Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Custom Cash Card

tag
FormerCollegeDJ
Frequent Contributor

Re: Citi Custom Cash Card

@trumpet-205 wrote:

Wish the reward is straight cash instead of TYP, since it gives Citi the option to devalue it later on (which is what happened to Citi Forward before Citi dropped the axe on it).

That said, this card has the potential to give AMEX BCE a run of their money.

An increasing number of cards are giving the Amex Blue Cash Everyday a run for its money.  The Capital One SavorOne's recent increase on grocery rewards from 2% to 3% was big, and IMO the SavorOne has better, additional rewards categories than the BCE (3% on dining, entertainment, and some streaming on the SavorOne vs. 2% on gas stations and some department stores on the BCE).

American Express is going to need to up their game to attract potential users focused on rewards that prefer no annual fee cards based on what other issuers are doing.

Playing the credit card rewards game since early May 2020.

Current credit cards:
American Express: Hilton Honors
Bank of America: Customized Cash Rewards Visa
Capital One: SavorOne MC
Chase: Amazon Visa, Freedom Unlimited Visa, Freedom Flex MC
Citi: Sears/ThankYou Rewards MC, My Best Buy Visa, Custom Cash MC
Comenity: AAA Travel Advantage Visa
Discover: Cash It
Elan: S&T Bank Max Cash Preferred Visa
FNBO: Amtrak Guest Rewards Platinum MC
PSECU: Founder's Visa
U.S. Bank: Cash+ Visa
Wells Fargo: Autograph Visa
Store cards: Kohl's

Next target credit cards: Wells Fargo Bilt Mastercard (probably), Truist Enjoy Travel Visa (maybe)
Message 41 of 550
Anonymous
Not applicable

For my spend, the Citi CC will be a great card for groceries.  It'll replace my Amex BCE.

I had my Citi DC in the sock drawer because of the $25 minimum redemption, but if I can combine cash back between the CC and the DC, it'll essentially reduce the minimum redemption on the DC.

Message 42 of 550
calyx
Super Contributor

@simplynoir wrote:

This is actually pretty good for a card. In fact I'm downright suspicious lol

Anyone know Citi's rules for PCing to new releases? Thinking of maybe changing my Diamond Preferred to this

@simplynoir- My exact first thought.

Followed by "well, dang, looks like Immabout to do some SUB chasing if no PC"

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 43 of 550
calyx
Super Contributor

@PullingMeSoftly wrote:

It's like a junior version of the Vantage West Connect, but without a wholesale category.

*Edit - Just now seeing Saeren's comment above 1 min before mine, but this is my take on the BCP anyway*

Just looking at the grocery category, this gives the Amex BCP a run for its money. If we're just talking about the grocery category alone, the BCP's 6% with a $95 AF substantially reduces the earning rate in comparison to the 5%. Alhough they both have the same 6k annual cap (and granted the Citi is limited to the $500/month), I don't carry the BCP for streaming and gas, and I'd rather get cash back than a statement credit. Hmmmm, lots of possibilities.

Yeah, my BCP is for groceries and streaming (and the ridiculous amount of AMEX offers, like the $60 I just got yesterday), but I have a crazy high grocery spend, so I would have to still crunch numbers if I used the grocery category on the Citicard (To put it in perspective, I am still coming out ahead on BCP for groceries - nevermind streaming or offers -  even with the two 5% rotators throwing grocery cats half of the year).    And I transfer the statement credit to cat-back in my budgeting program, so how I get that cash makes little difference to me (though given the option on a card, I cash out).

Message 44 of 550
calyx
Super Contributor

I'd like to think there was some internal chatter about "maybe those three people who won't stop calling about the Dividend will shut up already"

Message 45 of 550
kilroy8
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Any approvals yet?

Message 46 of 550
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

I can see myself trying for this card and if approved transferring out CL from my BCP and closing it to free up an AMEX slot if they later release something appealing.  Just not confident of approval odds with Citi atm.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 47 of 550
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@kilroy8 wrote:

Any approvals yet?

See post #13.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 48 of 550
calyx
Super Contributor

@coldfusion wrote:

I can see myself trying for this card and if approved transferring out CL from my BCP and closing it to free up an AMEX slot if they later release something appealing.  Just not confident of approval odds with Citi atm.

Right now my BCP is my only Amex and I've been super happy with the catback on it.   I'd rather not open a new citicard (and considering the number of preapprovals they throw at me, I feel confident in getting approved), but I also appreciate the catback offers they throw at me for my not-so-sockdrawered DP... 

Decisions, decisions.   
I have the space to app for two cards, but I was thinking Affinity (for the amazon 5%) and another Disco, because I will absolutely max out the next two quarters... then again, if I go with Affinity, 5/24 doesn't really matter anyway.

WHY DID YOU MAKE THIS SO HARD, CITI?!!  lol

Message 49 of 550
calyx
Super Contributor

oh **bleep**... off to make a post.

Message 50 of 550
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.