Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Diamond switch to Double Cash offer 8/2017

tag
merlinflex
Frequent Contributor

Citi Diamond switch to Double Cash offer 8/2017

Just rec'd an offer in the mail from Citi Cards to switch from my Citi Diamond Preferred to the Citi Double Cash.

Anyone else receive the same offer? Looks like a decent offer. I don't use the card that much. I have a $15.7K CL and only about $753.00 balance on it right now. 

Says no credit check required and I am pre-selected and approved and no application required, just login to the URL and input the invite code and that's it.

Anyone know if they are doing away with the Citi Diamond or what they deal is surrounding the offer?

IMG_20170801_1127361.jpg

IMG_20170801_1127458.jpg

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

Re: Citi Diamond switch to Double Cash offer 8/2017

That is interesting.

Considering the similarities between the Simplicity and DP (both no rewards, BT style cards), I wouldn't be surprised if they did away with one of them.

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Interesting, just yesterday I got an offer to switch my Citi Dividend card to a Citi ThankYou card. I'm on the fence, because both cards are equally useless to me.

What kind of amuzes me is that it's presented as some kind of special offer, with an invitation code and everything. My question is, couldn't I just call up customer service any time I wanted to and convert to any other card I wanted?

I've done that countless times with many issuers, including Citi, and have never been turned down. In fact, that's how I ended up with the Dividend card; I had a ThankYou card, called and switched it to a Dividend card. Now, sure, I suppose if you're trying to switch to or from a cobranded card or something, often that's not allowed.

But from just one standard card to another, why would there ever be a need for a "special invitation" and a enrollment code?

Chris.

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Interesting, just yesterday I got an offer to switch my Citi Dividend card to a Citi ThankYou card. I'm on the fence, because both cards are equally useless to me.

What kind of amuzes me is that it's presented as some kind of special offer, with an invitation code and everything. My question is, couldn't I just call up customer service any time I wanted to and convert to any other card I wanted?

I've done that countless times with many issuers, including Citi, and have never been turned down. In fact, that's how I ended up with the Dividend card; I had a ThankYou card, called and switched it to a Dividend card. Now, sure, I suppose if you're trying to switch to or from a cobranded card or something, often that's not allowed.

But from just one standard card to another, why would there ever be a need for a "special invitation" and a enrollment code?

Chris.

Cobranded switching is allowed at least for the AA card. 

Message 4 of 10
UncleB
Credit Mentor

I got the Diamond Preferred with the intent to later change it to a Double Cash, but if the Citi Deals continue to be good I'll probably just leave it as a Diamond Preferred.

The deals right now are actually pretty good, and I already have several 2% cards (or better) anyway.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/citi-easy-deals-100-giftcards-90-amazon-walmart-target-lowes-home-dep...

Message 5 of 10
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

My wife used to get 2 of those a week early in 2016 until she finally switched.  Citi is the only one in my experience that has solicited product changes (that aren't upgrades to a higher AF card) on a voluntary basis.  Oddly when she changed it none of the codes would actually work and we tried a big stack of them.  Ended up having to call in to do it but it was relatively painless.  Then a matter of months later I ended up opening my own Diamond Preferred.

Message 6 of 10
merlinflex
Frequent Contributor

So now I am on the fence as to whether I should make the switch over or not. I don't really use the Diamond card that much. I have a Citi AA WMC elite that I use more for miles, etc. I probably would use the DC more that the Diamond, but then again I have the Cap1 Venture and the PenFed PowerRewards Visa both which do the 2% back as well as the Amex BCP. So not really sure I need another 2% cash back card. But then again, I am not really using the Diamond either. I really wanted to move that $15.7K CL over to my Citi AA WMC but was told I could not twice already. Smiley Sad  So I guess I can just stay put where I am unless they offer my something else to move over, like a big CLI or a APR reduction.

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@merlinflex wrote:

Just rec'd an offer in the mail from Citi Cards to switch from my Citi Diamond Preferred to the Citi Double Cash.

Anyone else receive the same offer? Looks like a decent offer. I don't use the card that much. I have a $15.7K CL and only about $753.00 balance on it right now. 

Says no credit check required and I am pre-selected and approved and no application required, just login to the URL and input the invite code and that's it.

Anyone know if they are doing away with the Citi Diamond or what they deal is surrounding the offer?

IMG_20170801_1127361.jpg

IMG_20170801_1127458.jpg

Citi is known to either force or offer a PC to cardholders. They especially like to target those that do not use their current cards. It is their way of offering(forcing) you a better card or one that they feel might get you to use the card more often. I worked with a lady that had a Diamond Preferred card and they forced her into a Thankyou card. My Platinum Select was forced into a Diamond Preferred a few years ago-but that was because they did away with the old Platinum Select card. 

I don't think the Diamond Preferred is going anywhere, just an offer to a reward card. Could be a good way to get a cash back card without the HP for a new account.

Message 8 of 10
merlinflex
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@merlinflex wrote:

IMG_20170801_1127361.jpg

IMG_20170801_1127458.jpg

Citi is known to either force or offer a PC to cardholders. They especially like to target those that do not use their current cards. It is their way of offering(forcing) you a better card or one that they feel might get you to use the card more often. I worked with a lady that had a Diamond Preferred card and they forced her into a Thankyou card. My Platinum Select was forced into a Diamond Preferred a few years ago-but that was because they did away with the old Platinum Select card. 

I don't think the Diamond Preferred is going anywhere, just an offer to a reward card. Could be a good way to get a cash back card without the HP for a new account.

Ok, makes sense. Wonder if I called them and inquired and played dumbed if I could parlay that into a APR reduction and/or a CLI as well to move over to the DC!?

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@merlinflex wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@merlinflex wrote:

IMG_20170801_1127361.jpg

IMG_20170801_1127458.jpg

Ok, makes sense. Wonder if I called them and inquired and played dumbed if I could parlay that into a APR reduction and/or a CLI as well to move over to the DC!?

I don't see why not. As long as you don't have a current into APR you can always ask Citi for a an APR reduction and CLI. I would suggest doing the CLI online but you really can ask them at any time. There are several threads here about people having success at lowering their APRs with Citi. I am not one of them though LOL. They refuse.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.