Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi DC vs Venture?

tag
ToxikPH
Established Contributor

Citi DC vs Venture?

I'm having trouble understanding the difference between the DC and Venture card as the Venture has a $95 AF but is basically just a 2% back card? What's the benefits of it over the DC? I know about the 10x on hotels.com but that's only through January, the card seems pointless besides that bonus.

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Citi DC vs Venture?

Have you read the comparison of the two cards on the Citi site?

Message 2 of 14
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@ToxikPH wrote:

I'm having trouble understanding the difference between the DC and Venture card as the Venture has a $95 AF but is basically just a 2% back card? What's the benefits of it over the DC? I know about the 10x on hotels.com but that's only through January, the card seems pointless besides that bonus.

Excluding hotels.com (which is also available on Venture One with no AF), there are only two reasons for Venture:

1) First year SUB.    It can certainly be worth getting it for the first year if you are into collecting SUBs

2) Transfer partners.    If you can use the airline partners, then arguably it can be worth more than 2%

But after the first year, for most, there is little point.   As you say, it has an AF, and also to get 2%, you need to redeem for travel (well, there is a way round that but that could go away).   So paying a fee for a restricted 2% card, unless 2) applies, does seem misguided!

That said, I wouldn't use DC as the comparison though, use say the Paypal MC.   That has more Cap One type features: no FTF, no min redemption and no silly 1+1 stuff.   (Unlike Cap One cards, you have to wait to statement close to get the rewards)

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lesser of two evils?

DC is a bit easier to deal with than trying to push Cap1 on CLI's over the long term.  They both SP CLI but, you're more likely to get one w/ Citi than Cap1.

Message 4 of 14
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Have you read the comparison of the two cards on the Citi site?

Where is that?   (Although I wouldn't necessarily trust Citi to point out shortcomings vs venture!)

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Venture is a “travel” card that is not geared toward loyalty to any one brand. Some like the flexibility of it. 

It also has a TSA/Global Entry credit, and no FTF. 

This card doesn’t benefit everyone like all cards. 

This card does benefit some, again, like all cards. 

I will say I always carry it with me when traveling abroad. It comes in handy when only Visa/MC is accepted. And my AF is not $95 😁

Message 6 of 14
ToxikPH
Established Contributor

Sounds like the best course of action is to get the Venture for the bonus then downgrade to VentureOne at a year cause it is no AF and still no FTF. This way you can have a no FTF Visa if you're like me with mainly Amex. Seems like having both is a good idea cause the DC is totally worth an easy 2% with no AF.

Message 7 of 14
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@ToxikPH wrote:

Sounds like the best course of action is to get the Venture for the bonus then downgrade to VentureOne at a year cause it is no AF and still no FTF. This way you can have a no FTF Visa if you're like me with mainly Amex. Seems like having both is a good idea cause the DC is totally worth an easy 2% with no AF.

I'm going to keep my DC for a bit for a few last price protection claims and extended warranty coverage on legacy purchases...

...but in terms of rewards your BBP could crush it like a bug if you're serious about MRs and plan to keep your Gold.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

Where is that?   (Although I wouldn't necessarily trust Citi to point out shortcomings vs venture!)

I just mean the card info provided by Citi at https://citicards.citi.com

In terms of comparing two different Citi products, it seems that would be the most logical first place to start IMO.

Message 9 of 14
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

I just mean the card info provided by Citi at https://citicards.citi.com

In terms of comparing two different Citi products, it seems that would be the most logical first place to start IMO.

Well, it would be if they WERE both Citi products.  Venture is Cap One.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.