Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Custom Cash Card

tag
BigBS
Senior Contributor

Re: Citi Custom Cash Card

@UncleB wrote:

Doctor of Credit has an article up on the new card:  https://www.doctorofcredit.com/citi-launches-custom-cash-card-5x-points-cash-on-up-to-500-spend-per-... 

In the comments someone attempted to do a PC and was told it wasn't available yet, which isn't surprising given that the card has only been offered for a few hours and of course Citi's antiquated IT will take some time to catch-up.

Guess I will try back in July or August. Not in rush, the Simplicity I have gets almost no use anyway.

Score: EQ(809) EX(819) TU(800)
INQs: EQ(7) EX(16) TU(8)
Last INQ: 13 Jul 23

Total Credit Limit - $2.0M

Message 31 of 550
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@BigBS wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

Doctor of Credit has an article up on the new card:  https://www.doctorofcredit.com/citi-launches-custom-cash-card-5x-points-cash-on-up-to-500-spend-per-... 

In the comments someone attempted to do a PC and was told it wasn't available yet, which isn't surprising given that the card has only been offered for a few hours and of course Citi's antiquated IT will take some time to catch-up.

Guess I will try back in July or August. Not in rush, the Simplicity I have gets almost no use anyway.

It might not take that long... "July or August" sounds to me like a response from a CSR who is wanting to get the customer off their line. 

Message 32 of 550
PullingMeSoftly
Valued Contributor

We interrupt your rotator app plan with this breaking message from Citibank........

Glad this was announced now, I was just about to pull the trigger on a couple apps. This changes the game a bit for me, need to reassess my category priorities.

Message 33 of 550
FormerCollegeDJ
Frequent Contributor

@coldfusion wrote:

@FormerCollegeDJ wrote:

Now I REALLY want Sears/Kmart to go out of business so I might be able to convert my Sears/Thank You Rewards Mastercard into this new Custom Cash Card. Smiley Happy

Nooooooooooo...... Citi keeps throwing lucrative promos my way, my Sears MC is a big TYP earner.

I can see myself potentially converting my DC over though.

Yeah, the main reason I rarely use my Citi Sears/Thank You Rewards Mastercard is its low credit limit, but the offers sent associated with the card are attractive.  I'm not going to go out of my way to request a CLI on the card, but I do receive one to $5000 or higher, I'll probably start using the card more frequently.  Ironically, I just received an email from Citi requesting me to update my salary and housing cost information a few days ago (made the updates a couple days ago), so I'll see if they make any changes on my card.

Not to take this thread in another direction, but if/when Sears and Kmart close, it will be interesting to see what Citi does with the Sears/Thank You Rewards cards, which despite the Sears co-branding are for all intents and purposes are purely (though basic) Thank You Rewards cards at this point.  The new Custom Cash card, because it offers Thank You Rewards, IMO offers a clear product conversion card from Citi's point of view if/when Sears/Kmart go out of business.

Playing the credit card rewards game since early May 2020.

Current credit cards:
American Express: Hilton Honors
Bank of America: Customized Cash Rewards Visa
Capital One: SavorOne MC
Chase: Amazon Visa, Freedom Unlimited Visa, Freedom Flex MC
Citi: Sears/ThankYou Rewards MC, My Best Buy Visa, Custom Cash MC
Comenity: AAA Travel Advantage Visa
Discover: Cash It
Elan: S&T Bank Max Cash Preferred Visa
FNBO: Amtrak Guest Rewards Platinum MC
PSECU: Founder's Visa
U.S. Bank: Cash+ Visa
Wells Fargo: Autograph Visa
Store cards: Kohl's

Next target credit cards: Wells Fargo Bilt Mastercard (probably), Truist Enjoy Travel Visa (maybe)
Message 34 of 550
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@FormerCollegeDJ wrote:

@coldfusion wrote:

@FormerCollegeDJ wrote:

Now I REALLY want Sears/Kmart to go out of business so I might be able to convert my Sears/Thank You Rewards Mastercard into this new Custom Cash Card. Smiley Happy

Nooooooooooo...... Citi keeps throwing lucrative promos my way, my Sears MC is a big TYP earner.

I can see myself potentially converting my DC over though.

Yeah, the main reason I rarely use my Citi Sears/Thank You Rewards Mastercard is its low credit limit, but the offers sent associated with the card are attractive.  I'm not going to go out of my way to request a CLI on the card, but I do receive one to $5000 or higher, I'll probably start using the card more frequently.  Ironically, I just received an email from Citi requesting me to update my salary and housing cost information a few days ago (made the updates a couple days ago), so I'll see if they make any changes on my card.

FYI, IME a CLI request will be a SP, if you request online you may be asked to call in to speak to a UW.   Now, back to the main thread.  Smiley Wink

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 35 of 550
icednightpaper
Regular Contributor

Is it bad that my shallow self saw the card design before the rewards structure and said "that will look nice in person!"? It is interesting to have a month-to-month 5% category though. I kind of wish I didn't just PC my R+ to a DC, I will have to wait the two years for eligibility for this one.
Message 36 of 550
Anonymous
Not applicable

5% on groceries every month with no AF beats the BCP thanks to the BCP's AF. Same $6K of spend in a year will get you $265 after AF on BCP and $300 on this card. For me this isn't a lot of gain (I would earn about $38 more for a year based on my current $160 budget compared to my 3% cards) so I won't be jumping to apply for it but I would happily PC my Rewards+ to it and I may go for it after Chase in November. 

Message 37 of 550
PullingMeSoftly
Valued Contributor

It's like a junior version of the Vantage West Connect, but without a wholesale category.

*Edit - Just now seeing Saeren's comment above 1 min before mine, but this is my take on the BCP anyway*

Just looking at the grocery category, this gives the Amex BCP a run for its money. If we're just talking about the grocery category alone, the BCP's 6% with a $95 AF substantially reduces the earning rate in comparison to the 5%. Alhough they both have the same 6k annual cap (and granted the Citi is limited to the $500/month), I don't carry the BCP for streaming and gas, and I'd rather get cash back than a statement credit. Hmmmm, lots of possibilities.

Message 38 of 550
Anonymous
Not applicable

@PullingMeSoftly wrote:

It's like a junior version of the Vantage West Connect, but without a wholesale category.

Just looking at the grocery category, this gives the Amex BCP a run for its money. If we're just talking about the grocery category alone, the BCP's 6% with a $95 AF substantially reduces the earning rate in comparison to the 5%. Alhough they both have the same 6k annual cap (and granted the Citi is limited to the $500/month), I don't carry the BCP for streaming and gas, and I'd rather get cash back than a statement credit. Hmmmm, lots of possibilities.

Lol we were both posting about this analysis at the same time. It does indeed beat the BCP for the same grocery spend cap without the AF or trying to get exactly $6K to maximize the return. 

Message 39 of 550
icednightpaper
Regular Contributor

The other thing to consider for this card, is that AMEX -may- not be accepted at your local ethnic grocery store. So that could be a very slight edge over the BCP for some folks.
Message 40 of 550
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.