Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi DC vs. Chase FU... again...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Citi DC vs. Chase FU... again...

I have both. I like DC's simplicity, no need to pairing up with other cards to get good value.

If you want to go CFU, you will need CSR and fast. Planning to get it in 2 or 3 years is not a smart thing. You may as well wait until you are ready for CSR before getting CFU. Just in case chase decide to do stupid things before then.

Message 11 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well... I could always get CFU for the 3% and 0% APR 1st year, and CSP later...  and if Chase nerfs that... I can always close it and get something else.  It's not like I have to choose a card now and stick with it until I die.  I hope. Smiley Happy

I have no way of predicting what they will do... I can't even predict where *I* will be in 2-3 years.  If someone told me 2-3 years ago I'd be divorced now, I would have kicked them in the... well you know. LOL.

At least, for now, the UR points are transferable, and if that changes, I can still get my 1.5-3% cash back from them.  Who knows if I'll ever go CSP (or CSR) later on at all.

I can only go on what I know now.  And now the CFU looks good.  Maybe tomorrow I'll change my mind again. LOL.

(I looked at the Paypal MC by Synchrony as another 2% option, but other issues with that card caused me to rule that out... plus I'm not big on Sync...)

P.S. Another member got a mailer offering 4% for the first year on CFU... don't know if that one is for real, but if that one pops up for me in the next few weeks, my decision will be made.

Message 12 of 20
staticvoidmain
Established Contributor

I wouldn't think too much about the future on this. Policies change all the time. This is especially true with Chase. If you think of getting another card in the future for travel, either of these might be fine. Just don't use these on travel because both have a hefty FTF of I believe, 3%? (FTF is the reason I got PayPal, but that is because it all depends on every person's usage. Your disadvantages might not be mine. This means only you can truly have an informed decision on your conundrum).

Message 13 of 20
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@staticvoidmain wrote:

I wouldn't think too much about the future on this. Policies change all the time. This is especially true with Chase. If you think of getting another card in the future for travel, either of these might be fine. Just don't use these on travel because both have a hefty FTF of I believe, 3%? (FTF is the reason I got PayPal, but that is because it all depends on every person's usage. Your disadvantages might not be mine. This means only you can truly have an informed decision on your conundrum).

Not only do policies change, reward programs change! Sometimes for the better and sometimes (or often) not. So planning too far out just doesn't make sense. The credit rewards market is fluid.

Message 14 of 20
mikesonthemend
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Citi DC disadvantages:

*  No 0% on purchases, only BTs

No insight to share as to which taste better, Coke, Pepsi? I can share DW has 0% on purchases and BT's (with 3% transfer fee) for 15 months.

Living through Darwinism is so much worse than learning about about it in school.
Message 15 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@M_Smart007 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Individually...the DC is better, the FU is better if you have multiple Chase cards.

+1

I would agree. I had both, I just product changed the FU To The 5% Freedom for 5% Quarter on Gas.

Chase Usually, not always, but in my Case, started My out with very High SL's, even With Citi SP's,

My CL's are still higher on The Chase Cards with no increases. YMMV

Copied @M_Smart007 and p/c'd from the Chase FU to the Freedon to capture the 5% categories. Because of this Forum I realized points were floating out the door and I could increase my Ultimate Rewards! As to cards being nerfed ... certainly could happen. For me both Citi and Chase have honored my every wish on p/cing between different cards so I will worry about it when it happens (if). Can't live life worrying about what might be. Grab the moment and run with it! Smiley Happy

Message 16 of 20
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Maybe get bothSmiley Happy. Nothing wrong with lender diversity and they can age together. For what its worth , the PPMC 2% card is not as bad as people want to make it.
Message 17 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Copied @M_Smart007 and p/c'd from the Chase FU to the Freedon to capture the 5% categories...

Just looked at the Freedom and the 5% categories, and they don't really fit my spend patterns that well.  I do most grocery shopping at Walmart so it only benefits me when Walmart is a 5% category... my BoA Cash Rewards gives me 2% on groceries including Walmart all the time, and I also get 3% on gas with that card.  5% is better, but for only 1 quarter a year at that.  Most online shopping is Amazon Prime and I have the Chase Amazon Visa for 5% on that.  On occasion Chase offers bonus cash back for a period of time on other things with the Amazon card... recent ones including dining, bill pay (loved that one!), Zappos, and most recently, 6% on Amazon purchases on Prime Day.

CFU or Citi DC is still the best bet for me... a >1% for everything card is all I lack right now for cash back purposes.

Message 18 of 20
delaney1
Established Contributor

BOA gives 2% back at Walmart? I’m assuming that means I’d also get 2% back at Target too, hmmmm. Very nice.
Message 19 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@delaney1 wrote:
BOA gives 2% back at Walmart? I’m assuming that means I’d also get 2% back at Target too, hmmmm. Very nice.

It's possible... give it a try.  You can see what bonus rewards you got from the website.

The Walmarts here that I shop at are Supercenters which might have some bearing on how BoA sees them as grocery stores.

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.