Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi DC vs CFU

tag
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: Citi DC vs CFU

@pinkandgrey wrote:

It’s probably going to be a mix here, but I will stand firmly in the DC camp. I’ve had both and I obviously like the DC better. The better rate of cash back (duh), the better customer service (at least in my experience), the great app for Citi, and the SP CLIs. (I don’t THINK you get a lot of SP CLIs with Chase.)

Ultimately it’s your call, but that’s my input. 

There are no customer-initiated SP CLIs with Chase.

Sometimes Chase initiates the CLI via giving an auto CLI or inviting the customer to ask for one HP-free. The latter is very uncommon (at least for aggressive credit seekers here).

If the customer initiates it, Chase requires a HP.

Complicating the customer service question is that a lot of CFU users have other cards or accounts that grant access to one of the higher tiers of Chase customer service (Sapphire or Executive).

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 11 of 22
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@pinkandgrey wrote:

It’s probably going to be a mix here, but I will stand firmly in the DC camp. I’ve had both and I obviously like the DC better. The better rate of cash back (duh), the better customer service (at least in my experience), the great app for Citi, and the SP CLIs. (I don’t THINK you get a lot of SP CLIs with Chase.)

Ultimately it’s your call, but that’s my input. 

Unlike pinkandgrey, I am not a fan of the DC for a 2% card, I think the Paypal one is better, and possibly the Penfed one as well.   OP, any particular reason why the Citi card specifically?

Message 12 of 22
CreditSage
Regular Contributor

It has a good balance of BT (needing to do one now) and long term value (i.e. rewards once I pay off balance). 

Current Open: NFCU AMEX $6,800 CL | Chase Freedom $3,800 CL | QS1 $1,300 CL | BankAmericard $24,000 CL (AU) | NFCU SSL $3,000 |
FICO 8 EXP, EQ, TU: 675-715 (depending on Utl.) | AAoA 3 Years 3 Months | AoYA 0 Months

Closed: American Honda Finance Installment $16,000 paid satisfactorily | Capital One Secured $700 paid satisfactorily | Wells Fargo credit card $3,000 paid charge off settled less than full amount (badie 2015) | Bank of America credit card $1,000 paid charge off settled less than full amount (badie 2015)
Message 13 of 22
CreditSage
Regular Contributor

Thanks for all of the good feedback everyone. Honestly looks like I can't go wrong either way. I suppose I will do prequal online tomorrow when everything updates and see between the two cards what comes back. 

Any advice on the prequal online for Chase v Citi? Insights, etc..

Current Open: NFCU AMEX $6,800 CL | Chase Freedom $3,800 CL | QS1 $1,300 CL | BankAmericard $24,000 CL (AU) | NFCU SSL $3,000 |
FICO 8 EXP, EQ, TU: 675-715 (depending on Utl.) | AAoA 3 Years 3 Months | AoYA 0 Months

Closed: American Honda Finance Installment $16,000 paid satisfactorily | Capital One Secured $700 paid satisfactorily | Wells Fargo credit card $3,000 paid charge off settled less than full amount (badie 2015) | Bank of America credit card $1,000 paid charge off settled less than full amount (badie 2015)
Message 14 of 22
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@CreditSage wrote:

Thanks for all of the good feedback everyone. Honestly looks like I can't go wrong either way. I suppose I will do prequal online tomorrow when everything updates and see between the two cards what comes back. 

Any advice on the prequal online for Chase v Citi? Insights, etc..

You are welcome!

Advice on the prequal, just fill out the info. Both are pretty straight forward.

Let us know how it turns out for ya?

Side note: both Chase and Citi phone app's are fine with me, as well as website portals.

I heard the PayPal 2% CC phone APP is not so good. I have an old Ebay Extras MC, and it's is kind of a pain to deal with on the website,

have to log into paypal then it re-directs to Synch MC. I don't bother with the phone APP, the card is pretty much SD.

Message 15 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I went through the same debate a month ago... DC vs. CFU.  I ended up going with the CFU for these reasons:

1.  No SUB on DC.  CFU gives me 3% on everything for a year.

2.  CFU gives me 0% APR for 15 months on purchases and BTs.  DC gives up to 18 months 0% but on BTs only.

3.  I already have a Chase card, which I think improves approval odds slightly (5/24 notwithstanding).  Applying was a cinch when logged in.  Just had to enter income and a couple other things, and bam, approved.

4.  Chase SLs tend to be higher than Citi, which gets you a better line up front.  Citi has SP CLIs after a while, but growing it takes longer.  Chase is HP only unless they auto CLI.

