Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Custom Cash Card

tag
nursepower
Frequent Contributor

Re: Citi Custom Cash Card

Applied for hubby who is in the 800's and got the 7-10 day message.

Update: They called to confirm it was hubby who applied...approved for $9400. What a weird number! 

BK DC 10/18/18
Walmart $400 | Target $500 | Playstation Visa $750 | Petco MasterCard ? | Best Buy Visa $2000 | Cap 1Quicksilver $2500 | Ollo $2700 | Kohl's $3000 | Comenity $3200 | Dell $4000 | Skypoint FCU $5000
Last app 6/2/21
Message 111 of 550
Beast26
Frequent Contributor

I'm going to take the plunge in July when Chase and Discover changes to the new quarter and gas is no longer the category.  PNC Cash Rewards is no longer a goal card now that this one is out it will take the gas slot for me.  Is 1/6, 4/12 good enough to get in with citi?  

Revolving history: 2 years 4months across the board
AAoA:
TU: 5yrs 10months
EX: 2yrs 2 months
EQ: ~5yrs 6 months
Inquiries: Ex: 1/12. EQ: 1/12 Tu: 1/12
As of 10-5-2020

Quicksilver $3,000
Discover It Miles $17,500
Chase Freedom Flex $4,400
Amazon Prime Store Card $6,000
Walmart MC $2,500
Wells Fargo Active Cash $8,000
Citi Custom Cash $8,400
Verizon Visa $20,000
Message 112 of 550
FormerCollegeDJ
Frequent Contributor

The more I think about it, the more I think the Citi Custom Cash Mastercard is one of the best no annual fee, rewards-focused credit cards now on the market.  It almost definitely is the most flexible.  It fits for credit card rewards chasers, but can also fit for some credit card general spenders or people who only want to use two cards (or in some cases, even just one card).

*Very unusually, this card can function as a 5% rewards card OR as a daily driver (for some people at least in the latter case).

*Perhaps even more impressively, not only can it function as a replacement to other rewards cards (say like the Amex Blue Cash Everyday on the higher rewards category side or the Chase Freedom Unlimited or even the Citi Double Cash on the flat rewards rate side), it can function as a complement to those cards (as a 5% category card on spending that isn't a 3% or more rewards category on other cards, or as a high rewards category card in combination with flat 1.5/2% rewards rate cards).

*It can even work in concert with cards with 3% or more rewards categories in heavy spend categories; the Custom Cash could capture 5% spend up to $500/month in a heavy spend category while a card with various 3% rewards categories, say like the Capital One SavorOne, could pick up the overflow spend in the heavy spend categories (in particular groceries, restaurants, or live entertainment with the Custom Cash/SavorOne combination), in addition to providing solid rewards in other categories.  Additionally, like most 5% rotating or selectable rewards rate cards, it can also complement other cards in that category.

I know from the 100+ comments in this thread in less than 8 hours many people are excited about this card, but the Custom Cash becomes an even impressive card the more you examine it (and believe me, I've been examining it a lot the last few hours).  Citi almost definitely hit a grand slam with the Custom Cash.

Playing the credit card rewards game since early May 2020.

Current credit cards:
American Express: Hilton Honors
Bank of America: Customized Cash Rewards Visa
Capital One: SavorOne MC
Chase: Amazon Visa, Freedom Unlimited Visa, Freedom Flex MC
Citi: Sears/ThankYou Rewards MC, My Best Buy Visa, Custom Cash MC
Comenity: AAA Travel Advantage Visa
Discover: Cash It
Elan: S&T Bank Max Cash Preferred Visa
FNBO: Amtrak Guest Rewards Platinum MC
PSECU: Founder's Visa
U.S. Bank: Cash+ Visa
Wells Fargo: Autograph Visa
Store cards: Kohl's

Next target credit cards: Wells Fargo Bilt Mastercard (probably), Truist Enjoy Travel Visa (maybe)
Message 113 of 550
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Message 114 of 550
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hm, what are the chances Citi would even remotely consider me at 4/6, 6/12, 12/24 with a 774 score and 11 year relationship?

