Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi: Is This a Good Deal?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Citi: Is This a Good Deal?

OP - I have the Barclays Apple card - bought a Mac Book Pro about a year ago and signed up for the 18months 0%. 

So most everything people have said here is true - other than 0% promos - the Apple card is worthless. So if you are an Apple fanatic and buy alot of Apple product - consider it. 0% promos are frequently offered - not just on the first purchase. 

But Apple may end its releationship with Barclays soon and partner with Goldman Saks. Who knows when though....

https://nypost.com/2018/05/10/apple-and-goldman-sachs-are-launching-a-credit-card/ 

Anyways - I think the Amazon card is a better long term fit - longer financing and on more products than just Apple. And you can always take the new Ipad Pro into any Apple Store and add the Apple Care if that is what you want to do. 

Message 21 of 25
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

OP - I have the Barclays Apple card - bought a Mac Book Pro about a year ago and signed up for the 18months 0%. 

So most everything people have said here is true - other than 0% promos - the Apple card is worthless. So if you are an Apple fanatic and buy alot of Apple product - consider it. 0% promos are frequently offered - not just on the first purchase. 

But Apple may end its releationship with Barclays soon and partner with Goldman Saks. Who knows when though....

https://nypost.com/2018/05/10/apple-and-goldman-sachs-are-launching-a-credit-card/ 

Anyways - I think the Amazon card is a better long term fit - longer financing and on more products than just Apple. And you can always take the new Ipad Pro into any Apple Store and add the Apple Care if that is what you want to do. 

As a side note (per your comment) and given the information from the article (btw it's Goldman Sachs, not Saks lol), there is no indication that the partnership with Barclays is ending (excerpt below):

"Goldman’s possible partnership isn’t expected to end Barclays’ relationship with the iPhone maker. The British bank plans to continue offering some financing for Apple products, according to a person familiar with the plans." 

Message 22 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

PIF (Transactor) behavior is always a sign of less risk and greater creditworthiness opposed to carrying a balance and paying interest.

Message 23 of 25
Kforce
Valued Contributor

Regular Contributor

It builds a stronger credit history and relationship with the bank.

@Anonymous wrote:

PIF (Transactor) behavior is always a sign of less risk and greater creditworthiness opposed to carrying a balance and paying interest.

Paying small amounts of a balance doesn’t exactly create a better relationship with a bank.
It shows you extended yourself too far and don’t have the money to pay it off at once.

I can see carrying a balance during a 0% if you need to or you stand to make a decent financial gain from putting that money into some interest bearing type of account. But the money you stand to make off $1200 or so isn’t anything I would carry a balance over.

+ 100,  @Anonymous and

Message 24 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@10022016 wrote:

I called Citi and asked them if I could have 12 months deferred interest because I want to purchase the new iPad Pro without opening a new Apple Barclay account. They offerred to wire me the cost of the new Ipad for a flat rate of 3% and at 0% interest for 12 months. Is this a good deal?

The other option is to open a new Apple Barclay card which would provide 18 months at 0% interest.

I'm curious why you're asking if its a good deal? That's the typical promo rate for BT's, I get that offer all the time on my Citi DP and Discover. So If I wanted to earn CB, I'd just use one of my existing CB cards to make the purchase. Then I'd BT the blance to either Citi or Discover for 3% fee and 0% APR for 12 months. Or I'd simple pay the measly $1200 off by the due date an avoid any fees altogther, since it isn't about affording it. If you're not worried about a new account, most new accounts come with 0% APR for the 1st 12-15 months anyways. And it's a standard purchase, so there would be no BT/wire fees at all.

Message 25 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.