Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi DC 0% Promo, When To Pay Remaining Balance

tag
T-Bear
Valued Member

Citi DC 0% Promo, When To Pay Remaining Balance

I received a 0% promo rate on purchases for my Citi DoubleCash card back in August last year and it ends beginning of April this year. Here is a copy/paste of the terms I received via email when I accepted the offer.

What you should know about your special rate
Effective 08/14/20, your APR has been lowered to 0.00% for purchases
made through April 01, 2021.
This rate doesn’t modify the current rates of any existing balances you may
have on your account and doesn’t apply to balance transfers or cash
advances.
After April 1, 2021, any unpaid promotional balance from this offer and new
purchases will be subject to your standard variable APR.

Here is what it states at the end of my current bill that cut yesterday.

"Promotional Rate Expires 04/01/21".

My due date for this account is on the 2nd of every month, so right now all that is owed is what I used for the 0% promo period, so the pay in full balance is exactly what the 0% promo rate I have left to pay off is (have only been paying the minimum because of the 0% promo). Prior to this promo offer I was not using the card so it had a $0 balance.

I just changed the auto pay back to paying full statement balance, starting on next due date of April 2nd, instead of only paying the minimum during the promo period.

For some reason my brain is having difficulty interpreting when the remaining promotional balance needs to be paid to make sure I don't end up paying any interest on it. Am I good to pay the statement balance, which again is the entire remaining 0% promo balance, on the due date of April 2nd, or do I need to get it paid on/before April 1st, since that is when the 0% promo ends?

Thank you for any help with this. Usually I am fairly good understanding the terms, but since the promo ends literally the day before my payment is due and there is nothing stating when the promo balance needs to be paid by, it is messing with my head to make sure I don't end up paying interest.

Side note, sorry for the long explanation of things, I have always been that way.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Citi DC 0% Promo, When To Pay Remaining Balance

Pay by or before April 1st.

Message 2 of 5
T-Bear
Valued Member

@FinStar wrote:

Thank you.

I will update the auto pay to skip and set a manual payment for March 31st.

Message 3 of 5
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@T-Bear wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

Thank you.

I will update the auto pay to skip and set a manual payment for March 31st.

Anytime.

I'm not sure how large of a balance is on your account, but let's just say your due date was April 10th as a hypothetical example, what would happen is the account would potentially accrue interest from 4/1 - 4/10 (on your average daily balance).  

In your situation, the due date of 4/2 just happens to coincide with the day after your BT promotion expires, so if you want to avoid any residual interest (even for 1 day), just PIF by the date of the expiration on that promo.

Message 4 of 5
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

+1

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.