cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi: Is This a Good Deal?

tag
Regular Contributor

Citi: Is This a Good Deal?

I called Citi and asked them if I could have 12 months deferred interest because I want to purchase the new iPad Pro without opening a new Apple Barclay account. They offerred to wire me the cost of the new Ipad for a flat rate of 3% and at 0% interest for 12 months. Is this a good deal?

The other option is to open a new Apple Barclay card which would provide 18 months at 0% interest.

American Express Blue Cash Every | Discover it | Citi Double Cash | Citi Custom Cash (10/2021) | Bank of America Cash Rewards | Chase Slate | Capital One Quicksilver | Amazon Store Card | PayPal Credit | J. Crew | Old Navy | Experian: 785 Equifax: 798 Transunion: 777 |
Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Citi: Is This a Good Deal?

Well, ask yourself which is the better deal... 3% for 12 months or 0% for 18 months but with a HP for a new tradeline (plus you'd lose that shiny diamond in your sig)... you choose.

The Apple card gives you an extra 6 months interest free as well.  I'd go that route personally all else being equal... but if you're gardening for a good reason, or if your scores could lead to a denial or a low starting CL the Citi route might be better.  

Message 2 of 25
imaximous
Valued Contributor

If I were you, I wouldn't apply for the new card just for that purchase. I don't know much about the Apple card, but I think the promotional financing only works when you first get the card. They don't have ongoing interest-free financing.

I looked at your signature, and you have PP Credit. Can you handle the purchase with 6 months no interest instead? It'd be a hidden purchase, so it wouldn't affect your UTIL.

Message 3 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

According to your signature line you are in good shape for 5/24 either way.
You said Citi would wire you the money.
Can you pay WITH the card and still get the 0% with 3% fee? If you use Double Cash, pay off in a year then your net fee would be 1% after accounting for 2% rewards.
During that time do not use that card for new purchases if new purchases would have interest applied.
Message 4 of 25
Regular Contributor

@imaximous wrote:

If I were you, I wouldn't apply for the new card just for that purchase. I don't know much about the Apple card, but I think the promotional financing only works when you first get the card. They don't have ongoing interest-free financing.

I looked at your signature, and you have PP Credit. Can you handle the purchase with 6 months no interest instead? It'd be a hidden purchase, so it wouldn't affect your UTIL.

It isn't a matter if I can handle it or not; if I can buy with credit and pay zero intererst I'd do it. It builds a stronger credit history and relationship with the bank. I think 3% flat fee is better than PP. The interest I would pay is only $3.33 per month with Citi for a grand total of $39 in interest. And actually, the interest would only be $10.00 since I would be receiving 2% cash back on this purchase.

The only problem with opening a new Barclay is that I don't know how much they would give me, not making it worth a hard pull.

American Express Blue Cash Every | Discover it | Citi Double Cash | Citi Custom Cash (10/2021) | Bank of America Cash Rewards | Chase Slate | Capital One Quicksilver | Amazon Store Card | PayPal Credit | J. Crew | Old Navy | Experian: 785 Equifax: 798 Transunion: 777 |
Message 5 of 25
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
According to your signature line you are in good shape for 5/24 either way.
You said Citi would wire you the money.
Can you pay WITH the card and still get the 0% with 3% fee? If you use Double Cash, pay off in a year then your net fee would be 1% after accounting for 2% rewards.
During that time do not use that card for new purchases if new purchases would have interest applied.

Yeah, that's what I figured. I would get back $29 dollars for the purchase so the true interest I'm paying is only $10.

Message 6 of 25
blindambition
Senior Contributor

While the Apple Card is good for 0 financing. It’s not a great overall card. Barclays is also known to lower limits and close with little use.

Message 7 of 25
imaximous
Valued Contributor

@10022016 wrote:

@imaximous wrote:

It isn't a matter if I can handle it or not; if I can buy with credit and pay zero intererst I'd do it. It builds a stronger credit history and relationship with the bank. I think 3% flat fee is better than PP. The interest I would pay is only $3.33 per month with Citi for a grand total of $29 in interest.

The only problem with opening a new Barclay is that I don't know how much they would give me, not making it worth a hard pull.

Understood. I figured you were trying to buy on credit because you needed it. That's why I asked if you could make it work in 6 months.

Is this money from Citi a promo cash advance from your DC card? If it is, and you won't be using it for new charges till paid off, then go for it. Otherwise, you'll start paying interest the moment you make a purchase on it.

Message 8 of 25
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

If sounds like what your describing with the 3% fee and 0% interest is really a balance transfer where they just deposit the money into your account instead of sending another creditor a check.

If that’s the case, you can’t use Citi to purchase the item as you can’t BT to the same lender even if it’s a different card product.

I guess you technically could if they deposited the money into your checking account and then used that money to pay a different citi card but that could be a huge 🚩 red flag. I wouldn’t advise doing that.

Your point of view isn’t exactly accurate.
Carrying a balance isn’t going to create a stronger credit profile at all. It could hurt your score depending on utilization increases.
Utilization has no memory so as soon as you pay that balance off it will no longer be displayed on your credit report.

Paying small amounts of a balance doesn’t exactly create a better relationship with a bank either. It shows you extended yourself too far and don’t have the money to pay it off at once.
There are no data points that show that making small payments towards a balance is any better then paying your card off in full. PIF could actually be better because you get the most Fico points for having one small balance reporting and everything else at zero. Aka AZEO

I can see carrying a balance during a 0% if you need to or you stand to make a decent financial gain from putting that money into some interest bearing type of account. But the money you stand to make off $1200 or so isn’t anything I would carry a balance over.

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 9 of 25
Regular Contributor

@imaximous wrote:

@10022016 wrote:

@imaximous wrote:

It isn't a matter if I can handle it or not; if I can buy with credit and pay zero intererst I'd do it. It builds a stronger credit history and relationship with the bank. I think 3% flat fee is better than PP. The interest I would pay is only $3.33 per month with Citi for a grand total of $29 in interest.

Understood. I figured you were trying to buy on credit because you needed it. That's why I asked if you could make it work in 6 months.

Is this money from Citi a promo cash advance from your DC card? If it is, and you won't be using it for new charges till paid off, then go for it. Otherwise, you'll start paying interest the moment you make a purchase on it.

It's 0% for 12 months with a flat fee of $39.00; however, I will be getting 2% cash back on this purchase so the total interest will be on this purchase is $10.

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.