Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Designs + EMV?

tag
leoment
Frequent Contributor

Citi Designs + EMV?

Hi,

Does anyone know whether it is possible to keep the design on your Forward card when you request an EMV card? I have this design,    and I'd REALLY like to keep it, and simply get the chip added.  I guess the thread about vanity cards does kinda ring true, but I like this design way more than I do the one the Forward comes with standard (green/black).

Thanks!

800+ across all three (via FAKOs) has been achieved! Current goal - Get down to 6 cards in total - sitting with 8 currently.
Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Citi Designs + EMV?

I don't know the answer to your question, but I do know that it is IMPOSSIBLE  to add an EMV chip to a Forward card!   No matter what people say here. 

Citi told me that twice today. 

When I indicated disbelief, they then left a message in the secure message center saying I had to call them.  I did and spent an enjoyable 20 minutes, mainly on hold, with a rep who didn't have a clue, and ended with "I think the message was a mistake, we don't need to verify your account".  I then explained again why I was calling, he asked me to hold, and I told him to call back.

10 minutes later I got a call back saying that my Forward card already had an EMV chip (although it is impossible as well).   In fact, I had used the form today to order a replacement with a chip (as someone (you?) suggested).   That had confused the system but he said the card had been sent out today.  This was about 90 mins after I requested the replacement, so I wait and see.

But, it's impossible to add an EMV to Forward, your Forward card already has one, and we are sending you one with it.

Slighly worse score than usual there.....

Message 2 of 28
andre181
Established Contributor

My Forward has one. It was easy to get. I just requested...

My Forward has one. It was easy to get. I just requested a new card online using the new card request tool. 

To the OP, I can't say for sure if that design can get the chip or not. But try it anyway. If the new card arrives with the black and green design, your white card should still work. My account number, CVV, and expiration all stayed the same. 

Sorry but copies of personal CC's are not allowed.  Lightnin, myFICO Moderator 

Discover IT $35K | FNBO Visa $30K | Cash+ Visa Sig $19.5K | Southwest Premier $16K | Priceline $15K | Citi Forward $14.3K | US Bank Plat $14K | Commerce Bank $13K | CSP $13K | CSR $10K | Sallie Mae World MC $10K | Lowe’s Consumer 10K | BoA Cash Rewards 1-2-3 Sig $7.5K | Fidelity Visa $7K | Citi Double Cash $6.5K | WF Cash Back Visa $5.4K | Capital One Cash Rewards $5K | AMEX BCE $3.9K | Freedom $2.5K | Younkers/Comenity $2.4K | Kohl’s 1.5K | Target $1.4K | EX FICO (from AMEX): 768, TU FICO (from Discover): 797, AAoA: 4.4 years
Message 3 of 28
rex_03
Contributor

Re: My Forward has one. It was easy to get. I just requested...

Nice looking card, I like. I'm waiting patiently for my new EMV TY preferred.. 4500 limit.

Message 4 of 28
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@longtimelurker wrote:

I don't know the answer to your question, but I do know that it is IMPOSSIBLE  to add an EMV chip to a Forward card!   No matter what people say here. 

When I indicated disbelief, they then left a message in the secure message center saying I had to call them.  I did and spent an enjoyable 20 minutes, mainly on hold, with a rep who didn't have a clue, and ended with "I think the message was a mistake, we don't need to verify your account".  I then explained again why I was calling, he asked me to hold, and I told him to call back.

10 minutes later I got a call back saying that my Forward card already had an EMV chip (although it is impossible as well).   In fact, I had used the form today to order a replacement with a chip (as someone (you?) suggested).   That had confused the system but he said the card had been sent out today.  This was about 90 mins after I requested the replacement, so I wait and see.

But, it's impossible to add an EMV to Forward, your Forward card already has one, and we are sending you one with it.

A family member of mine has a similar CC like the one pictured above (by Andy) with the EMV chip, except hers is a Forward Signature Visa (rarely see any of them around).  Thus, as valid confirmation from the above, it is POSSIBLE.  Now, as far as why they are experiencing any difficulties with issuing you a similar Forward EMV does seem like an anomaly for sure.  Maybe they ran out of EMV chips on that particular day.

Message 5 of 28
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

A family member of mine has a similar CC like the one pictured above (by Andy) with the EMV chip, except hers is a Forward Signature Visa (rarely see any of them around).  Thus, as valid confirmation from the above, it is POSSIBLE.  Now, as far as why they are experiencing any difficulties with issuing you a similar Forward EMV does seem like an anomaly for sure.  Maybe they ran out of EMV chips on that particular day.

Oh, I'm sure it was just lack of knowledge by the CSR (as they claim to have shipped the card the same day anyway).  I was just a little annoyed that they would bother to give an incorrect answer (Forward cannot get EMV) without checking.  But I guess that is hardly unusual, and my company (Fortune 50 telecom) is certainly accused of doing the same, reps saying whatever is needed to make the call go away!

Message 6 of 28
jsucool76
Super Contributor

I was also told via secure message you can't have an emv forward, but, alas, there is an option for it on the card replacement form.
Message 7 of 28
rex_03
Contributor

check the option and see if it comes with a chip.. 

Message 8 of 28
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@rex_03 wrote:

check the option and see if it comes with a chip.. 

I did yesterday. i read a post where someone requested EMV and was given a visa siggy with EMV when it arrivved, so I figured I'd try Smiley Tongue 

Message 9 of 28
SnowBowl
Frequent Contributor

nice looking card, I dont see it on Citi site.. only forward card I see is student kinds and it looks nothing like yours.  give me a link if you have one..

on this date 1-22-24 all 3 bureaus are currently frozen until 1-22-26
VantageScore 3.0 EQ 753
Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.