5.  Having had a Chase card already, I'm familiar with their web interface, and like it.  I didn't have to create a new login like I would have if I'd applied for a Citi card.  Their notifications are great too, I get a text before I've even pulled the card out of the reader at the store.

6.  If I start traveling more in the future, I can add CSP or CSR to leverage UR points for travel.

Loving my CFU so far.  It's contactless too, but I haven't had the occasion to use that feature yet, as no stores I've been to since I got it offer it.

Message 16 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here's how I see it.

The Citi DC can be a good long term value, especially if you don't have a 2% back card. Non-category spend is often a large percentage of a person's monthly spend, and sometimes even more than many of us give credit for. Again, the DC is a long term value in my mind. As others have pointed out, the difference between 1%, 1.5%, and 2% isn't a ton unless your spend begins reaching certain levels. That combined with the lack of a SUB on the DC make it a long term card in my mind.

The CFU may be a better short term option. It essentially earns 3% cash back the first year you have it, and if you can move most of your spend over to it, you can make out pretty well. I see more of the long term value in the CFU being realized if you have a CSP/CSR and begin using the CFU as a way to gather additional UR. 

I've never banked with Citi so personally cannot speak to their customer service. However, my father had a DC for years and travels World wide for a living. He never had issues with Citi's customer service and was able to use his DC anywhere in the World he may have ended up because of their familiarity with his travel and spending.

It's worth keeping in mind that you get access to "Sapphire Customer Service" reps with Chase if you carry a CSP/CSR as well. My understanding of their non-Sapphire customer service reps is that they are average. Never mind Chase's finicky monitoring of your credit profile. Not that I see this as a bad thing, and have even considered switching from MR to UR at times because I feel my profile fits Chase well. But they certainly aren't for everyone.

Message 17 of 22
CreditSage
Regular Contributor

I called to temp lift security freezes to see if that was the issue. I didn't wait the suggested hour so maybe I'll try again later today. Also, I was previously opted-out of pre-screened offers but I opted back in about two weeks ago so that should be lifted by now. Does this mean I just plain old don't qualify? I wanted to make sure I eliminate other technical reasons before makinging that conclusion. Also, should I maybe go into a branch?

Here's what I got from chase.com/prequalification:

We are unable to locate any offers for you at this time.

This may be because you have opted out of "pre-screened" offers from Chase and other companies or you have recently responded to another offer from Chase.

However we may still have products to meet your needs. Please continue to chase.com

Message 18 of 22
Drwaz99
Established Contributor

@CreditSage wrote:

I called to temp lift security freezes to see if that was the issue. I didn't wait the suggested hour so maybe I'll try again later today. Also, I was previously opted-out of pre-screened offers but I opted back in about two weeks ago so that should be lifted by now. Does this mean I just plain old don't qualify? I wanted to make sure I eliminate other technical reasons before makinging that conclusion. Also, should I maybe go into a branch?

Here's what I got from chase.com/prequalification:

We are unable to locate any offers for you at this time.

This may be because you have opted out of "pre-screened" offers from Chase and other companies or you have recently responded to another offer from Chase.

However we may still have products to meet your needs. Please continue to chase.com

I can't speak for Chase*, but I know for Citi they tend to pull profiles that match what they are looking for, at that specific moment, in batches every few months. For example last December I checked Citi PreQuals and hit the middle of the road APR's on the cards offered (was looking at the AAdvantage card but was curious to see what else I could qualify for since co-branded tend not to show in PreQuals). Checked a month later and they were gone.  Fast forward a couple more months and they returned with the lowest offered APR. I was still about 2 months away from actually applying but when I did at the end of April, I had no PreQuals, again, but pulled the trigger on the AA card since my profile hadn't changed and was instantly approved for a good APR and SL. 

TLDR; Not having any preapprovals doesn't mean you won't get approved. If your profile is good, you shouldn't have any issues. But as always, your milage may vary. 

*I have never received a PreQual from Chase on their website, but using their free Credit Journey site (https://creditcards.chase.com/free-credit-score), I have preapprovals for the CF, CFU, and CSP at the best interest rates. So you could try that site out, too.

Message 19 of 22
wasCB14
Super Contributor

True. Pre-qual offers are sent based on periodic batch searches. Two weeks might not be enough to get back on Chase's radar.

But it's also true that a profile with FICOs fluctuating as low as 675 despite a 3.5 year AAoA and 1.33 year AoYA may fall short of their UW criteria, or at least their pre-qual criteria.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.