Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Diamond Preferred

tag
Vegas247
Established Contributor

Citi Diamond Preferred

I checked my mail today and Citi sent me an offer to apply for a Citi Diamond Preferred with an invitation number. Does that mean I am pretty much approved? 0% on balance transfers and purchases for the 1st 12 months. Is this card any good compared to the cards in my signature?

$600 Barclaycard® Rewards MasterCard® - Average Credit $6500 Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express $30k credit card16k Chase Freedom® - $200 Bonus12k VSiggy
Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
Shock
Established Contributor

Re: Citi Diamond Preferred

Don't do it. Lol. It's primarily a BT card and youll need to wait a year before you can PC. No rewards structure. Only rewards is Citi Easy Deals and thats like coupons. Not worth it. I'd compare it to your Wells Fargo card because of the no rewards...I got aproved for 500 bucks and took another HP denial and recon to 3k upon getting the card. They hooked me up with my first non toy limit. If you want to establish a relationship with them and PC to another card I say go for it. But their cards are also ncomparable to those like Chase, AMEX etc.

I'm virtually stuck in what to do with my DP. It used to be my "big ticket" card until my Quicksilver bumped to 3k. Now with my AMEX, both are useless lol.

Bottom line is, I will probably PC, but well see.

photo myfico_zpsd00088cb.jpg
Message 2 of 27
celluloid17
Established Contributor

@Shock wrote:

Don't do it. Lol. It's primarily a BT card and youll need to wait a year before you can PC. No rewards structure. Only rewards is Citi Easy Deals and thats like coupons. Not worth it. I'd compare it to your Wells Fargo card because of the no rewards...I got aproved for 500 bucks and took another HP denial and recon to 3k upon getting the card. They hooked me up with my first non toy limit. If you want to establish a relationship with them and PC to another card I say go for it. But their cards are also ncomparable to those like Chase, AMEX etc.

I'm virtually stuck in what to do with my DP. It used to be my "big ticket" card until my Quicksilver bumped to 3k. Now with my AMEX, both are useless lol.

Bottom line is, I will probably PC, but well see.

I'm in the same boat as you.  I'm probably going to close mine.  Which Citi card do you think might PC too?

Vegas247, are you in need of a BT card?  If not, I wouldn't opt for the Citi DP card.  Like Shock mentioned, the reward structure (Citi Easy Deals) is neither compelling or all that useful.  

Message 3 of 27
johnpalley
Established Contributor

what if you dont care about rewards and want a card with a low apr? could you get high limits like with the thank you prefered?

Message 4 of 27
Stralem
Established Contributor

The card isn't that great. I got it for the balance transfer option, but they pulled a funny and gave me a useless limit.

I have no use for their concierge service, nor are their Citi Deals appealing. Aside from padding my utility (though not by much), it's... useless.

I used it twice, paid in full, then exiled it to the sock drawer.

I Have Way Too Many of These.

American Express - No CLI or Appreciation Gift in 7 Years

Citibank - Handing Out Credit Limits Like Candy

Chase - Surprisingly, Still Tolerating My Credit-Chasing Ways

Bank of America - My Newest Bae.

Everyone Else.
Message 5 of 27
johnpalley
Established Contributor

@Stralem wrote:

The card isn't that great. I got it for the balance transfer option, but they pulled a funny and gave me a useless limit.

I have no use for their concierge service, nor are their Citi Deals appealing. Aside from padding my utility (though not by much), it's... useless.

so you would say it doesnt offer limits as high as some of there other cards?

Message 6 of 27
celluloid17
Established Contributor

@johnpalley wrote:

what if you dont care about rewards and want a card with a low apr? could you get high limits like with the thank you prefered?

I think the high limit thing is a YMMV situation.  For me, it's my lowest limit credit card.  Now that I haven't used it in awhile, I'm being given the option to increase my CL, but it's almost too little too late.  I have virtually no use for the card now.  

I will say, it did serve me well when I needed a BT card, but I still preferred my Chase Slate card more for that purpose, which offered me a higher CL and a lower APR.  

Message 7 of 27
Stralem
Established Contributor

@johnpalley wrote:

@Stralem wrote:

Well... Like most cards that aren't obviously geared towards those with lousy credit, it has the potential to reach high limits. There are people here on this forum with Diamond Preferred cards with $5000+ lines. But will it start out with a high limit? I couldn't say because that will depend on your credit profile.

I Have Way Too Many of These.

American Express - No CLI or Appreciation Gift in 7 Years

Citibank - Handing Out Credit Limits Like Candy

Chase - Surprisingly, Still Tolerating My Credit-Chasing Ways

Bank of America - My Newest Bae.

Everyone Else.
Message 8 of 27
johnpalley
Established Contributor

@Stralem wrote:

@johnpalley wrote:

@Stralem wrote:

Well... Like most cards that aren't obviously geared towards those with lousy credit, it has the potential to reach high limits. There are people here on this forum with Diamond Preferred cards with $5000+ lines. But will it start out with a high limit? I couldn't say because that will depend on your credit profile.

got it. they keep sending me offers for the simplicity and diamond prefered card but i want a real high limit. im thinkin about just applying for the thank you card instead.  it sucks cause it seems all the cards with higher limits have a higher apr because of the rewards. i wish the industry didnt operate like that

Message 9 of 27
axledobe
Frequent Contributor

John - I would go to Citi's website and check for prequalified offers.   Select rewards or whatever category you think will make the ThankYou pop up.  Once it does and you see a specific interest rate offered and the opt out prescreen message (just like on the bottom of your letter), I think you're good to go.  That will be your 'on the fly' reference number.  You'll just click the "reply now", "respond now", "take offer" or however they word it.  

I can vouch that they did a SP every single time I used their prequal link on EQ.  When I applied, they only pulled EQ yet SP'ed EX at the same time.  I had never heard of a lender doing a HP on one bureau and SP'ing another for an approval.  

As far as credit limit, they blew it out of the box for me with 9.5K which beat my highest limit by quite a bit.  I did apply with 800+ on EQ, though.

Good luck if you app.  Let us know how it goes.  

Edited: spelling

FICO SCORES: TU 769; EX 790; EQ 790 ***Gardening indefinitely***

Message 10 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.