Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi DC shopping protections gone?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citi DC shopping protections gone?

With a few large, non category, purchases on the horizon I figured I might look for a "2%" card. I want more than cash back though. I want shopping protections as this would be a big use for the card. .

I've seen a few things for Citi:

- price rewind

- warranty protection +1 year

I know that Citi recently cut down "price rewind" but is it even a benefit of DC cards? Warranty? These aren't listed in cardmember benefits or the product description.

AMEX Cash Magnet is looking better and better....

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
arkane
Established Contributor

Re: Citi DC shopping protections gone?

Barclays Uber Visa also offers price protection (120 days, $250/claim, 4 claims/year) and extended warranty (+1 year).

Active:

Closed:

6/8/20:

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the tip. I actually already have the Uber Visa. I might just take a HP to see if I can get enough of an increase to make the phone purchase later

Message 3 of 11
PDXoriginal
Regular Contributor

According to the latest Protection Benefits Guide effective 7/29/18, the Citi DC offers 90 days Damage & Theft Protection up to $1000. Extends warranty to a additional 24 months. And 90 days Return Protection.

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Price rewind is awesome. Just got nearly $100 credited to my statement on tires and a bicycle I bought went on a 4 day sale recently and I have pending credit of about $200 from that.

Concerned about getting the best price during black friday shopping? Use your Citi DC card!

I most often do manual submissions but they have auto-price tracking as well.

They also now have a $150 sign up bonus. You're not going to find a better day-to-day cash back card than the Citi DC. I welcome a healthy debate if you think otherwise.

Message 5 of 11
arkane
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Price rewind is awesome. Just got nearly $100 credited to my statement on tires and a bicycle I bought went on a 4 day sale recently and I have pending credit of about $200 from that.

Concerned about getting the best price during black friday shopping? Use your Citi DC card!

They also now have a $150 sign up bonus. You're not going to find a better day-to-day cash back card than the Citi DC. I welcome a healthy debate if you think otherwise.

Are you counting the $150 SUB or no? Because if not...

- USAA Limitless (2.5%)

- Alliant CU Visa Signature Rewards (3% first year, 2.5% after that, $59 AF waived first year)

- Discover It is functionally a 2% card in the first year with cash back match, and 10% in rotating categories

There Smiley Tongue. But yes I don't think you'll find a 2% CB card with a better SUB right now.

Active:

Closed:

6/8/20:

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

They still offer most purchase protections and even Trip Cancellation Insurance(not delay). I believe coverage is contingent on Mastercard type though.(World vs World Elite)

Message 7 of 11
EJMiv
Valued Member

@arkane wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Are you counting the $150 SUB or no? Because if not...

- USAA Limitless (2.5%)

- Alliant CU Visa Signature Rewards (3% first year, 2.5% after that, $59 AF waived first year)

- Discover It is functionally a 2% card in the first year with cash back match, and 10% in rotating categories

There Smiley Tongue. But yes I don't think you'll find a 2% CB card with a better SUB right now.

I’d be all over Limitless in a heartbeat, but it closed for new applications 12/29/17. I was planning to apply as soon as my refi closed, but USAA ended the pilot before I had the opportunity. :-/

Message 8 of 11
BlueSea
New Contributor

Two ideas from me.
1. If the purchases are from Home Depot or Lowe's, get Chase Freedom Unlimited. 1.5+2% cash back = 3.5%. Purchases have to be done online only via Ultimate rewards.
2. Discover Miles 1.5+1.5 % cash back on everything first year. But unfortunately I think they also removed the extended warranty.
Citi DC is also a good card.
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks everyone. I might go DC after all because the 2% category with the uber card is so finicky. I just didn't see the benefits at the citi benefits link below or at the card applications page. Is there a PDF i'm missing orsomething?

https://www.cardbenefits.citi.com/

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.