Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi DC vs NFCU Flagship Card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Citi DC vs NFCU Flagship Card

Another thought to throw in the mix....PC NFCU to their Platinum card and keep Citi and NFCU open.  This way you still keep a good rewards card with Citi for daily spend and keep the 20k with NFCU credit line for padding, possibly reducing their APR to 5.99 (currently) for any unexpected larger spend or emergency while losing the annual fee?  

ETA:  I’m a rookie at all this though and don’t have 1/2 the understanding of the more experienced here so please don’t give my suggestions too much weight....I may need to stay in the shallow end a little longer. 😁

Message 11 of 21
kilroy8
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@kilroy8 wrote:

While not offered right now, the 50K point SUB will return and tilt this towards NFCU.

If there is no travel spend, this is only true until the 11th year after which Double Cash is a better option. 🤪

(Since OP already has both cards, SUB is kind of moot though.)

I know, my comment was for the inevitable googlers that will be using this info in the future. We are all famous knowledgeable MF'ers, you know?

Message 12 of 21
Harvey26
Valued Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@Harvey26 wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

If you spend more than $4900 a year on expenses that code as travel, Flagship wins. If there is a monetary value to perks offered by either card that will need to be factored in.

Yes I spend about double to triple that.

In which case you are getting $50-100 more value annually from Flagship after the AF is deducted, without monetary value for any other perks.  Replacing Flagship with Citi Premier or Prestige and converting DC's cash back to TYPs could make the DC a better option.  But if we are just comparing cash back, for you Flagship likely wins in a landslide.

Edit: as for APR, both issuers will lower them but NFCU has a lower floor than Citi except for very rare old cards that are grandfathered at a lower rate.

Thanks everyone for the input! I have decided to keep my flagship and make it my daily driver. I do my primarily banking with NFCU. Just makes the most sense I will more then compensate for $49 annual fee

Amex ED: 7K, Delta Gold Amex: 7K Macys Amex: 8K , Bloomingdales Amex: 1K , BOA Premium Rewards: 59.9K , Best Buy Visa: 7K , Banana Republic Mastercard: 5K Target Store Card: 2K VACU Mastercard: 11.5K Discover: 25K, Penfed Platinum Rewards: 12.5K, Apple Card:3K, TD Double Up: 15K,
Message 13 of 21
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Glad we could help!   There may be 100 ways to earn more in rewards, but there's also value in simplicity when it comes to the internal flowchart of which card to use where and why - and since you'll likely be well above 2% on average you're doing quite well.

Message 14 of 21
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

While I have (2) Citi DC cards ...Penfed 2% and AOD 3% (giggles)

I personally prefer The Flagship.

Rates/fees/rewards & Features/benifits .. Also find the customer service outstanding!!!

https://www.navyfederal.org/loans-cards/credit-cards/flagship-visa-signature/

Just my $0.02 cents ...from the very shallow end of the kiddie poolSmiley Tongue

Message 15 of 21
Credit4Growth
Senior Contributor

My question for you to as you self and share with us, concerning credit profile and after reading the quoted post, would be, "Why get rid of the Flagship?".

Also, did you receive a sign-up bonus for it which would essentially make it pay for itself for a few years?

Message 16 of 21
Credit4Growth
Senior Contributor

@Credit4Growth wrote:

My question for you to as you self and share with us, concerning credit profile and after reading the quoted post, would be, "Why get rid of the Flagship?".

Also, did you receive a sign-up bonus for it which would essentially make it pay for itself for a few years?

@Anonymous 

I just read your OP.  Maybe it is not the Flagship but there are other great suggestions & info in this post.

P.s.  I have a 2% PSECU card and a Navy Flagship, however each have distinct benefits *to me* which is why I will be keeping both.

Message 17 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@M_Smart007 wrote:

While I have (2) Citi DC cards ...Penfed 2% and AOD 3% (giggles)

I personally prefer The Flagship.

Rates/fees/rewards & Features/benifits .. Also find the customer service outstanding!!!

https://www.navyfederal.org/loans-cards/credit-cards/flagship-visa-signature/

Just my $0.02 cents ...from the very shallow end of the kiddie poolSmiley Tongue

”shallow end of the kiddie pool” 😂😂😂😂😂

Message 18 of 21
Harvey26
Valued Contributor

@Girlzilla88 wrote:

Me I would keep the NF I wouldn't lose a 10k higher just to keep 1% lower ^^

So I went to pay my mortgage and car note with my credit card as usual and plastiq does not allow visa credit cards to process those payments.... WELP guess the flagship will go

Amex ED: 7K, Delta Gold Amex: 7K Macys Amex: 8K , Bloomingdales Amex: 1K , BOA Premium Rewards: 59.9K , Best Buy Visa: 7K , Banana Republic Mastercard: 5K Target Store Card: 2K VACU Mastercard: 11.5K Discover: 25K, Penfed Platinum Rewards: 12.5K, Apple Card:3K, TD Double Up: 15K,
Message 19 of 21
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

Before you base your decision on your ability to use Plastiq, be aware that Plastiq just increased its credit card fee from 2.5% to 2.85%.  You can read about this in Doctor of Credit.  Plastiq will be notifying its users this week.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.