Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Custom Cash Card

tag
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: Citi Custom Cash Card

From the looks of things (the fine-print in the bonus) this is a TYP earning card, which one might assume would make a PC from another TYP card easy-peasy. 

Also, sorta related, the text indicates that the 20k TYPs can be cashed-out for $200.  I knew Citi had started allowing the Premier to cash-out at full 1¢/point value, but I had thought that was only for the cards with an AF.  Anyway, I just checked my Rewards+ and it now has the option as well.  Smiley Happy

Now if Amex will start letting us cash-out MRs at 1¢ without messing around with gift cards we'll be getting somewhere, LOL.  <off-topic>

Edited to add:  I guess I now finally have motivation to convert my Double Cash to a TYP earning card.

Message 11 of 550
FormerCollegeDJ
Frequent Contributor

@simplynoir wrote:

@TheBoondocks wrote:

Wow I'm very amazed! How long could this card last tho?

It's basically a Freedom/Flex/Discover IT/*insert 5% rotating category card* so forever? I don't see this going away at all

I view this card as being more analogous to the US Bank Cash+ and Elan Financial Services Max Cash Preferred due to the selectable 5% categories which are somewhat limited in some cases.

Playing the credit card rewards game since early May 2020.

Current credit cards:
American Express: Hilton Honors
Bank of America: Customized Cash Rewards Visa
Capital One: SavorOne MC
Chase: Amazon Visa, Freedom Unlimited Visa, Freedom Flex MC
Citi: Sears/ThankYou Rewards MC, My Best Buy Visa, Custom Cash MC
Comenity: AAA Travel Advantage Visa
Discover: Cash It
Elan: S&T Bank Max Cash Preferred Visa
FNBO: Amtrak Guest Rewards Platinum MC
PSECU: Founder's Visa
U.S. Bank: Cash+ Visa
Wells Fargo: Autograph Visa
Store cards: Kohl's

Next target credit cards: Wells Fargo Bilt Mastercard (probably), Truist Enjoy Travel Visa (maybe)
Message 12 of 550
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just applied and was approved.  I posted about it in the approvals section.

Message 13 of 550
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@FormerCollegeDJ wrote:

@simplynoir wrote:

@TheBoondocks wrote:

It's basically a Freedom/Flex/Discover IT/*insert 5% rotating category card* so forever? I don't see this going away at all

I view this card as being more analogous to the US Bank Cash+ and Elan Financial Services Max Cash Preferred due to the selectable 5% categories which are somewhat limited in some cases.

Eh, semantics. My point was the earning structure of the card at the current 5% with the cap I believe isn't going away based on similar cards out there

Message 14 of 550
FormerCollegeDJ
Frequent Contributor

Now I REALLY want Sears/Kmart to go out of business so I might be able to convert my Sears/Thank You Rewards Mastercard into this new Custom Cash Card. Smiley Happy

Between this card, Wells Fargo's impending introduction of the Active Cash card (and announcement of other new cards coming), Capital One's recent upgrades on some of their cards (like the Savor and SavorOne getting groceries and streaming as 3% categories), and Chase's always aggressive offers (such as their upgrade to the Freedom Unlimited and introduction of the Freedom Flex to replace the Freedom card last year), things are good for those of us who like no annual fee cards and pursue mostly cash back rewards.

Hopefully American Express is paying attention.  I know they like to focus with their cards on high spenders who travel a lot, but their no annual fee offerings are gradually becoming less competitive.

Current credit cards:

Next target credit cards: Wells Fargo Bilt Mastercard (probably), Truist Enjoy Travel Visa (maybe)
Message 15 of 550
FormerCollegeDJ
Frequent Contributor

@simplynoir wrote:

@FormerCollegeDJ wrote:

@simplynoir wrote:

@TheBoondocks wrote:

Eh, semantics. My point was the earning structure of the card at the current 5% with the cap I believe isn't going away based on similar cards out there

I concur it also has similarities to the Discover It Cash and Chase Freedom Flex and that this card isn't likely to go away soon, especially considering Citi (IMO) views itself as a major competitor to Chase and American Express as offering the best combination of credit cards.

