Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Credit Limits Transfers/Consolidation

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citi Credit Limits Transfers/Consolidation

Hi, I have a Citi Double Cash card with a 9k limit and 18 months ago I got a Citi Simplicity card with 4k limit specifically for their 0% intro APR on BT for 18 months. Now that the intro APR expired and my Simplicity is down to 0 again I would like to transfer the CL to the Double Cash since I have no use for the Simplicity anymore. Plus my DC has lower APR anyway. 

Can I transfer the entire 4k and close the Simplicity or do I have to leave $500 as a minimum limit and can only transfer 3.5k?

Also, does anybody know why does Citi require a HP for that? I'm not asking for any additional credit thats not available to me right now so its not like there is gonna be any additional liablity for them. Seems like a totally unnecessary thing to do. Just curious about the logic behind it.

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Citi Credit Limits Transfers/Consolidation

I can't testify to what it takes to transfer as the only Iti card I have is Home Depot. But Citi is a conservative and sometimes aggravating lender in that the vast majority of the time, if you ask them for something they're going to HP you. It's just what they do. 

Message 2 of 7
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

I understand your sentiment. But each lender is different and they did approve you for 2 different cards so i guess its their way of maybe just insuring your worthy of the transfer. Perhaps pulling a report allows them to see where you are in credit at the moment to cta. I heard its hard to do but in the end if possible, a hp to move the limits is better than a flat no Smiley Wink
Message 3 of 7
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Citi does not normally technically reallocate credit lines. I think I have seen ONE example of it in recent years. What they WILL do is a HP for a CLI on one card for the same amount that you are reducing another card by (or closing). Unless you are maximum exposure with them, it’s generally best to just take the HP for the amount you actually want on a card, and then either close or product change the other card. The lack of reallocation is frustrating at times. I’ve considered product changing my Premier to Rewards+ and product changing my Rewards+ to Premier to swap their credit lines. 😂
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just be aware simplicity is an interesting card, citi does provide somewhat frequent "citi easy deals" that keeps the card useful to some degree. I would personally not close it.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Interesting, I was just wondering about this the other day since my BIZ AA only came with a $3K SL. Wanted to move half of my personal CL to it and the other half to my Diamond P.  So thanks for the info, even though it's not what I wanted to hear. lol

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

They HP'ed me to reallocate, probably me recalled earlier. Had to go through EO. No way around HP they said. Same deal, Simplicity to DC.

Left it open tho, hoping to PC one day.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.