Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Custom Cash Card

tag
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Citi Custom Cash Card

Decided to see for myself the datapoint @UncleB saw on DoC article about PCing and rep I spoke with said the same thing with no dice onproduct changing my DP to the Custom Cash. Dunno what the Citi rules are concerning going from a non-TYP card to a TYP card here but I'm assuming it shouldn't be a problem

Message 51 of 550
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@trumpet-205 wrote:

Wish the reward is straight cash instead of TYP, since it gives Citi the option to devalue it later on (which is what happened to Citi Forward before Citi dropped the axe on it).

Well, they also reduced the earning rate towards the end, and they can do that with straight cash as well.   But yes, using points does allow hidden devaluation (see Penfed Plat Rewards as an example!)

Message 52 of 550
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

Citi has a new product offering, the Custom Cash Card.

From the website:

Earn 5% cash back on purchases in your top eligible spend category each billing cycle, up to the first $500 spent, 1% cash back thereafter

5% eligible categories: Restaurants, gas stations, grocery stores, select travel, select transit, select streaming services, drugstores, home improvement stores, fitness clubs, live entertainment.²

Earn unlimited 1% cash back on all other purchases

Citi Custom CashSM Card

Sign-up bonus info:

Earn $200 in cash back after you spend $750 on purchases in the first 3 months of account opening.²

This offer will be fulfilled as 20,000 ThankYou® Points, which can be redeemed for $200 cash back.

Get 0% Intro APR for 15 months on purchases and balance transfers. After that, the variable APR will be 13.99% - 23.99%, based on your creditworthiness.* Balance Transfers must be completed within 4 months of account opening.

Balance Transfer Fee: Either $5 or 5% of the amount of each credit card balance transfer, whichever is greater.*

Citi will only issue one Citi Custom Cash℠ Card account per person. You will qualify for the bonus offer only if you have not received a bonus offer for opening a new Citi Custom Cash℠ Card in the past 48 months.

Direct link:  https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/citi-custom-cash-credit-card 

That is a fascinating card.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 53 of 550
VintageMel
New Contributor

As a sort of counterpoint to the idea that this card beats the AmEx BCP, as someone who blows through the $6,000 grocery cap on the BCP in about 6 months, I'm not even thinking about this in terms of competition.  I see this as a potential complement to the BCP that could really maximize my grocery earnings.  I may be a bit of an oddball though.

3/28/23
EX 810
EQ 831
TU ???
Cap1 QS March 2017 | AmEx BCP July 2019 | Citi DC June 2020 | AmEx Delta Gold October 2020 | Chase FU October 2020 | Macy's AmEx May 2021
Message 54 of 550
calyx
Super Contributor

@VintageMel wrote:

As a sort of counterpoint to the idea that this card beats the AmEx BCP, as someone who blows through the $6,000 grocery cap on the BCP in about 6 months, I'm not even thinking about this in terms of competition.  I see this as a potential complement to the BCP that could really maximize my grocery earnings.  I may be a bit of an oddball though.

@VintageMel- no worries, I'm on the same bench with you.

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 55 of 550
RickNATL
Established Contributor
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@UncleB wrote:

This is an interesting new offering.  For those who have modest spend in a category like groceries, it might be a good fit. 

A few things are notable; 'Bookstores' is not a category (so no 5% off Amazon - a comparison to the old Sallie Mae came to mind here) and Walmart is excluded from the grocery category. 

I have too much recent activity to apply for it, but I might consider doing a PC of my Rewards+ MasterCard if they'll let me.  I'll have to think about that a bit. 🤔

If you do it, I'll do it, too.

Then we can combine our limits to pay for two coffees 

Message 57 of 550
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@UncleB wrote:

This is an interesting new offering.  For those who have modest spend in a category like groceries, it might be a good fit. 

A few things are notable; 'Bookstores' is not a category (so no 5% off Amazon - a comparison to the old Sallie Mae came to mind here) and Walmart is excluded from the grocery category. 

I have too much recent activity to apply for it, but I might consider doing a PC of my Rewards+ MasterCard if they'll let me.  I'll have to think about that a bit. 🤔

Thanks for posting this @UncleB.  "In" before it gets buried by a long train 🚂 

I would say, given the recent WF 2% new product announcement, this is a bit more viable.  At least, if PC was a possibility for some folks, the account history is preserved on a single tradeline whereas a PC with WF will not be as such.  Both institutions have their strengths and weaknesses, but at least this product appears more attractive, even with the cap.  And, look at that, a SUB and intro APR on both - who would've thought 😆

Message 58 of 550
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

From the looks of things (the fine-print in the bonus) this is a TYP earning card, which one might assume would make a PC from another TYP card easy-peasy. 

Also, sorta related, the text indicates that the 20k TYPs can be cashed-out for $200.  I knew Citi had started allowing the Premier to cash-out at full 1¢/point value, but I had thought that was only for the cards with an AF.  Anyway, I just checked my Rewards+ and it now has the option as well.  Smiley Happy

Now if Amex will start letting us cash-out MRs at 1¢ without messing around with gift cards we'll be getting somewhere, LOL.  <off-topic>

Edited to add:  I guess I now finally have motivation to convert my Double Cash to a TYP earning card.

@UncleByour DC card is a TYP earning card; you can convert your DC cash points to TYP's.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 59 of 550
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

If you do it, I'll do it, too.

Then we can combine our limits to pay for two coffees 

Thought you didn't like Starbucks anymore

Message 60 of 550
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.