One thing I don't like about the new Citi card is the $500 monthly limit, which is less flexible than the $1500 quarterly limit all of the other aforementioned cards (CFF, Discover It, US Bank Cash+, Elan MCP) have.  It makes the Citi Custom Cash card less attractive in categories with few purchases but high spend on those purchases that aren't necessarily recurring (such as live entertainment purchases for people who attend more sports events and/or concerts at specific times of the year).

On the other hand, IMO the Custom Cash card is great for say grocery spending if you are in a 1-2 person household, such as me.

Current credit cards:

Message 16 of 550
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@FormerCollegeDJ wrote:

I concur it also has similarities to the Discover It Cash and Chase Freedom Flex and that this card isn't likely to go away soon, especially considering Citi (IMO) views itself as a major competitor to Chase and American Express as offering the best combination of credit cards.

One thing I don't like about the new Citi card is the $500 monthly limit, which is less flexible than the $1500 quarterly limit all of the other aforementioned cards (CFF, Discover It, US Bank Cash+, Elan MCP) have.  It makes the Citi Custom Cash card less attractive in categories with few purchases but high spend on those purchases that aren't necessarily recurring (such as live entertainment purchases for people who attend more sports events and/or concerts at specific times of the year).

On the other hand, IMO the Custom Cash card is great for say grocery spending if you are in a 1-2 person household, such as me.

Yeah, the $500/month versus $1500/quarter at times isn't as useful, but the trade-off is that you're not locked-in to a single category (or two) for three months.  You could do grocery stores one month, hardware stores the next, then a weekend getaway (travel) for the third.  Actually, the inclusion of travel is notable in itself, since none of the other 5% cards have travel as a category.

I agree that for a single or couple, this card definitely has potential (especially for non-Walmart grocery). If it had a bookstore category it would be darn-near perfect (and this thread would already be at 100 replies, ha). It's also easy to understand why they're limiting this product to one account per person.

Message 17 of 550
Citylights18
Valued Contributor

What about the Thank You points? Can you exchange them 1 to 1 with all of the Citi airline partners?

If you could it might make more sense than a Rewards+

Official travel point totals as of 12/26/23 (1,382,693 Total Points)
Chase Ultimate Rewards 661,525 | IHG One Rewards 144,443 | Hilton Honors 143,801 | AMEX Membership Rewards 102,729 | World of Hyatt 90,413 | Marriott Bonvoy 65,343 | Citi Thank You 62,712 | Wells Fargo Rewards 33,652 | Southwest Rapid Rewards 28,105 | United MileagePlus 13,316 | British Airways Avios 12,333 | Jet Blue TrueBlue 11,661 | NASA Platinum Rewards 1,883 | AA Advantage 1,744 | Navy Federal Rewards 792 | Delta Sky Miles 175 | Virgin Atlantic Virgin Points 100 | Lowes Business Rewards 6,992 ($69.92) | Amazon Rewards 475 ($4.75) | Discover CB 499 ($4.99)
Message 18 of 550
ficosuave
Contributor

Citi, you have my attention.

Wells Fargo, take notes.

Message 19 of 550
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Citylights18 wrote:

What about the Thank You points? Can you exchange them 1 to 1 with all of the Citi airline partners?

If you could it might make more sense than a Rewards+

This is interesting... I didn't think transferring points was possible with a no-AF card, but I poked around on my Rewards+ dashboard a bit and I found what appears to be a transfer option to JetBlue TrueBlue (they don't make it easy to find).  If the Rewards+ has the option, I'll be surprised if the Custom Cash doesn't as well.  (I don't know if other airlines are available to folks with more TYPs.)

I'll leave any further speculation on transfers to our resident travel gurus...

Message 20 of 550
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.