Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Double Cash CLD, then restored...

tag
tcbofade
Super Contributor

Citi Double Cash CLD, then restored...

DW opened a Citi Double Cash card August of 2019 ish.

Used it for the 18 month balance transfer offer.

Started out with an $8k line, got an increase to $10k at some point.

Used every bit of the 18 months, paid it off early 2021.

...and now we can use it as a 2% grocery card, right?

Wrong.

Over the course of March 2021, she purchased a bit more than $600 worth of groceries.  Statement cut with $623 balance on a $10k line.

...they promptly CLD'd her to a $640 credit line.  Smiley Indifferent

...and no, there was nothing new or scary on her credit report.  No maxed out cards, no late payments ever...

I wrote them a letter two weeks ago... essentially expressing our frustration and explaining that we had no use for a $640 limit credit card from Citi and that we expected better.  They could restore her credit line, or close the account and we're good either way.

Got the email today, credit line restored.

Now, can she use it to get groceries in May???

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Citi Double Cash CLD, then restored...

Even restored, im not sure id put much faith in that not happening again. How the fico you gonna buy all the 🌮  for us at Christmas on $640 ?😁

Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did they explain what happened?  Im surprised you weren't on the phone with them the day it happened, instead of writing a letter.

Sounds like someone might have inadvertently clicked the "balance chase" button on her account or something.

With nothing bad on her reports and no risky looking activity (carrying high balances etc.) there should be no reason for a CLD like that.  So maybe they realized they made a mistake and fixed it.

Message 3 of 16
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Congratulations on DW credit limit reinstatement. Thank you for sharing the data points.
Message 4 of 16
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Senior Contributor

@tcbofade wrote:

DW opened a Citi Double Cash card August of 2019 ish.

Used it for the 18 month balance transfer offer.

Started out with an $8k line, got an increase to $10k at some point.

Used every bit of the 18 months, paid it off early 2021.

...and now we can use it as a 2% grocery card, right?

Wrong.

Over the course of March 2021, she purchased a bit more than $600 worth of groceries.  Statement cut with $623 balance on a $10k line.

...they promptly CLD'd her to a $640 credit line.  Smiley Indifferent

...and no, there was nothing new or scary on her credit report.  No maxed out cards, no late payments ever...

I wrote them a letter two weeks ago... essentially expressing our frustration and explaining that we had no use for a $640 limit credit card from Citi and that we expected better.  They could restore her credit line, or close the account and we're good either way.

Got the email today, credit line restored.

Now, can she use it to get groceries in May???

That seemed pretty weak of them to do. I'm glad your disappointment letter showed them the error of their ways. 👍

NFCU More Rewards 28K CL
NFCU Cash Rewards 16K CL
Citi Custom Cash 7.5K CL
AODFCU Visa Sig 5K CL
Discover IT 2.5K CL
Capital One QS 3600 CL
Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow that's a crazy CLD given how much debt you both have paid off! Glad that you got it restored!

Message 6 of 16
tcbofade
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Did they explain what happened?  Im surprised you weren't on the phone with them the day it happened, instead of writing a letter.

Their CLD letter only stated that they had reviewed her Equifax report and decided to lower her limit.

Of course, we checked her Equifax report and saw nothing new or scary on it...  No new accounts or inquiries since September of 2020.  No maxed out accounts.  No lates, no derogs.

My only thought is that she had previously used the card only for a balance transfer, not actual transactions...  maybe that change in use spooked them?

That's the best that I can come up with. 

I'm glad that they fixed it tho.  Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 16
tcbofade
Super Contributor

Meanwhile, her Simplicity card sits with a $15k CL and zero balance... it was not affected.

Her Diamond Preferred card HAD a $3k CL and zero balance, and they gave her a $500 auto CLI somewhere in the last week. 

Message 8 of 16
Credit-hoarder
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Sounds like someone might have inadvertently clicked the "balance chase" button on her account or something.

With nothing bad on her reports and no risky looking activity (carrying high balances etc.) there should be no reason for a CLD like that.  So maybe they realized they made a mistake and fixed it.

This would be my best guess also if there were no drastic negative changes in her credit report--just a bad mistake.

BUSINESS
Rewards Pts.-Miles: UR-MR-TYP-Venture
Message 9 of 16
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@tcbofade wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Their CLD letter only stated that they had reviewed her Equifax report and decided to lower her limit.

Of course, we checked her Equifax report and saw nothing new or scary on it...  No new accounts or inquiries since September of 2020.  No maxed out accounts.  No lates, no derogs.

My only thought is that she had previously used the card only for a balance transfer, not actual transactions...  maybe that change in use spooked them?

That's the best that I can come up with. 

I'm glad that they fixed it tho.  Smiley Happy

I think you're probably right about that. I've had 3 cases of adverse action, and each appeared to have been in connection with my using a card for balance transfers and not for purchases.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.