Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Mastercard Declined...

tag
Andy77
Valued Contributor

Citi Mastercard Declined...

Has anyone ever been to a restaurant and had their Citi Card declined, but after calling them they tell you your account is fine?

This happened to me last night...avail credit 350.00

balance credit of 270.00

If this has happened to you, what was their explanation of the decline? 

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

Re: Citi Mastercard Declined...

@Andy77 wrote:

Has anyone ever been to a restaurant and had their Citi Card declined, but after calling them they tell you your account is fine?

This happened to me last night...avail credit 350.00

balance credit of 270.00

If this has happened to you, what was their explanation of the decline? 

Didn't you report here recently that you were overpaying this account in order to cause your available balance to be overstated? If I remember correctly you were told by an insider that security did not like that practice and it could result in declined charges.
Message 2 of 17
Andy77
Valued Contributor

That security issue has been take care of.  I was told by a supervisor that if I am going to charge over my CL to send in weekly checks

This issue aside since the CSR said my account was fine...

Has anyone had their charges declined? 

Message 3 of 17
DI
Super Contributor

@Andy77 wrote:

That security issue has been take care of.  I was told by a supervisor that if I am going to charge over my CL to send in weekly checks

This issue aside since the CSR said my account was fine...

Has anyone had their charges declined? 

I never had a charge declined.  But, there was a time when I was making a purchase, the store had to call the bank to make sure my card wasn't stolen before approving the charges. 

Message 4 of 17
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

So, Andy77, what was the proffered reason for the declined charge?
Message 5 of 17
Andy77
Valued Contributor

They told me there was nothing wrong with my account and that maybe the Mastercard terminal was down.

Message 6 of 17
DI
Super Contributor

@Andy77 wrote:

They told me there was nothing wrong with my account and that maybe the Mastercard terminal was down.

That would do it every time. 

Message 7 of 17
andyaycw
Frequent Contributor

The same happened to me about a year ago when I tried to use my Amex at a local 7-11 store. Cashier swiped the card a few times and it wouldn't go through. Thought that Amex had finally gotten to me with their round of F/Rs or whatnot, but it turned out to be a fluke and my account was fine - and has been ever since.

OP, try not to lose too much sleep on this. I don't think it's anything you should be concerned about Smiley Happy

Starting Score: EQ 773, TU 766
Current Score (2/25/2017): EX 813, EQ 823, TU 818
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 17
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

I'd worry about it until you have successfully completed a transaction using that card. The stripe on the back of the card could be damaged.
Message 9 of 17
DI
Super Contributor

@creditwherecreditisdue wrote:
I'd worry about it until you have successfully completed a transaction using that card. The stripe on the back of the card could be damaged.

+1.  I had a debit card that was worn, and the cashier had to swipe the card several times for it to work.  I think in the OP's case, the phone system or something may have not been working properly at the time.  

Message Edited by DI on 11-07-2009 08:19 PM
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.