Citi Diamond secured - seeking datapoints

tag
sjt
Senior Contributor

Re: Citi secured graduation data points

@KJinNC wrote:

@sjt wrote:

@KJinNC wrote:
Thanks - it is also my oldest card by a small margin (weeks), but stories like yours make me wonder if I would get a DC faster by closing mine and applying for a DC next year.

Congrats on graduation, though!

Citi starts reviewing accounts for unsecured status at the 11 month mark. Just pay on-time and you should graduate in under 18 months

I hope so, but, really can't tell from the anecdotes I have seen so far. PNW, for example, said that he/she always PIF and it took two and a half years. However, PNW apparently did make minimal use of the card. That one anecdote might indicate that Citi rewards use of the card (and punishes lack of use of the card). But I don't feel like we have enough information yet to have confidence in any theories like that.

Again, for anyone who had a Citi card that took more than the stated 18 months to graduate, can you post if you have a guess of why it may have taken longer? Or, if you think you did everything right and it still took extra time to graduate? (Maybe Citi doesn't run a tight process for this?) Those who had cards graduate much earlier than 18 months, can you post if you have a guess of why it went faster? Thanks!

Another factor is the credit profile. If the cardholder had any recent lates and/or high utilization that could be a factor for delayed conversion.

I would just let your cards age and wait for the Citi to convert. In 6 months to a 1 year you will have a nice bump in score and credit offers with high SL and low APR will be coming your way.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 11 of 23
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

Re: Citi secured graduation data points

Thanks, I probably will just wait it out, at least for around a year. I don't think I'd get great cards sooner than a year anyway. But, I don't know if I'll wait the full 18 months, because I think I probably could get a Paypal MC or Citi DC by this time next year.

I appreciate Citi for having a secured card at all, and in my particular case, I appreciate that they were the first card I got approved for this time around. And, at least they do graduate at some point, unlike some secured cards. On the other hand, 18 months is longer than any other secured card that graduates that I can think of, let alone the 30 months that some people are reporting, and I think they need to allow you to add to your deposit, particularly if you're going to have to wait 18 months or even longer.

That said, this thread is intended to collect datapoints for the community's overall info, not just mine. (Usually when I create a thread here, I have in mind somebody finding it in months or years down the road because they have the same question.) Delaying the already-lengthy 18-month graduation to 30 months seems to me like something that would only make sense if the person had several lates or declared bankruptcy in the meantime or otherwise had some serious risk issues, and, none of the anecdotes I've seen have indicated anything like that. Again, PNW said that his/her scores had improved and he/she had multiple unsecured cards, so the only "negative" data I'm aware of in that particular example is limited use of the Citi card. It would be good if the community knew (for example) that rarely using the card will delay graduation, but as of now, I don't think we can make any statements at all with confidence regarding what leads to an 11-month graduation vs a 30-month graduation. Hence this thread Smiley Happy

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan
Message 12 of 23
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

Re: Citi secured card FINALLY graduated

Not sure if this should be a new thread or not, but, once the Citi secured card graduates into a Citi Diamond Preferred, what can you PC it to? For example, could you easily PC it to a Prestige, or would that require a separate approval process?

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Message 13 of 23
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@KJinNC wrote:

Not sure if this should be a new thread or not, but, once the Citi secured card graduates into a Citi Diamond Preferred, what can you PC it to? For example, could you easily PC it to a Prestige, or would that require a separate approval process?

@KJinNC

Since you presently have an active thread gathering DPs associated with the graduation of your Citi secured card, the above post was merged with the existing topic at hand to avoid threadjacking. 

Message 14 of 23
sjt
Senior Contributor

@KJinNC wrote:

Daily Cash or Rewards. I think you can also product change to other Citi products as long as your CL meets those product requirements. 

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 15 of 23
Camps
Valued Member

Hello all, I also have the Citi Secured Card. My "graduation" date is 6/3/20, so I will be sure to post if and/or when anything changes with it.

Message 16 of 23
Bojack
Valued Member

Re: Citi Diamond secured - seeking datapoints

FYI I received my graduation letter today, exactly 9 months from when I opened the card. I put 5.00 on the card every month and only reported a balance once.
Message 17 of 23
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

@Bojack wrote:
FYI I received my graduation letter today, exactly 9 months from when I opened the card. I put 5.00 on the card every month and only reported a balance once.

I gave up on the card due to the uncertainty, but I still find it academically interesting. Nine months is the earliest graduation I've heard so far for this card. Would you mind saying what your profile is like - scores, AoOA, AAoA, AoYA, inquiries, other cards/CLs, anything else that might be of interest? Congrats on the graduation! Makes me wish I'd kept the card. I'd be at nine months now.

Message 18 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

This card had me wondering if it was going away, due to constant PC offers to Rewards+ and then DC for several months. 

Also heard rumors of it being discontinued, so...

Guess I cross that bridge if it ever happens.

Message 19 of 23
sjt
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

This card had me wondering if it was going away, due to constant PC offers to Rewards+ and then DC for several months. 

Also heard rumors of it being discontinued, so...

Guess I cross that bridge if it ever happens.

Were these PC offers while the card was still secured?

Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.