Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi DC CLI after approval

tag
brandon1767
Established Member

Citi DC CLI after approval

Hey guys,

A buddy just got a approved for the Citi DC with a $1,700 limit. He wants to counter, can he do this right away with a SP? Or would it be better to wait? I know you can request through the online portal, but what is the laungage for when it is a SP/HP?

Thanks!

Brandon

Banking with: Ally Bank (Savings), NFCU (Credit), and US Bank (Biz and Personal Checking)
Started August 2018 (No Credit History)
FICO 8 (11/01/2021): EX 791, TU 800 | FICO 9 (11/01/2021): EQ 821
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Ficoproblems247
Valued Contributor

Re: Citi DC CLI after approval

In the app it says you may be approved instantly without a credit bureau report. Online it says we will not obtain a credit bureau report. Both of these are the SP language. I requested one the day my card came in the mail and I activated it. It was denied, but the SP language remained for me to try again once more time elapsed. 

FICO 8 Sep '23 EX 755 EQ 765 TU 739
TCL $199,800
Message 2 of 7
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@brandon1767 wrote:

Hey guys,

A buddy just got a approved for the Citi DC with a $1,700 limit. He wants to counter, can he do this right away with a SP? Or would it be better to wait? I know you can request through the online portal, but what is the laungage for when it is a SP/HP?

Thanks!

Brandon

You can't counter a sl. Only the bank can counter you when soliciting credit. I would not waste another hp at the moment to try and get more as it appears thats what Citibank is comfortable giving to start. Keep using the card, he may see an auto increase in the first couple months and then when he gets the sp language he may try . Usually Citi gives on average  about $1500 sp  but again its always ymmv if you get cli or not. Getting denied doesnt reset click, getting apprived does.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

When I apped with Citi back in 17 for the Diamond Preferred, I requested a CLI 61 days later and was approved. It was by accident though because I meant to do this with Amex per their CLI thread here, but got my wires crossed.

I've also heard a couple other DP's that Citi may have the increase option after 2 billing cycles. YMMV of course.

Message 4 of 7
brandon1767
Established Member

Thanks guys, will pass that on.

Banking with: Ally Bank (Savings), NFCU (Credit), and US Bank (Biz and Personal Checking)
Started August 2018 (No Credit History)
FICO 8 (11/01/2021): EX 791, TU 800 | FICO 9 (11/01/2021): EQ 821
Message 5 of 7
Remedios
Credit Mentor

I had SP language and received CLI after around 8 weeks. I think it was a few days after second statement.

It was Citi's generic "Here's $1500, go away for six months" 

CLI is great and all, I was more impressed about never having a single issue with them because I read all the incomplete horror stories about them and fully expected this to be my agony card. 

I'm pleased with them in general 

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

If someone wants a higher SL right away, they'll have to take a HP. From what I have seen, this is successful more often than not if you do it right when you get the card but SP language can open up around 60 days (happened for me too but declined every month for presence of BK). 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.