Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Double Cash World Elite Version

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Citi DC "world elite" upgrade

Congratulations on your upgrade! From my understanding of WorldElite cards, you get some nice Travel and Leisure benefits that otherwise wouldn't be offered with a regular MC. Enjoy! 👍

Message 51 of 64
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Check your T&C for the card.  Most World Elite benefits have a loophole that allow issuers to specify conditions and exclusions.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 52 of 64
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@coreysw12 wrote:

My "World" DC card was due to expire in a few months, so Citi sent me a new one. The new one is a "World Elite". I did some searching and couldn't find very good information about what this change entails. Lots of people said "nothing", while some other people said there were loads of benefits.

I Did just sign up for the mastercard website and entered my card #, and it said I was eligible for "Travel and Leisure benefits". I submitted a request for the National car rental benefits (which includes complimentary Emerald Executive status & 25% off car rentals), and it said my request was submitted and someone will get in touch with me about it within 24 hours.

Anyone else used MC World Elite benefits with this card? The National Emerald Exec and discount bonus is HUUUUGE for me, since I rent with them several times a year. But I'm wondering what other great deals I might not know about.

I'm one of those who would say "nothing" (or nearly nothing) as far as benefits are concerned.   While there may be discounts (as others have said, depending on whether Citi really offers this) they are often somewhat restrictive and frequently equivalent or better discounts are available anyway.   Remember that WEMC and Visa Sig cards are now VERY common, and so really worthwhile discounts to a large class is unlikely.

That's not to say that an individual might not get some value.   For those WEMC cards (not Citi DC) that offer cell phone insurance, that can be quite valuable compared to paying for it through a carrier or other insurer

Message 53 of 64
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@longtimelurker  who offers cell phone insurance now? 

Message 54 of 64
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

@longtimelurker  who offers cell phone insurance now? 

Among other WEMC, REI (us bank) has $800 per incident.  My citizens bank wmc has $600. 

Message 55 of 64
FICOnoob2020
Valued Member

I don't have much to add other than my Citi DC was opened in September, 2019, and is also marked as World Elite.

Message 56 of 64
coreysw12
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

I'm one of those who would say "nothing" (or nearly nothing) as far as benefits are concerned.   While there may be discounts (as others have said, depending on whether Citi really offers this) they are often somewhat restrictive and frequently equivalent or better discounts are available anyway.   Remember that WEMC and Visa Sig cards are now VERY common, and so really worthwhile discounts to a large class is unlikely.

That's not to say that an individual might not get some value.   For those WEMC cards (not Citi DC) that offer cell phone insurance, that can be quite valuable compared to paying for it through a carrier or other insurer

Well the National Rental Car perk seems pretty good, it's only a 1-year "trial" membership with Emerald Executive status, after 1 year I go back to plain-old vanilla Emerald Club. But the great thing about that for me is that it buys me some time to upgrade my CSP to a CSR, which offers Emerald Executive for as long as I have that card. I won't be an as big of a rush to get the CSR if I have Exec status with my WEMC through february 2021. I have no idea how the "up to 25% off" discount works yet. I'm guessing they'll give me a coupon code to use during booking on the National website or something. Seeing as I have a $600 rental coming up this summer, I can hopefully cancel that and re-book it with a discount and an Executive upgrade!

Other than that, I agree with you, I'm not really seeing any other perks that interest me.

Total Loan Balance: $43k / $65k

Total SL: $78k

United 1K - 725,000 lifetime flight miles    |    Chase Status: 4/24
Message 57 of 64
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Congratulations on your upgrade!
Message 58 of 64
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

There were certainly some travel benefits that most people would never take advantage of with WEMC.  As with Visa Signature and Visa Infinite cards, the card issuers often prefer to issue these higher tier cards because the Interchange fees are higher than lower-tier rewards cards.  There have been a few recent additions that might provide some value to those not booking luxury hotels:

https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/consumers/find-card-products/credit-cards/world-elite.html

Lyft, boxed.com, Fandango, and Postmates offers can certainly provide some value to the average consumer.

Message 59 of 64
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

There were certainly some travel benefits that most people would never take advantage of with WEMC.  As with Visa Signature and Visa Infinite cards, the card issuers often prefer to issue these higher tier cards because the Interchange fees are higher than lower-tier rewards cards.  There have been a few recent additions that might provide some value to those not booking luxury hotels:

https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/consumers/find-card-products/credit-cards/world-elite.html

Lyft, boxed.com, Fandango, and Postmates offers can certainly provide some value to the average consumer.

With the Postmates discount under the old fee structure it was possible to tip reasonably and still get food delivered for less than the in-restaurant price. Under the new (as of mid December?) structure $5 off $25 won't make much of a dent in the fees. But if someone really wants restaurant X, needs delivery, and the restaurant doesn't offer it directly then might as well get $5 off.

I haven't checked for a while, but as of around May DC didn't offer phone coverage or the Postmates $5.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 60 of 64
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.