cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Forward Visa Signature and EMV Chip An Either/Or Situation?

tag
JCon

Citi Forward Visa Signature and EMV Chip An Either/Or Situation?

I have had a Visa Signature Citi Forward card for a couple of years now and have used some of the Signature benefits such as the concierge and some of the special offers. Recently, I saw where Citi was issuing EMV chip enabled cards, so I requested a chip enabled replacement card through the online system. When I received the card, I noticed that it was an ordinary Visa, and not a Signature. I called in and talked to an account manager who said that nothing had changed on my account and that it should still be a Signature. I wasn't exactly sold, so I called the Signature concierge line and they confirmed that it was no longer showing up in their system as a Signature card.

I called Citi back and spoke to a front-line representative who said that I could have either a Visa Signature card or a standard Visa chip enabled card, but not both. I said that that was crazy, and asked what was preventing me from having both? After that, she transferred me to an account manager who assured me that I could have both and sent a new card overnight.

I received the new card at the end of last week and indeed it was a chip enabled card that said Visa Signature. Still a little skeptical, I called the concierge line and they once again told me that it was not showing up on their system as a Signature account. I called and spoke to yet another account manager who told me to just wait a few days for the systems to update. That sounded reasonable, so I did. The card, however, is still not showing as a Signature on Visa's side (I have been using https://visa.clearme.com/signature# to verify instead of calling into concierge every day - It does work with my other Signature cards Note:I have no affiliation with this company, it was just the only way I found to verify Signature status online).

My question is, has anyone else had a Citi Visa Signature account that has reverted to a regular Visa account after requesting an EMV chip enabled card? Also, is there anybody that does have a chip enabled Signature Forward card? I do have other chip enabled cards and other Visa Signature cards, so it is not terribly important, but the whole situation just seemed very odd to me. Also, I wanted to make sure I had the added Visa Signature protections before I used my card for the promotional 5% travel bonus. I know many here are not that thrilled with the Signature benefits/services, but some of them have been very helpful to me. (Note:I also posted this on another site, I hope that is ok)

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
PokemonMaster
Frequent Contributor

Re: Citi Forward Visa Signature and EMV Chip An Either/Or Situation?

@JCon wrote:

I have had a Visa Signature Citi Forward card for a couple of years now and have used some of the Signature benefits such as the concierge and some of the special offers. Recently, I saw where Citi was issuing EMV chip enabled cards, so I requested a chip enabled replacement card through the online system. When I received the card, I noticed that it was an ordinary Visa, and not a Signature. I called in and talked to an account manager who said that nothing had changed on my account and that it should still be a Signature. I wasn't exactly sold, so I called the Signature concierge line and they confirmed that it was no longer showing up in their system as a Signature card.

I called Citi back and spoke to a front-line representative who said that I could have either a Visa Signature card or a standard Visa chip enabled card, but not both. I said that that was crazy, and asked what was preventing me from having both? After that, she transferred me to an account manager who assured me that I could have both and sent a new card overnight.

I received the new card at the end of last week and indeed it was a chip enabled card that said Visa Signature. Still a little skeptical, I called the concierge line and they once again told me that it was not showing up on their system as a Signature account. I called and spoke to yet another account manager who told me to just wait a few days for the systems to update. That sounded reasonable, so I did. The card, however, is still not showing as a Signature on Visa's side (I have been using https://visa.clearme.com/signature# to verify instead of calling into concierge every day - It does work with my other Signature cards Note:I have no affiliation with this company, it was just the only way I found to verify Signature status online).

My question is, has anyone else had a Citi Visa Signature account that has reverted to a regular Visa account after requesting an EMV chip enabled card? Also, is there anybody that does have a chip enabled Signature Forward card? I do have other chip enabled cards and other Visa Signature cards, so it is not terribly important, but the whole situation just seemed very odd to me. Also, I wanted to make sure I had the added Visa Signature protections before I used my card for the promotional 5% travel bonus. I know many here are not that thrilled with the Signature benefits/services, but some of them have been very helpful to me. (Note:I also posted this on another site, I hope that is ok)

When I product changed my Navy Federal Cash Rewards card to a Visa Signature card it took over a week for my card to identitfy as Visa Signature (I was trying to buy Cirque Du Soleil tickets). I would give it a few more days and call again if it still doesn't work.

Message 2 of 5
JCon

Thanks, I thought that I might just be a little too impatient Smiley Happy. That last rep that I spoke with seemed to think that getting rid of the chip would help, but with each rep conflicting the last one I would hate to give up something that would have worked if I had just waited a little bit longer.

Message 3 of 5
PokemonMaster
Frequent Contributor

@JCon wrote:

Thanks, I thought that I might just be a little too impatient Smiley Happy. That last rep that I spoke with seemed to think that getting rid of the chip would help, but with each rep conflicting the last one I would hate to give up something that would have worked if I had just waited a little bit longer.

Citi is great and I love my Citi card. But their call center definitely needs work. I have had reps give me incorrect information on more than one occasion. I can't picture an EMV chip affecting the cards registration in the Visa Signature system. I would imagine with Memorial day coming up that they possibly be slow. I would check again Tuesday and if it still isn't working call them up and ask them to call Visa. I tend to go through Citi's Twitter page (@AskCiti) for help. They tend to be far more helpful and knowledgeable than calling the customer service number.

Message 4 of 5
JCon

You were correct. It finally verified today. Thank you again for all of your help.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.