Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi DC vs PayPal Mastercard

tag
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Re: Citi DC vs PayPal Mastercard

@KDKobes wrote:
The Alliant Card is an option as well. I had the PayPal Extras Card for about a month & would never have a PayPal Card ever again. Customer support is impossible, balances & payments take at minimum 2-3 “business days” to adjust correctly, I could go on and on... lots of people love the PayPal 3% trick but for me that month of having my PayPal Card was the worst card experience I’ve ever had with a company hands down. I’m no PayPal fan-boy....I wanted to be, but I guess it’s 50/50 shot if it’s for you or not. Not to be the dolly-downer after all the positivity on the PayPal Card but that’s my experience.

I hear you. I’m happy with Citi so far and have no plans to head to PayPal. Never use the actual PayPal service anyway. 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 11 of 29
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

PenFed would require me to park $500 in their checking to get 2% back and not be subject to their $10 account inactivity fee

That's the only reason I don't rate the Penfed card as highly as the PP one.   A lot of 2% cards have had some sort of restriction: DC is the 1+1, Fidelity is the need for a Fidelity account to get full 2% on lower redemptions, Penfed is the checking account, PayPal requires redemption through PayPal (and then onto the bank if you wish).    That's before any real or perceived issuer quirks.   Of which the biggest is:  Blispay doesn't work!

Message 12 of 29
expatCanuck
Super Contributor

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

In my opinion, PenFed's Power Cash Rewards is the best 2% card available.  It does everything the PayPal card does, except for that 3% loophole, without having to deal with Synchrony.  Lots of people on this forum like to trash PenFed, but I would rather deal with them than Citi, Synchrony, or Elan (who issues the Fidelity card).

Does the PenFed card have a foreign transaction fee?

2023 Goal: save 3 months' net income

Starting FICO8: 666 (give or take a FICO)
[ Last INQ 12-Feb-2024 ]
EQ8415 INQ (Auto, CC, HELOC, 2 mort)7y2m
EX8125 INQ (2 CC, 2 mort, HELoan)6y11m
TU8294 INQ (3 CC, 1 mort)6y6m
5/243/12AoYA 0m | AoOA 23y6m~3%
Message 13 of 29
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

In my opinion, PenFed's Power Cash Rewards is the best 2% card available.  It does everything the PayPal card does, except for that 3% loophole, without having to deal with Synchrony.  Lots of people on this forum like to trash PenFed, but I would rather deal with them than Citi, Synchrony, or Elan (who issues the Fidelity card).

NotedSmiley Wink . Id rather deal with Citi , heck even Sync over Penfed. At least people have honest chsnces at getting credit from those lenders. Penfed just chooses which members they prefer lol. My opinion of course as yours is yoursSmiley Wink. Id prefer Paypal for ease of use, Citi for easier to tslk to.

Message 14 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@expatCanuck wrote:

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

No FTF with that card. 

Message 15 of 29
expatCanuck
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@expatCanuck wrote:

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

No FTF with that card. 

Thanks.  Good to know.  Might be worth leaving the garden for, as I believe that my DC is bucketed (originally acquired as a Forward about a decade ago; in that time, my scores have seen a couple of dips).

[ Last INQ 12-Feb-2024 ]
Message 16 of 29
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@expatCanuck wrote:

Thanks.  Good to know.  Might be worth leaving the garden for, as I believe that my DC is bucketed (originally acquired as a Forward about a decade ago; in that time, my scores have seen a couple of dips).

Down to the dire depths of, gasp, 804!

Message 17 of 29
expatCanuck
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@expatCanuck wrote:

Down to the dire depths of, gasp, 804!

Yeah, but it's seen the mid-600's on a couple of occasions (2010, 2015-2017).  That said, I'm cautiously optimistic that I've got (and can keep) my act together now.

[ Last INQ 12-Feb-2024 ]
Message 18 of 29
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

PenFed would require me to park $500 in their checking to get 2% back and not be subject to their $10 account inactivity fee

That's the only reason I don't rate the Penfed card as highly as the PP one.   A lot of 2% cards have had some sort of restriction: DC is the 1+1, Fidelity is the need for a Fidelity account to get full 2% on lower redemptions, Penfed is the checking account, PayPal requires redemption through PayPal (and then onto the bank if you wish).    That's before any real or perceived issuer quirks.   Of which the biggest is:  Blispay doesn't work!

This just reminded me, for a fee, PayPal can transfer to your bank within 30 minutes. I tried it out and had my rewards in my bank in less than 5.

Message 19 of 29
staticvoidmain
Established Contributor

Citi may be subjectively more "well liked", but in my experience, Synchrony has a far more generous CLI process. That said, I never had any issues with Citi.

I will also add to the list of people who strongly prefer PayPal. No FTF means it is 2% every where, literally. No minimum redemption and straight 2% means you can use what you earn on your current statement, making it straight 2% discount.

And as others have metioned 3% with PP debit. I love PP and the fact that I have a credit/debit combo, for when debit is the only option, plus I earn the 2%.

Message 20 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.