Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Mastercard Declined...

tag
UpNUp
Regular Contributor

Re: Citi Mastercard Declined...

In the last month my Chase PerfectCard was declined twice at the gas pump at the station I frequent. Had to use my other card to complete the purchase. Not a problem anywhere else. And I use it for all my monthly bills and expences. I requested a new card and have not a problem since.
Message 11 of 17
jaysdad2k
Frequent Contributor

My first Discover card last October was the blue circle one, but I decided to get a normal silver one back in July. I stopped for gas within a few days of getting it and the pump rejected it, so I just swiped the old one still in my wallet. A couple of days later I used the silver one at Jiffy Lube and it worked fine, so I took the old one out of my wallet.

Sure enough I was at Sam's Club and the card would not work. The cashier was very rude, and one customer piped up with "Yeah, those new cards don't work sometimes." I was so embarrassed. I called Discover and they sent me a replacement card and it works just fine. I shredded the old defective one. The next time I went to Sam's I asked the cashier if she could manually enter the card number, and she said, "No, but a supervisor can." If the number had been entered manually, it would have worked.

Silly me for not thinking of that before.

"Knowledge is of no value unless you put it into practice."- Anton Chekhov
4/11 TU 743 4/11 EQ 763
Message 12 of 17
score_building
Senior Contributor

it could have been their machine or the strip on the card.  i'd use it again, since you can rule out the strip being damaged if it works elsewhere.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 13 of 17
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

I know this is kind of a "duh" thought for a lot of us, but if someone is new at using credit cards or doesn't use them often, I think it's good to point out that this is a good reason to carry more than one card if you have it.

We are teaching our 16 y/o daughter to responsibly use (our) credit cards. She's an AU on our accounts. This kid is so shy that I'm sure she would want to fall through the floor if her card was ever rejected. She would not know how to handle this. We tell her to get out another card to use and then tell us ASAP so that we can contact the cc company if there is a problem. People new at credit don't always intuitively know this. This is especially important overseas where things can get really funky at times. We're dealing with technology here, and there's lots that can go wrong anywhere along the line.

Message 14 of 17
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@jaysdad2k wrote:

My first Discover card last October was the blue circle one, but I decided to get a normal silver one back in July. I stopped for gas within a few days of getting it and the pump rejected it, so I just swiped the old one still in my wallet. A couple of days later I used the silver one at Jiffy Lube and it worked fine, so I took the old one out of my wallet.

Sure enough I was at Sam's Club and the card would not work. The cashier was very rude, and one customer piped up with "Yeah, those new cards don't work sometimes." I was so embarrassed. I called Discover and they sent me a replacement card and it works just fine. I shredded the old defective one. The next time I went to Sam's I asked the cashier if she could manually enter the card number, and she said, "No, but a supervisor can." If the number had been entered manually, it would have worked.

The merchant's transaction fees are different (higher) if the card info is manually entered.

Message 15 of 17
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

LynetteM wrote:

I know this is kind of a "duh" thought for a lot of us, but if someone is new at using credit cards or doesn't use them often, I think it's good to point out that this is a good reason to carry more than one card if you have it.

We are teaching our 16 y/o daughter to responsibly use (our) credit cards. She's an AU on our accounts. This kid is so shy that I'm sure she would want to fall through the floor if her card was ever rejected. She would not know how to handle this. We tell her to get out another card to use and then tell us ASAP so that we can contact the cc company if there is a problem. People new at credit don't always intuitively know this. This is especially important overseas where things can get really funky at times. We're dealing with technology here, and there's lots that can go wrong anywhere along the line.

When my youngest was in Ireland for the summer two years ago, I made sure that she had a Visa (BofA), a MC (USAA), and an AU AmEx Gold. Several times during that summer, the Visa or MC processing network went down, but she was able to use a card of a different type.

I'd advise anyone to carry two cards, minimum, both of different types (Visa/ MC/ Discover/ AmEx) and from different issuers (from BofA/ Chase/ Citi/ credit union/ etc.) Cash is good, too, of course, although in my case cash tends to fly through my hands at a much quicker rate than do charges. Smiley Tongue
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 16 of 17
jaysdad2k
Frequent Contributor

@creditwherecreditisdue wrote:

@jaysdad2k wrote:

The merchant's transaction fees are different (higher) if the card info is manually entered.

I did not know that!

I have noticed that the receipts usually say "swiped".

I did have backups. Sam's only takes Discover, Mastercard and debit cards. So Amex and Visa won't help. Although they have an ATM machine right there.

"Knowledge is of no value unless you put it into practice."- Anton Chekhov
4/11 TU 743 4/11 EQ 763
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.