Citi Double Cash closed

tag
Zeno
Contributor

Re: Citi Double Cash closed

@M_Smart007 wrote:

@Aim_High wrote:

@Credit12Fico wrote:

Uggh sorry to hear this. This is why i absolutely despise Auto-pay. And Citi's IT is known to be buggy.

Sorry to hear of the issues, @Zeno

Unfortunately, even "honest mistakes" can be used against us as consumers.  Smiley Sad 

I had a 30-day late for many years due to similar "honest misunderstanding."

I don't despise Auto-pay and I think it's a great tool!  However, I only have it set for a "backup" on most of my accounts.  I usually make at least one manual payment before the due date.  Most of my lenders only charge the auto-pay minimum payment if I haven't made a payment by then.  (There are a few that have charged me the minimum even after I paid manually, but that is the exception.)

@Aim_High, I pretty much do the same thing .. have auto-pay set up and then manually pay.

Sometimes I am left with a credit. Some people use push payments.

Use US Bank with (2) forms of overdraft protection. (would hate to have a returned payment)

I have most set that the due dates are between the 24th-28th and just go through all of them.

That's the thing as well even though I turned autopay off and the rep couldn't explain why the system would try to charge it again. I also have overdraft protection and when the Citi rep told me that even if account number was entered wrong or wrong information it would not say insufficient funds and I told her it would if the account is no longer working.I called my bank to ask and they told me that yes it would say that or show declined. Citi also gave me credit as well before closing account. 

Ex:717 EQ: 734 TU: 721
Message 11 of 28
sxa001
Valued Contributor

I do wish the OP luck in working with Citi to sort out the account.  I would highly suggest that anyone doing auto-pay for any accounts double check and make sure the accounts got paid within a few days of he expected due-date.  I suggest a spreadsheet showing all due dates.  There are tools out there that bring everything in one dashboard to remove the manual processes but I have no experience with those.  Auto pay glitches can and do happen, I had one with my rent payment a few years ago, the faster you respond to an issue the more likely the issue will be resolved without any additional fees or issues. 

Message 12 of 28
FlaDude
Established Contributor

@Zeno wrote:

I turned autopay off once i realized the mistake and citi's system still attempted to charge again. 

According to what I was told by a Citi rep, they will attempt a failed payment three times. Supposedly once the first payment fails, there is nothing that can stop it being attempted two more times, according to the supervisor I was transferred to.

Scores: March 21 FICO 8: EX 810, TU 808, EQ 813
AoOA: closed: 36 years, open: 25 years; AAoA: 11.8 years
Amex Gold, Amex Green, Amex Blue, Amex ED, Amex Delta Gold, Amex Hilton Surpass, BoA Platinum Plus, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Chase Amazon, Chase CSP, Chase United Explorer, Citi AA Plat, Sync Lowes, Sync JC Penney - total CL 145k
Loans: Chase car loan (35k/6yrs 0.9%)
Message 13 of 28
Zeno
Contributor

I have also had issue when after paying from the account I would check to see if they received payment using the chat message through app and a rep would say it was successful and payment posted. Then I found out that was not true so had to pay. They also would credit me back 

Message 14 of 28
cranston3

Email Citi ERU, they are very good.

executive.response.unit@citi.com

Message 15 of 28
Zeno
Contributor

@cranston3 wrote:

Email Citi ERU, they are very good.

executive.response.unit@citi.com

That is where the lady i talked to over the phone was from that seems to think having a merger with new information and the account information entered wrong will not return as insufficient funds. I plan to email them again hopefully someone else will understand.

Message 16 of 28
jawbrkr
Established Contributor

I absolutely NEVER autopay anything. Everyone has a cell phone these days that they take with them everywhere. Set yourself reminders on your calendar for each bill and manually pay. for 2% on all spend, that's a tough card to lose. All my high expenses go on that card.

|| TU08: 811 || EQ08: 811 || EX08: 802 ||

Message 17 of 28
Zeno
Contributor

Someone contacted me from executive unit and told me the only way it can be reviewed they wanted a letterhead from credit union . I went to the credit union branch and explained what happened. The person understood and also showed my new account information in the letter. They have been doing this for other members as well. I sent it to CIti and they recevied it.

Message 18 of 28
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Zeno wrote:

Someone contacted me from executive unit and told me the only way it can be reviewed they wanted a letterhead from credit union . I went to the credit union branch and explained what happened. The person understood and also showed my new account information in the letter. They have been doing this for other members as well. I sent it to CIti and they recevied it.

Hopefully, that's a good sign!   My guess is that all issuers are flooded with bogus excuses why a payment didn't go through, so they want third-party documentation, and it sounds like you have it.   

Message 19 of 28
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

@jawbrkr wrote:

I absolutely NEVER autopay anything. Everyone has a cell phone these days that they take with them everywhere. Set yourself reminders on your calendar for each bill and manually pay. for 2% on all spend, that's a tough card to lose. All my high expenses go on that card.

None of that matters if you're in a position where you can't access your phone.  Trust me, autopay can be a saver.  I had an accident some time ago (rolled my vehicle) and I was out for a little over a month.  Even though my wife knows the passwords to everything I'm sure the last thing on her mind would have been paying a credit card.   It's nice to have all of that stuff that automatically kicks in when you can't do it yourself...not to mention simple oversight.  

Autopay is a really good feature and while it sucks for the OP, most folks don't change their bank info all that often which is why you don't see as much threads about such topic.

OP, I hope it all shakes out for you.  Do feel free to chime in with an update if you wish. 

Message 20 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.