Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Credit Card approval?

tag
Thunderseven
Regular Contributor

Re: Citi Credit Card approval?

Thanks!!!
Thunderseven.....TU-8 835 (11/02/2023) EQ-8 822 (11/02/2023) EX-8 828 (11/02/2023) I don't ask for much, the truth will do just fine....
Message 11 of 31
blacklotus
Regular Contributor

Hey I just went to the Citi website I checked my CL and it is actually $4600.  On my last posts I thought it was $1400.  I actually just got a $1600 automatic CLI a few days ago- I pressed a button and all of a sudden my CL was showing from $3000 to $4600.

TU Fico 736 EQ Fico 730 (December 2012)
Message 12 of 31
Gh0st
Contributor

This might not mean much to some here but I guess this is for those with  thin files like mine.

684  Equifax

avg account 1 year and oldest at 1.4. Current ult is at 40%. One CC and one store card under my belt.

Applied for citiforward and didn't get instant approval. Called today and found out I got approved with a $4000 limit( i did have to include school info, maybe that influenced decision).My cap 1 card was at $1500 and my store card was at $1900. They were very generous, happy to have my first real card that will actually grow over time(cap 1 is capped at 1500).

.Believe.
Message 13 of 31
blacklotus
Regular Contributor

The other card I would've apped for is the Citi Forward- it seems like an excellent card.  I have the Citi Platinum.   

Message 14 of 31
Gh0st
Contributor

Yea the forward seems pretty great and I'm a college student pretty much so everything I buy goes along those specific categories. I know its not a full 5% due to the recent changes in their rewards but its still one of the highest. I'm a bit worried by some of the things I hear about the ThankYou network so hopefully everything ends up being ok.
Message Edited by Gh0st on 02-23-2010 04:35 PM
.Believe.
Message 15 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would run for the hills!  After 23 years of Credit History with CITI, they are closing our account on May 13th..  We have never been delinquent, never paid late, always paid the balance in full and have credit scores over 700 on all 3 bureaus.  The letter we received stated that we didn't meet their criteria for credit worthiness, even though we monitor our credit scores and they haven't changed in the last 6 months.  After 23 years.... what a shame.

Per their customer service team:  there is nothing they can do.  We routinely charge 3k+ each month and pay it off, but that doesn't seem to matter to them.  I asked if they weren't making money on us because we pay balance in full, but was told they made money on our usage each time we used the card.  They verbally thanked me for our loyalty....Ironic.  They said they were closing many accounts due to inactivity, delinquency, or information obtained on a credit report.  Again, we monitor our credit and neither of the other reasons apply to us.  We simply don't meet their credit standards (!)

Not sure what they feel is adequate credit, but I don't appreciate the anticipated "ding" our credit because of this closure, as what I am learning is that closure of a "seasoned" account will affect the score and utilization % will increase as a result of the burden of our racing expenses will be forced on another account. 

I would not recommend Citi because if we don't meet their standards after 23 years, I'm not sure who does.

Good luck

Message 16 of 31
blacklotus
Regular Contributor

"I would not recommend Citi because if we don't meet their standards after 23 years, I'm not sure who does."

What are yor Fico scores NOW?

Message 17 of 31
smallfry
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I would run for the hills!  After 23 years of Credit History with CITI, they are closing our account on May 13th..  We have never been delinquent, never paid late, always paid the balance in full and have credit scores over 700 on all 3 bureaus.  The letter we received stated that we didn't meet their criteria for credit worthiness, even though we monitor our credit scores and they haven't changed in the last 6 months.  After 23 years.... what a shame.

Per their customer service team:  there is nothing they can do.  We routinely charge 3k+ each month and pay it off, but that doesn't seem to matter to them.  I asked if they weren't making money on us because we pay balance in full, but was told they made money on our usage each time we used the card.  They verbally thanked me for our loyalty....Ironic.  They said they were closing many accounts due to inactivity, delinquency, or information obtained on a credit report.  Again, we monitor our credit and neither of the other reasons apply to us.  We simply don't meet their credit standards (!)

Not sure what they feel is adequate credit, but I don't appreciate the anticipated "ding" our credit because of this closure, as what I am learning is that closure of a "seasoned" account will affect the score and utilization % will increase as a result of the burden of our racing expenses will be forced on another account. 

I would not recommend Citi because if we don't meet their standards after 23 years, I'm not sure who does.

Good luck

Just a guess but if you PIF all your cards every month before the statements cut there will never be a ding as far as utilization goes. You say you always paid the card off. Did you revolve balances with Citi? Do you revolve balances on your other cards?

Message 18 of 31
Carlosjb3
Contributor

You gots to be kidding me?? Hhhmmm.....I don't understand how citi can pull something like that on you Smiley Surprised. Loyal customer = Business profit...at least thats what I always thought.

Fico 8 Scores [Nov 2018]: Equifax 677 | TransUnion 667 | Experian 668
Message 19 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

for a period of approximately 4 years, we did revolove balances, still paying well over the min amount due, as our racing expenses were wholly funded by us with no sponsorship.  Still can't justify why they are closing the account, revolving or not, and why if it's not profitable for them, can't they just say so!  To blame it on our credit is simply a joke!  BTW, I just  checked our updated score and one of our credit scores is 846!  We almost can't do any better than that! 

We have 4 other major credit cards, and I am afraid the trend will turn to them next, leaving us with no options RE credit cards, but only bank debit cards. 

As far as other accounts, we treat them all equally.  It only made sense to use the cards (and the bank's dime) during the grace period on purchases, keeping our money in the bank until the bills were due.  Then we pay them off by their due date.  We don't pay interest, so reduced or increased interest rates don't much matter to me. 

We use the cards to the tune of about $6000 per month or more, depending on which kid's tuition is due when. (We have 4 in college).  Is this the wrong way to use credit in this day and age?  I am from the old school:  If you can't afford it, don't get/do it.   Any feedback is appreciated.

Message 20 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.