Edit: Denied, bummer.

Message 115 of 550
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Only four approval threads, Starbucks card had more and that card is is good as their coffee. 

Get to filling those apps, I need to live vicariously through you 

Message 116 of 550
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

Well this is interesting...

Been trying to get a USBank Cash+ for a while and realized I need to garden and let all my apps and inquiries fall away before trying that again. My plan was to only do one app this year... my biannual Citi Premier next month.

I wasn't sure what I would do with my current Premier.  Hopefully by then PCs will be available and I'll switch that one to this new Custom Cash (Citi CC? CCC?) and I'll have one big happy TYP family.  I actually love that it earns TYP, which to me are worth more than cash.

I was REALLY hoping utilities would be a category.  If so I'd just app for this and forget about the USBank Cash+.  Ah well.

Interesting rewards chaser rules around this one... 48 months between SUBs and only one per customer.  I wonder if I PC to this next month if later on I can cancel or PC out of it and app for a new one for the SUB.  Also I'm guessing this won't mess with the timeline for Premier/Prestige/R+ SUBs, or vice versa?  Seems that's the case based on a strict reading of the language.

As for categories... Amex Gold gets my groceries and restaurants spend.  Other categories are either low or intermittent spend for me... but for no AF I can make it work.  REALLY wish they included utilities, though.

Message 117 of 550
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@FormerCollegeDJ wrote:

The more I think about it, the more I think the Citi Custom Cash Mastercard is one of the best no annual fee, rewards-focused credit cards now on the market.  It almost definitely is the most flexible.  It fits for credit card rewards chasers, but can also fit for some credit card general spenders or people who only want to use two cards (or in some cases, even just one card).

*Very unusually, this card can function as a 5% rewards card OR as a daily driver (for some people at least in the latter case).

*Perhaps even more impressively, not only can it function as a replacement to other rewards cards (say like the Amex Blue Cash Everyday on the higher rewards category side or the Chase Freedom Unlimited or even the Citi Double Cash on the flat rewards rate side), it can function as a complement to those cards (as a 5% category card on spending that isn't a 3% or more rewards category on other cards, or as a high rewards category card in combination with flat 1.5/2% rewards rate cards).

*It can even work in concert with cards with 3% or more rewards categories in heavy spend categories; the Custom Cash could capture 5% spend up to $500/month in a heavy spend category while a card with various 3% rewards categories, say like the Capital One SavorOne, could pick up the overflow spend in the heavy spend categories (in particular groceries, restaurants, or live entertainment with the Custom Cash/SavorOne combination), in addition to providing solid rewards in other categories.  Additionally, like most 5% rotating or selectable rewards rate cards, it can also complement other cards in that category.

I know from the 100+ comments in this thread in less than 8 hours many people are excited about this card, but the Custom Cash becomes an even impressive card the more you examine it (and believe me, I've been examining it a lot the last few hours).  Citi almost definitely hit a grand slam with the Custom Cash.

Using it as a daily driver for all spend wouldn't make much sense; you're leaving a lot on the table since the majority of your spend will get 1%, with only one category eligible for 5%.  Most cash back cards have caps and that's fine, but like I said earlier in the thread, big purchases like travel or home improvement are frequently more than $500. As you eclipse the $500 cap you're less and less better off using the card as a daily driver.

I'm not as excited as you about this card, I think it's good, I don't think it's a huge game changer. Just something that fills a niche within Citi (they did not have any 5% card since the Dividend was discontinued for apps years ago). 

Message 118 of 550
Yasselife
Valued Contributor

I'm a low spender and this card will be at the top of my list. I had an eye on upgrading the Magnet to BCP $150 bonus, no annual fee the first year and I'm still going to pass on that now that the CCB showed up.

Message 119 of 550
1GaDawg85
Valued Contributor

I am living vicariously through those that apply!

FICO 5 ,4, 2 - 10/2023                            FICO 8 - 10/2023                                   FICO 9 - 10/2023                                   FICO 10 - 10/2023

Message 120 of 550
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.