Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi DC Craziness

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citi DC Craziness

So I applied again for what was probably the fifth or tenth time for a Citi DC card a few weeks ago. For whatever reason(s), Citi has never issued me a card, despite giant limits across the board on other lenders. Never have been prequalified. Never approved during various sprees over the last couple years when I've opened all the cards I have - that is to say, never approved when I had one card, 3 cards, 5 cards or more; no matter my credit profile or available limits, never approved, never a successful recon either, first citing not enough credit established to more recent the too many inquiries reason.

I think I may have mistyped my SSN on this particular application (I have been known to have an adult beverage and then apply for [all of my] cards). They sent me a letter asking to verify my identity and they have never done that on any previous application while still living at my current address: they asked for a copy of my driver's license, a credit card statement showing my address, and a utility bill or last year's tax return. I sent all of those things in.

Fast forward a week and I was indeed finally approved for my very first Citi card; however, sadly with a $3k limit (which means no visa siggy and virtually an unusable limit with regards to how I normally use my cards).

Because I sent in all that info, there was obviously a live person that approved it. No idea how they came up with that starting limit, though (the credit card statement I chose to send in was of a $25k limit card that showed $12k charged and $12k paid this previous month).

Here's my question - I've seen some threads about people getting their Citi cards in the mail and immediately asking for a CLI and sometimes getting them. For the people with whom this stragey worked, were you among those that were instantly approved initlally? Would I be a candidate to do this, considering they appear to dislike me in general and seem to have begrudgingly given me this card in the first place? Or is this going to be another "water the relationship and wait forever for it to grow" situation?

Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Citi DC Craziness

@Anonymous wrote:

So I applied again for what was probably the fifth or tenth time for a Citi DC card a few weeks ago. For whatever reason(s), Citi has never issued me a card, despite giant limits across the board on other lenders. Never have been prequalified. Never approved during various sprees over the last couple years when I've opened all the cards I have - that is to say, never approved when I had one card, 3 cards, 5 cards or more; no matter my credit profile or available limits, never approved, never a successful recon either, first citing not enough credit established to more recent the too many inquiries reason.

I think I may have mistyped my SSN on this particular application (I have been known to have an adult beverage and then apply for [all of my] cards). They sent me a letter asking to verify my identity and they have never done that on any previous application while still living at my current address: they asked for a copy of my driver's license, a credit card statement showing my address, and a utility bill or last year's tax return. I sent all of those things in.

Fast forward a week and I was indeed finally approved for my very first Citi card; however, sadly with a $3k limit (which means no visa siggy and virtually an unusable limit with regards to how I normally use my cards).

Because I sent in all that info, there was obviously a live person that approved it. No idea how they came up with that starting limit, though (the credit card statement I chose to send in was of a $25k limit card that showed $12k charged and $12k paid this previous month). If, on the other hand, these increases are too little and too late, you may have no other sensible option but to go for a HP CLI.

Here's my question - I've seen some threads about people getting their Citi cards in the mail and immediately asking for a CLI and sometimes getting them. For the people with whom this stragey worked, were you among those that were instantly approved initlally? Would I be a candidate to do this, considering they appear to dislike me in general and seem to have begrudgingly given me this card in the first place? Or is this going to be another "water the relationship and wait forever for it to grow" situation?

Couple comments:

1) Citi's Double Cash card is a MasterCard, not a Visa. The highest tier offered on the card is currently World Elite MasterCard. Luckily, Citi's been pretty lenient with who they've given Double Cash WEMCs to (I only got a $1700 initial limit with my DC, and mine was issued as a WEMC). 

2) I'm not sure if it makes a difference if the approvals are instant or not, but either way it'll a hard pull if you're asking for a CLI upon activation: is this worth it to you? These HP CLIs upon activation have been known to be pretty substantial if you can withstand the second HP, from what I've seen.

3) Citi generally allows for SP CLIs every 6 months. These SP CLIs are usually not enormous (usually between $1500-$2500, from what I've seen), but if you like to conserve your HPs, you always have this as an option.

Message 2 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Was instantly approved for the Citi Diamond and DC but limits were not so great.  Now at 6k in about 17 months of time.  Getting ready to ask for another cli.  Not going to call just yet because I don't want anymore HP's.  Since they are good cards, I will just wait it out and hopefully my limit will grow and match some of my others.

Message 3 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

A MC! Of course! Lol. But that's good to know they issue Elite at lower amounts. 

As for the HPs, I have far, far too many. What were the data on inquires for the ppl that got these substantial CLIs? Any idea?

Message 4 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

I guess it is to ask, what are the data points on the people who successfully got a CLI  upon activation of their card? 

Message 5 of 30
GeorgiaBulldog
Regular Contributor

I didn't request a CLI immediately at activation, but did so within a couple weeks. Starting limit was 3600, asked for 17.5k. Citi countered with 8400. Very few inquiries at the time, maybe 2 on each bureau at the most. They pulled EQ both times. Scores were in 770+ range at the time I think. Income is not super high and I have large student loan debt. All that considered, I was very happy with a >100% CLI for another HP.
Favorite cards: AMEX Morgan Stanley Platinum | BofA Alaska | Chase Hyatt | Citi AA Executive | FNBO Amtrak
Message 6 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was approved for $4,000. I asked for $7,500 upon activa...

I was approved for $4,000. I asked for $7,500 at activation and was approved. Kind of wish I asked for more but it's better than nothing 🙃

Message 7 of 30
redpat
Senior Contributor

Re: I was approved for $4,000. I asked for $7,500 upon activa...

it could be too much available credit can start having a impact on new card CLs.  Just because you have cards with 25k limits doesn't mean everyone is going to follow.  Besides, DC is notorious for giving out small starting limits.

You will probably going to have to take another HP for a limit increase.

Wow five times for a card that gives you the same rewards you already have, you must want of wanted citi that bad to blow that many HPs, lol.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 8 of 30
shakalaka
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

A MC! Of course! Lol. But that's good to know they issue Elite at lower amounts. 

As for the HPs, I have far, far too many. What were the data on inquires for the ppl that got these substantial CLIs? Any idea?

Here, SL 7k, SP CLI after 6 month to 8.5k, HP CLI to 33k after 12 month Smiley Very Happy

FICO (TU/EX/EQ): 773/766/778 - Total CL 255+K
Message 9 of 30
jawbrkr
Established Contributor

Exactly why I am hesitant to apply for any citi cards. The chance I may get a low starting CL. I am prequalified for at least 5 of their cards but refuse to pull the trigger.

|| TU08: 811 || EQ08: 811 || EX08: 802 ||

Message 10 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.