Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Forward -> TY Preferred

tag
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

Re: Citi Forward -> TY Preferred

@expatCanuck wrote:

Anyone know what's behind Citi's effective abandonment of the Visa network? 

Absent compelling a bonus, I have no wish or need for a third MC (and I wasn't one of the chosen who received the $50 offer).  Just got off the phone w/ Citi to ask that it not send the TYP.  The rep said that the mailing was automatic, and that Citi couldn't stop it.

I advised that I would not be activating the TYP, and asked when the Forward would no longer be accepted.  The rep advised that if I did not activate the TYP, the Forward would be good 'til its expiry date.  I rather doubt that, given that my Forward doesn't expire 'til well over 3 years from now.  We'll see.  (AAoA be damned - I'll choose the network that I want to use.)

Citi reached a deal with MasterCard in 2015.

"Citigroup Inc. reached a deal to issue most of its global consumer credit and debit cards on MasterCard Inc.’s network." March 4th, 2015 Bloomberg News

They've been slowly phasing out out Visa. Here's an article about when it started changing and people noticed:

https://milecards.com/1588422755/citi-is-converting-aadvantage-visa-cards-to-mastercard/

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 11 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

Seems like they are finally killing of the Forward (which was pretty useless since they removed the 5x version)  Forced conversion to the Preferred Jan 6

I know that people have had difficultly PCing the forward, maybe some time after the conversion you will have more luck PCing from the Preferred.

Over the years I have had Citi eliminate and replace many cards of mine. Now being a good MyFicoer the death of the Citi Forward Visa Signature Card was not going to hold me back so I went after a P/C to various cards and got denied. Then I got into a MyFicoer mode and pushed hard on the Citi Card Tampa Call Center and went up the latter with an end result of a p/c from the Citi Forward Visa to the Citi Double Cash MC. After getting the card and reading other people's Double Cash's coming in as World and World Elite MasterCards I again  contacted Citi where I got an off shore call center and the CSR felt sorry for me (gave her my story) and she looked up my Double Cash Card and said it was a World Card ... looked over my card and informed the CR that it was a regular card ... she went off line for a few minutes and came back on line to inform me they had just converted the card to the Citi Double Cash World Elite MC and would get it to me post haste ... I was all smiles. Now for those of you reading this post holding your breath for the grand finale it was the Citi Executive Office could not get my $1900 CL increased as a CLI but could transfer the soon to be closed Citi Forward Visa CL to the Citi Double Cash and now it it $5K+. In my past actions with Citi and reading many posts on Citi I suspect our various requests fall on the CSR a supervisor/manager and our favorite YMMV. Over time I cannot say Citi dealt with any of my similar requestsSmiley Happy with the same outcome or with any predictability (time for the crystal ball). End result be a MyFicoer and don't give up easily Smiley Happy

Message 12 of 45
expatCanuck
Super Contributor

@expatCanuck wrote:

I advised that I would not be activating the TYP, and asked when the Forward would no longer be accepted.  The rep advised that if I did not activate the TYP, the Forward would be good 'til its expiry date.  I rather doubt that, given that my Forward doesn't expire 'til well over 3 years from now.  We'll see.  (AAoA be damned - I'll choose the network that I want to use.)

Follow-up: The rep with whom I just had a chat session advised that the Forward card would no longer work 90 days from receipt of the TYP (assuming that the TYP was not activated).  That strikes me as more believable than the stamped expiry date.

That Barclay Ring (no-fee 0% BT for 18 months) can't arrive too soon. Smiley Happy

2023 Goal: save 3 months' net income

Starting FICO8: 666 (give or take a FICO)
[ Last INQ 12-Feb-2024 ]
EQ8415 INQ (Auto, CC, HELOC, 2 mort)7y2m
EX8125 INQ (2 CC, 2 mort, HELoan)6y11m
TU8294 INQ (3 CC, 1 mort)6y6m
5/243/12AoYA 0m | AoOA 23y6m~3%
Message 13 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

@expatCanuck wrote:

@expatCanuck wrote:

Follow-up: The rep with whom I just had a chat session advised that the Forward card would no longer work 90 days from receipt of the TYP (assuming that the TYP was not activated).  That strikes me as more believable than the stamped expiry date.

That Barclay Ring (no-fee 0% BT for 18 months) can't arrive too soon. Smiley Happy

The actual communication I received mentions a set date - April 15th, 2018, after which the Forward card would no longer work. Simply mentioned the date and no information regarding how many days from receipt of new card.

IMAG3147a.jpg

Message 14 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

Has anyone received their new TY Preferred card yet? Everyday I open my mailbox in anticipation...

Message 15 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Has anyone received their new TY Preferred card yet? Everyday I open my mailbox in anticipation...

Does your online account show that your card has been shipped out?

When I go to my account detail, the progress bar just says "Processed" and not shipped and this has been for a week or so. Of course I'm currently outside the city I'm living in and can't check my mailbox for a couple more days.

Message 16 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

When I go to my account detail, the progress bar just says "Processed" and not shipped and this has been for a week or so. Of course I'm currently outside the city I'm living in and can't check my mailbox for a couple more days.

I didn't know you could check that! Mine is the same as yours stuck on "Processed".

Message 17 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I didn't know you could check that! Mine is the same as yours stuck on "Processed".

Just talked to two different customer service representatives. First one told me the ETA for new TY Preferred cards is the first week of February. Second one told me the new cards would be mailed between 1/15 and 1/26.

I'm bummed they won't allow conversions from the TY Preferred to any other card for 12 months. I will be calling back and speaking to a manager once I receive my new card. Holding customers to the "default policy" of 12 months between conversions is absolutely BS when they force the original conversion. Maybe explaining how the TY Preferred will be sock-drawered for a year versus them earning swipe fees on a useful card will convince them.

Message 18 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Just talked to two different customer service representatives. First one told me the ETA for new TY Preferred cards is the first week of February. Second one told me the new cards would be mailed between 1/15 and 1/26.

I'm bummed they won't allow conversions from the TY Preferred to any other card for 12 months. I will be calling back and speaking to a manager once I receive my new card. Holding customers to the "default policy" of 12 months between conversions is absolutely BS when they force the original conversion. Maybe explaining how the TY Preferred will be sock-drawered for a year versus them earning swipe fees on a useful card will convince them.

Well, the timeline according to the letter they sent me states they should ship out the new card in February.

What card would you consider changing to? I currently have ThankYou Premier and the Forward and pretty much stopped using the Forward since they changed restaurant from 5x to 2x so during the entire 2017 the card did not have much activity at all. It was pretty heavily used back in the days since I dine out a lot, and the nerf and then this mandary PC are probably perfect reasons for me to keep the card in my eternal sockdrawer. I've not received any special offers for the PC as some others got, I never asked them for offers but guess Citi doesn't really care either way.

Message 19 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

How long have you been a Citi customer? 

You should know their customer service reps don't aim to please their customers. They're usually outsourced and read off a script and don't know anything about their own products. We've seen it in this thread... You can ask five reps the same question and get five different answers. Even the managers seem powerless/too lazy to override anything. 

Message 20 of 45
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.