cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Double Cash Card World Elite Mastercard!?!

tag
Medic981
Valued Contributor

Citi Double Cash Card World Elite Mastercard!?!

So at the end of my last successful app spree, and before I committed myself to the garden, I applied for a Citi Double Cash Back CC. I was super pumped when I was given a $5000 SL after verifying my identity. 

Today, I received my blue and green envelope with my beautiful CC in it. It has 15.24% APR and to my surprise, it is a World Elite Mastercard. Nothing indicated that I was applying for a WEMC at the time. My question is are all Double Cash Back CC WEMC and if not, what determines WEMC status?

Your FICO credit scores are not just numbers, it’s a skill.
Message 1 of 32
31 REPLIES 31
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: Citi Double Cash Card World Elite Mastercard!?!

I don’t think all of them are but the majority are. Usually that’s a $5,000+ CL but not always. Important to note that Double Cash is often not treated as a true WEMC if you try to do certain things through the MC portal. (Similar to how CSR is not recognized as a true Visa Infinite card.)
Message 2 of 32
Medic981
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the reply. This is the first time I have achieved "elite" status before. I am not even sure what WEMC status gets me. I will have to do more research online. 

Message 3 of 32
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Medic981 wrote:

Thanks for the reply. This is the first time I have achieved "elite" status before. I am not even sure what WEMC status gets me. I will have to do more research online. 

More sizzle than steak.

It's a lot cheaper to market a luxury image than it is to provide benefits of real value. A lot of the services are for an extra fee or come with some catch. "Discounts" from the card can usually be found elsewhere.

Citi DC has some pretty good benefits for a no-AF card, but they come from Citi and not WEMC.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 4 of 32
Medic981
Valued Contributor

Who issues cards with "real" WEMC benefits?

Message 5 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

+1 on the benefits. The card does have good benefits for no annual fee card! Trip cancellation (but not delay as far as I know), price protection, and purchase protections.
Message 6 of 32
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

@Medic981 wrote:

Who issues cards with "real" WEMC benefits?

What benefits do you consider to be "real" WEMC benefits?  The sad truth is that WEMC, like Visa Signature, is mostly a status symbol.  When a bank enters into an agreement with Visa or MasterCard to offer a new card, the bank picks from a menu of "benefits" and pays the network accordingly.  The bank can also add some of their own benefits to the card.  These tend to be the real ones.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 7 of 32
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

WMC, WEMC, VS, and VI also tend to have higher Interchange swipe fees.
Message 8 of 32
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

I wonder if those approved for a $500 DC celebrate getting an Elite MastercardSmiley Wink
Message 9 of 32
Medic981
Valued Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
I wonder if those approved for a $500 DC celebrate getting an Elite MastercardSmiley Wink

Uh hum... That is World Elite Mastercard... Thank you Very Much. LOL

Message 10 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.