Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Credit Card approval?

tag
gymbo731
Regular Contributor

Citi Credit Card approval?

I am looking into applying for a Citi Bank CC. Has anyone been approved lately and can you lmk what your credit was like? I don't want to get denied a card and then be stick with a inquriry

Does anyone know CitiBank's standards? I don't have any negative items on my CR, but bc of the credit crunch, I still don't want to get denied. What is there min FICO score needed for a card?

Starting Score: 640
Current Score: 744
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 31
30 REPLIES 30
keith021
Regular Contributor

Re: Citi Credit Card approval?

@gymbo731 wrote:

I am looking into applying for a Citi Bank CC. Has anyone been approved lately and can you lmk what your credit was like? I don't want to get denied a card and then be stick with a inquriry

Does anyone know CitiBank's standards? I don't have any negative items on my CR, but bc of the credit crunch, I still don't want to get denied. What is there min FICO score needed for a card?

I'm not sure about their FICO score requirements, but I know that Citi doesn't like a lot of inquires. It's best to apply with them when you have 0 inquires on your report. I believe they use a internal scoring system instead of FICO scores.

Starting Score: 665
Current Score: 715
Goal Score: 750

Message 2 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

About three weeks ago I got aproved for a Citi Aadvantage card with a $12K limit. All of my FICO's are around 700. I did have to send a pay stub, bank statement, and utility bill though. I am rebuilding and have a few negative items on the report but I cary no balances and have been clean for almost 2.5 years now. I do have quite a few inquiries in the past 6 months though (5 or so). My highest limit on any other card was $750 on a Cap 1. Good Luck!

Message 3 of 31
gymbo731
Regular Contributor

I live in NY. Do you know what credit agency they pull? I would like to check my credit with that agency and see if there are any inquiries.

Message 4 of 31
CHARGE_IT
Regular Contributor

@gymbo731 wrote:
I live in NY. Do you know what credit agency they pull? I would like to check my credit with that agency and see if there are any inquiries.

Too many inquires are too many, no one can say how many a bank will or won't tolerate. I had five or six when approved by Citi for two cards at one application. They were spread over a year or more.

More importantly; banks do not like a lot of inquiries acquired in a short period of time; definitely six months, but maybe one year also. It's not really the number, it's the time period. I have gotten my best accounts with my worst inquiry numbers.

Good luck,

CI

Message 5 of 31
blacklotus
Regular Contributor

I applied in 06/09 for the CITI Platinum select online- I never received "preselected" or "preapproval" letters from them. I had probably 5-7 inquiries when I did.  I got approved shortly thereafter for a 0% intro rate and a $3000 CL.  I don't know how many more months I am eligible for the 0% but it is still 0%.  BTW I had no other prime cards when I applied- which kind of shocked me when I got it.

As far as the quality of the card I would say it's excellent.  Caveat being that never miss a payment otherwise your APR goes up to almost 30%.  I also like the rewards system the card has except that you have to shop at certain airlines and merchants to use points.  

I must've not checked the website enough because I just found out on this forum what the "luv" button is a few days ago.  I went there as instructed and I was automatically approved for CLI of $1400 by just pressing a button.  I'm thinking that they probably offered me the button before but I never pressed it so the offer "expired"- lesson learned I will keep an eye on it.  Very easy CLI.  But my CL is now $4400.  

This is why I love this card. 

TU Fico 736 EQ Fico 730 (December 2012)
Message 6 of 31
gymbo731
Regular Contributor

you didn't happen to know your FICO score, did you?

Message 7 of 31
blacklotus
Regular Contributor

I think they were around 700.

Message 8 of 31
Thunderseven
Regular Contributor

blacklotus,

Do you recall which CRA they pulled their inquiry from?

Thunderseven.....TU-8 835 (11/02/2023) EQ-8 822 (11/02/2023) EX-8 828 (11/02/2023) I don't ask for much, the truth will do just fine....
Message 9 of 31
blacklotus
Regular Contributor

I just checked the "inquiry" tab of MyFico (this site) and they pulled Equifax.  This is suprising to me because I probably had a sub 700 score or it may have even been possibly 690 at that time.  Sorry I don't keep records of my scores that far back.

I noticed that my EQ scores are always a tad lower than TU. 

Message 10 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.