Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi DC APR reduction: 25.74% --> 16.49%

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citi DC APR reduction: 25.74% --> 16.49%

I was reading a handful of threads recently about people calling and requesting APR reductions on their cards, so I figured I'd go ahead and play the game with my Citi DC for S&Gs.  I've never paid a penny of interest to them, so I honestly didn't even know what my starting APR was.  I entered chat and found it to be 25.74%.  I asked for a reduction and within 1 minute received a response that it was reduced to 24.24%.  2 days later I hit up chat again and made the same request.  After a minute I was told it was dropped from 24.24% to 22.24%.  1 day later, the same thing.  This time it was dropped a bit more significantly to 16.49%.  I've tried a couple of more times since then, but was told "An APR reduction isn't currently available on your account, but try back as often as you'd like and we can check."  So anyway, to recap in 3 days time:

Day 1 – 25.74% --> 24.24%

Day 3 – 24.24% --> 22.24%

Day 4 – 22.24% --> 16.49%

I offer this information as a great example of "the squeaky wheel gets the grease."  While APR is essentially irrelevant to me, I know it does indeed matter to many people and it definitely doesn't hurt to ask.  You've got nothing to lose, except perhaps a few percentage points on APR.

Message 1 of 74
73 REPLIES 73
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Citi DC APR reduction: 25.74% --> 16.49%

You just reminded me of what I need to do.  Have had my Citi DC card for about 4 years.  17.25% APR.  Got a letter from Citi in the mail today.  The envelope said "we have some good news".  Offered me two different low APRs on balance transfers, then my APR would increase to 18.25%.

Huh?  "We've got some good news...your APR is going up"?

Message 2 of 74
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Very nice BrutalSmiley Happy May the Apr Redux games beginSmiley Wink.....
Message 3 of 74
mikesonthemend
Valued Contributor

Strike 1, Strike 2, Bam!Strike 1, Strike 2, Bam!

Living through Darwinism is so much worse than learning about about it in school.
Message 4 of 74
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nice decrease! 

Message 5 of 74
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't know how standard these types of decreases are if you ask, but why not try, right?  I sent Discover a secured message tonight asking them if an APR reduction was possible.  I don't even know what my Discover APR is, but I will report back the response I get.

Message 6 of 74
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats! I'm going for mine now....did so a few months back and came down a few points in one chat.....they came with a reduction and twice I pressed for more and got it.
Message 7 of 74
Anonymous
Not applicable

What I find interesting is that they clearly have no time table with which to follow in terms of how often you can get a decrease.  Clearly every day is fine and perhaps even an hour later one could contact another CSR and get another reduction.  It would just make things easier if they would give you the maximum reduction all in one shot, but I perhaps from a profits perspective they hope people just "settle" for the first (small) offer. 

Message 8 of 74
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think you hit the nail on the head. Most will accept a little and move on. Everyone isn't MF material!
Message 9 of 74
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does anyone know the lowest possible APR on the Citi DC?

The most recent CSR told me that I'm at the lowest available APR on the card, implying that it can't go lower than 16.49%, but past CSRs have not said this and have implied that it can go lower, just not at this time. 

Message 10 of 74
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.