Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Custom Cash Card

tag
calyx
Super Contributor

Re: Citi Custom Cash Card

@longtimelurker wrote:

It's an interesting card but I wonder who it is aimed at.   Obviously, the best use is to use on just one category a month, as everything but the highest category gets just 1%   So those of us who have trouble (or partners who have trouble) remembering "this quarter use card A for gas, card B for supermarkets and put as much as you can on paypal using card C........" it might not be that valuable.

You mean not everyone uses blank (or the backs of) business cards to write out the quarters to keep in the DL window slot of their wallets?

Smiley Wink

While this card works well for me, I can see non-maximizers thinking it sounds great - "5% on highest" means not having to worry about the cat *and* thinking you get all of the benefits of 5% rotators without the effort... which essentially true if you don't carry more than one card.

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 101 of 550
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

BTW mentioned friend was applying earlier or told him to apply Smiley Happy.  850 scores on all three.  Approved 9,900.  Thick file and income 800kish.  So not passing out huge limits out of the gate.

Message 102 of 550
calyx
Super Contributor

@kilroy8 wrote:

Experian wants me to go for it Smiley Happy

Capture3.GIF

I mean, experian wants me to go for most of the cards I already have, sooooo...

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 103 of 550
FormerCollegeDJ
Frequent Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@FormerCollegeDJ wrote:

against a 1.5% rewards card (with no bonus categories) the sweet spot for the Custom Cash to "win" would be monthly spending below $4000 and >12.5% of spending being in one qualifying category.  Those are very attainable and common to beat thresholds for most people.

Right, but then you start running into "overlap"   If you are spending say $3000 a month if you have to get an extra card, you would be better off getting a 2% card (by your previous calculations) than going for this even if you maxed out the $500 (16.6% spend)

Yes, that's true.  What I'm saying however is that for some general credit card spenders (i.e. NOT the people who post and lurk on the FICO Forums, LOL), in particular low to moderate spend per month users who usually have one high spend category every month, the Custom Cash definitely CAN make sense as a general use card.  The card's strengths as a general use card don't apply to everyone.

EDIT: I'll note that if someone had the Custom Cash as their daily driver, ran into "overlap", and wanted to still keep things fairly simple, they could try to get a 2% or better flat rewards card for general use and use the Custom Cash for purchases only in one of the applicable bonus categories on the card, say grocery stores.  That would still be a fairly simple setup - use the Custom Cash at grocery stores and the 2% rewards card, say the Wells Fargo Active Cash, everywhere else.

Playing the credit card rewards game since early May 2020.

Current credit cards:
American Express: Hilton Honors
Bank of America: Customized Cash Rewards Visa
Capital One: SavorOne MC
Chase: Amazon Visa, Freedom Unlimited Visa, Freedom Flex MC
Citi: Sears/ThankYou Rewards MC, My Best Buy Visa, Custom Cash MC
Comenity: AAA Travel Advantage Visa
Discover: Cash It
Elan: S&T Bank Max Cash Preferred Visa
FNBO: Amtrak Guest Rewards Platinum MC
PSECU: Founder's Visa
U.S. Bank: Cash+ Visa
Wells Fargo: Autograph Visa
Store cards: Kohl's

Next target credit cards: Wells Fargo Bilt Mastercard (probably), Truist Enjoy Travel Visa (maybe)
Message 104 of 550
BearsCubsOtters
Frequent Contributor

Finally something new from Citibank. See, this is why some of us keep old, seemingly worthless cards from certain lenders; they are perfect PC cards for when something better comes along.

Speaking of PC, the last time a new Citibank card came out (Double Cash), I tried to PC a card into it but was told it was unavailable. About 2 weeks later, it was.  I will gladly forgo the sign up bonus and 15 months of 0% interest to be able to PC.

This card is essentially like the original Chase Freedom. It automatically gave you the 5% on your top catagory. For me, that would be groceries in the months that Freedom/Discover/Dividend are NOT offering 5% and home improvement stores in the late spring.

Definitely would not cold app, but will likely PC an existing Citibank card into this. 

Message 105 of 550
FormerCollegeDJ
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

ugh. i just entered the garden last month.

Have you considered being a carpenter rather than a gardener? Smiley Wink

Playing the credit card rewards game since early May 2020.

Current credit cards:
American Express: Hilton Honors
Bank of America: Customized Cash Rewards Visa
Capital One: SavorOne MC
Chase: Amazon Visa, Freedom Unlimited Visa, Freedom Flex MC
Citi: Sears/ThankYou Rewards MC, My Best Buy Visa, Custom Cash MC
Comenity: AAA Travel Advantage Visa
Discover: Cash It
Elan: S&T Bank Max Cash Preferred Visa
FNBO: Amtrak Guest Rewards Platinum MC
PSECU: Founder's Visa
U.S. Bank: Cash+ Visa
Wells Fargo: Autograph Visa
Store cards: Kohl's

Next target credit cards: Wells Fargo Bilt Mastercard (probably), Truist Enjoy Travel Visa (maybe)
Message 106 of 550
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wasn't going to app for another card this year. I really just went to Citi's website to make a payment, saw the ad, and . . . well . . . .now the Premier and DC cards have a new sibling.

So I took a walk by myfico to see if everyone's getting this ad . . . I think the thread being on page 10 gives me my answer. 

Message 107 of 550
Wavester64
Valued Contributor

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

BTW mentioned friend was applying earlier or told him to apply Smiley Happy.  850 scores on all three.  Approved 9,900.  Thick file and income 800kish.  So not passing out huge limits out of the gate.

I am waiting to see if @Gmood1 goes for this one Smiley LOL

Potential Future Cards
Message 108 of 550
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

If anyone here has success product changing to this card that would great

While I say right now it's not worth a new account, a 3am nightcap might change my mind. Please don't let it come to that 😐😂

Message 109 of 550
JR_TX
Valued Contributor

Asked for CLI on my R+ and got turned down for too many inqs. 1/6 and 2/12 Lol.

So most likely a no go on this one. Will just PC my AA to this soon as they'll allow it or if at all.

New cc TLs : 0/6 ; 0/12 ; 0/24 | HPs EX 3 EQ 3 TU 4 | AAoA 7y10m | UTIL 1% - 4% | $300K+ Total Limits

Message 110 of 550
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.