Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi DC, new Terms To Exclude Gift Cards From Earning Points

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citi DC, new Terms To Exclude Gift Cards From Earning Points

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/citi-double-adds-terms-to-exclude-gift-cards-from-earning-points/ Again, not sure if and how they will enforce, but ToS is updated.

Citi seems to be trying to push people away from DC? reduced benefits, tightening reward earning. What is the deal? lol

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

Re: Citi DC, new Terms To Exclude Gift Cards From Earning Points

I don’t see citi enforcing this, they are one of the most relaxed banks about policing MS.

Many of the members I know that are very heavy in the MS community have never spent an organic dime on their citi cards but have upwards of 100K a year spend.

For the time being this seems more like a legal cover their behinds change

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 2 of 11
redpat
Senior Contributor

If I read this correctly they were talking about reloadable gift cards or cash equivalents.

No mention of regular gift cards.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 3 of 11
Noctilum
Frequent Contributor

It probably won't be enforced right away, but it can be enforced by receiving Level 3 data from the business. Not all of them are doing it yet but since it is supposed to reduce swipe fees for the business I am sure more will adopt it. It will provide line item details of everything purchased, so if you buy a ton of groceries but also throw a random gift card in the transaction like so many of us do, then they will be able to extract that portion of the transaction so you do not get the bonus on that particular item.
Message 4 of 11
MakingProgress
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/citi-double-adds-terms-to-exclude-gift-cards-from-earning-points/ Again, not sure if and how they will enforce, but ToS is updated.

Citi seems to be trying to push people away from DC? reduced benefits, tightening reward earning. What is the deal? lol

I belive they reduced benefits accross the board not just the DC.

FICO 8 Starting Score

Current Scores

Garden Goal is All Reports Clean – Achieved 11/26/20
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

They definitely aren't trying to push people away, because they keep hounding me to convert my DP to the DC. I've even gotten a couple FINAL offers. 

Message 6 of 11
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@MakingProgress wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I belive they reduced benefits accross the board not just the DC.

All Citi cards are getting nerfed, but to varying degrees. As one example, Costco will keep the extended warranty feature while DC will lose it. But all Citi cards will be losing Price Rewind.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 7 of 11
vic6string
Regular Contributor

Just following in Amex's footsteps. I have a feeling that by next year most banks will have something like this in their TOS. The churners abused the system and we will all end up paying for it. 

Message 8 of 11
vic6string
Regular Contributor

@redpat wrote:

If I read this correctly they were talking about reloadable gift cards or cash equivalents.

No mention of regular gift cards.

It states "...load or reloads of balances on gift cards..." Technically, the gift card on the rack is just a chunk of plastic. When you buy it you are buying the "load" of credit on to it. So this wording does in fact include all gift cards; reloadable or otherwise.

Message 9 of 11
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Shadowfactor wrote:
I don’t see citi enforcing this, they are one of the most relaxed banks about policing MS.

Many of the members I know that are very heavy in the MS community have never spent an organic dime on their citi cards but have upwards of 100K a year spend.

For the time being this seems more like a legal cover their behinds change

Depends!   They were very aggressive in shutting down MS on the 5x TYP when that took off (should never have had that reward structure in the first place, but.....)   But yes, 2x on DC doesn't seem to be an issue for them

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.