cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi, Discover or JetBlue as a good 2nd CC?

tag
marcforza1
Frequent Contributor

Citi, Discover or JetBlue as a good 2nd CC?

Deciding on getting a 2nd card getting approved recent for a Chase FU card last week. Even though CK has my scores ranging between 689-705, I now realized that my FICO 8 scores are really what these lenders look at. Only active account I have is a Chase Freedom card as a AU on my wife's card with a 46% utilization due to a BT. I have no other debts, no late payments in the last 18 months, one flagged collection that was paid off in Oct. 2016 and only one inquiry (which was for the FU card). Here's what I'm interesting in since I'm not too worried about bonus or perks. This would be for dining out every other week or hotel stays during the summer, but mainly to increase my credit score when I make payments.

 

Citi Simplicity, Discover IT, JetBlue Card, Barclaycard CashForward, Citi Thank You Preferred

 

So which card would likely be the easier route to get approved for? Even if I need to wait a few months to increase my score once I start making payments with the FU, I am fine with that.

 

 

 


FICO 8 Scores 12/2017: EX-596; TU-604; EQ-591
Current: EX-648; TU-665; EQ-678
AAoA: 4.4 yrs
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Citi, Discover or JetBlue as a good 2nd CC?

I don't know much about the Citi cards, but out of the others Discover would be my top, then JetBlue. I would think with your scores you shouldn't have any problem getting either. Which one to app for probably depends on which would be the most useful to you.
Message 2 of 12
marcforza1
Frequent Contributor

Re: Citi, Discover or JetBlue as a good 2nd CC?


@Anonymous wrote:
I don't know much about the Citi cards, but out of the others Discover would be my top, then JetBlue. I would think with your scores you shouldn't have any problem getting either. Which one to app for probably depends on which would be the most useful to you.

Discover IT was what I was leaning toward but I've read good things about JetBlue even though I don't fly and the flight rewards won't do me any good. I did prequaifiy for the CSP card but even the banker at Chase didn't recommend that card because of the annual fee after the 12 months. I did look at the AMEX Everyday cards but I'm guessing that I'll need a credit score well above 700 to come remotely close to getting one.


FICO 8 Scores 12/2017: EX-596; TU-604; EQ-591
Current: EX-648; TU-665; EQ-678
AAoA: 4.4 yrs
Message 3 of 12
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Citi, Discover or JetBlue as a good 2nd CC?


@marcforza1 wrote:

Deciding on getting a 2nd card getting approved recent for a Chase FU card last week. Even though CK has my scores ranging between 689-705, I now realized that my FICO 8 scores are really what these lenders look at. Only active account I have is a Chase Freedom card as a AU on my wife's card with a 46% utilization due to a BT. I have no other debts, no late payments in the last 18 months, one flagged collection that was paid off in Oct. 2016 and only one inquiry (which was for the FU card). Here's what I'm interesting in since I'm not too worried about bonus or perks. This would be for dining out every other week or hotel stays during the summer, but mainly to increase my credit score when I make payments.

 

Citi Simplicity, Discover IT, JetBlue Card, Barclaycard CashForward, Citi Thank You Preferred

 

So which card would likely be the easier route to get approved for? Even if I need to wait a few months to increase my score once I start making payments with the FU, I am fine with that.

 

 

 


Forget the 2 Citi cards you mentioned, if you were going with Citi you should go with the Double Cash.

 

JetBlue is excellent if you have occasions to use JetBlue, otherwise not.

 

The Barclay Cash Forward is good.

 

The Discover IT is ok but some places don't accept Discover.


Total revolving limits 657200 (536700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 712 TU 710 EX 708

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Citi, Discover or JetBlue as a good 2nd CC?

Since you don't fly, the JetBlue card wouldn't be the best. I've never had the Cash Forward, but I am a Barclays fan and the way they administer the points and the redemption process is very good, IMO.
Message 5 of 12
marcforza1
Frequent Contributor

Re: Citi, Discover or JetBlue as a good 2nd CC?


@Anonymous wrote:
Since you don't fly, the JetBlue card wouldn't be the best. I've never had the Cash Forward, but I am a Barclays fan and the way they administer the points and the redemption process is very good, IMO.

Well, since I don't fly I'll eliminate the JetBlue as well as the two Citi cards that I mentioned from my list. I would definitely go for the CSP card if not for that annual fee (and I'm not a big spender). But I'll keep the Discover IT, DC, Barclays and possibly the AMEX cards on my wishlist for the upcoming weeks and months till my score and credit history looks favorable.


FICO 8 Scores 12/2017: EX-596; TU-604; EQ-591
Current: EX-648; TU-665; EQ-678
AAoA: 4.4 yrs
Message 6 of 12
dragontears
Senior Contributor

Re: Citi, Discover or JetBlue as a good 2nd CC?

You said you wanted a card for dining out but none on your list is really specific for dining (except the one quarter discover has dining). Have you considered cards with dining rewards such as chase AARP or marvel? Sam's club card also is good for dining but only makes sense if you are already a member
Message 7 of 12
marcforza1
Frequent Contributor

Re: Citi, Discover or JetBlue as a good 2nd CC?


@dragontears wrote:
You said you wanted a card for dining out but none on your list is really specific for dining (except the one quarter discover has dining). Have you considered cards with dining rewards such as chase AARP or marvel? Sam's club card also is good for dining but only makes sense if you are already a member

Yes. I remember looking at the AARP card last week while I was at the bank. I wanted to see the other option outside of Chase. 


FICO 8 Scores 12/2017: EX-596; TU-604; EQ-591
Current: EX-648; TU-665; EQ-678
AAoA: 4.4 yrs
Message 8 of 12
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

Re: Citi, Discover or JetBlue as a good 2nd CC?

The first thing I would do is go get your EX Fico 8 from Discover Scorecard and figure out what your real score is instead of guesstimating from CK.

 

Depending on where it falls you should qualify for Disco and AMEX.  Amex has 2 flavors of rewards points or cash.  ED/EDP = points BCE/BCP = cash  

 

https://www.creditscorecard.com/registration

Message 9 of 12
marcforza1
Frequent Contributor

Re: Citi, Discover or JetBlue as a good 2nd CC?


@austinguy907 wrote:

The first thing I would do is go get your EX Fico 8 from Discover Scorecard and figure out what your real score is instead of guesstimating from CK.

 

Depending on where it falls you should qualify for Disco and AMEX.  Amex has 2 flavors of rewards points or cash.  ED/EDP = points BCE/BCP = cash  

 

https://www.creditscorecard.com/registration


I already looked up my FICO 8 score through this site as well as CCT. It's updated on my signature on the bottom. Discover is having issues with their scorecard for awhile so right now I can't even fully create an account through them.


FICO 8 Scores 12/2017: EX-596; TU-604; EQ-591
Current: EX-648; TU-665; EQ-678
AAoA: 4.4 yrs
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.