got a 3K credit increase AND a 100 cash back bonus. - Forever grateful Smiley Happy

Right, but Cap One is perhaps the major offender in movingsCLs  (i..e moving all of or part of a CL from one card to another), don't know of anyone who has succeeded with that.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.