cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi EO continuously denies CLI

tag
Razgriz

Citi EO continuously denies CLI

I've tried both back in December and this week to have my first CLI from Citi, and the EO has turned me down both times. I've read a few success stories about the EO approving a CLI on the spot, but both times they've had to submit something and then call me back in 1-2 business days. Also, the 800 number for the EO in the backdoor numbers thread ha told me that's only for CitiBank customers and not credit cards, and refer me to a 605 area code number. The reason I got today was due to bad items on my report, but I just pulled it and I only have 1 baddie, and it's about to be deleted due to the OC forgiving the debt due to a bad experience.

What gives? I've been with them since 2011 and haven't had one CLI, and I have a CU card with a $3,500 CL, Cap1 with $1,500 and Barclay just automatically upped my CL to $2,700. I've been with Citi since 2011. Any ideas?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Re: Citi EO continuously denies CLI

@Razgriz wrote:

The reason I got today was due to bad items on my report, but I just pulled it and I only have 1 baddie, and it's about to be deleted due to the OC forgiving the debt due to a bad experience.

Are you sure you're reviewing the report from the same CRA as Citi?

@Razgriz wrote:

What gives? I've been with them since 2011 and haven't had one CLI, and I have a CU card with a $3,500 CL, Cap1 with $1,500 and Barclay just automatically upped my CL to $2,700. I've been with Citi since 2011.

Creditors don't use the same criteria.  A CLI with one doesn't mean that another will also grant a CLI or equal CLI.  Has your credit improved since 2011?  Time in and of itself doesn't do anything except increase AAoA assuming no new accounts.

Message 2 of 5
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

Why do you even need the executive office for a CLI with Citi ?

Message 3 of 5
jd352
Regular Contributor

To some companies, a baddie is a baddie. Wait for the clean report and try again. Just call the number on the back of the card, no need to call the EO office for a CLI. I think I might have even done mine online and called in right afterwards because I got a blank page after I submitted. Either way, it was super easy and required no EO attention. 

I think for Cap1, it is almost necessary to contact the EO for CLI's. But, for most CCC's, it is really unecessary. I think it may even decrease your chances of being approved because you are pestering people who usually don't handle these requests. The EO office is much better suited for customer service issues or account issues that a typical CSR or underwriter cannot handle. Try doing it the "normal" way next time and just call the number on the back of your card. Better luck next time!

NPSL............... $20,700........... $15,200.......... $5,000............ $15,000............ $20,000
Current Scores: Equifax: 761 (Fico) TransUnion: 751 (Fico) Experian: 768 (Fico)
Message 4 of 5
Razgriz

@takeshi74 wrote:

@Razgriz wrote:

The reason I got today was due to bad items on my report, but I just pulled it and I only have 1 baddie, and it's about to be deleted due to the OC forgiving the debt due to a bad experience.

Are you sure you're reviewing the report from the same CRA as Citi?

Yep. The rep said it was Equifax.

takeshi74 wrote: 

@Razgriz wrote:

What gives? I've been with them since 2011 and haven't had one CLI, and I have a CU card with a $3,500 CL, Cap1 with $1,500 and Barclay just automatically upped my CL to $2,700. I've been with Citi since 2011.

Creditors don't use the same criteria.  A CLI with one doesn't mean that another will also grant a CLI or equal CLI.  Has your credit improved since 2011?  Time in and of itself doesn't do anything except increase AAoA assuming no new accounts.

Very much so - around 75 points!

@jd352 wrote:

To some companies, a baddie is a baddie. Wait for the clean report and try again. Just call the number on the back of the card, no need to call the EO office for a CLI. I think I might have even done mine online and called in right afterwards because I got a blank page after I submitted. Either way, it was super easy and required no EO attention. 

I think for Cap1, it is almost necessary to contact the EO for CLI's. But, for most CCC's, it is really unecessary. I think it may even decrease your chances of being approved because you are pestering people who usually don't handle these requests. The EO office is much better suited for customer service issues or account issues that a typical CSR or underwriter cannot handle. Try doing it the "normal" way next time and just call the number on the back of your card. Better luck next time!

Will do. I think the only reason why I went that route was due to being turned down in December by regular customer service.

Thanks everyone!

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.