Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Platiinum Select vs Diamond Preferred

tag
MattH
Senior Contributor

Citi Platiinum Select vs Diamond Preferred

My wife got notified by Citibank that her Platinum Select card is about to be replaced by a Diamond Preferred card. Anybody know what if anything this signifies about her credit standing? The new APR will be somewhat lower than her current APR but we don't carry balances so that's a non-issue for us. This card is in her name only, I've got a few only I use and she is an authorized user on my Chase card. Neither of us has any baddies.
TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
smallfry
Senior Contributor

Re: Citi Platiinum Select vs Diamond Preferred

Supposedly there are a few perks with the DP card. I have the card and like it. Haven't had the occasion to take advantage of the extras yet.
Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

MattH wrote:
My wife got notified by Citibank that her Platinum Select card is about to be replaced by a Diamond Preferred card. Anybody know what if anything this signifies about her credit standing? The new APR will be somewhat lower than her current APR but we don't carry balances so that's a non-issue for us. This card is in her name only, I've got a few only I use and she is an authorized user on my Chase card. Neither of us has any baddies.

That's very strange.  Did they give a reason for the unrequested product change?

I think Diamond Preferred is a bit easier to get than Platinum Select.  Is it possible she no longer qualifies for the Platinum Select (for some reason), so they are downgrading her?  Very weird turn of events.

Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi MattH!

Just to make certain that I have my facts straight:  She currently does not have the Citi Dividend Platinum Select MC.  Citibank is not going to be replacing her card with the Citi Diamond Preferred Rewards card.  Am I correct?
Message 4 of 16
MattH
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Hi MattH!

Just to make certain that I have my facts straight: She currently does not have the Citi Dividend Platinum Select MC. Citibank is not going to be replacing her card with the Citi Diamond Preferred Rewards card. Am I correct?

Currently she and I both have individual Citibank Platinum Select MasterCard accounts, not the Dividend Platinum Select, and they are going to be replacing hers with the Diamond Preferred MasterCard, not the Rewards card. We suspect perhaps this change is because she hasn't used her Citi card much in recent months, instead making most of her purchases on the Chase Visa account we share, so when she gets the new card she intends to make some purchases on it right away to make sure it remains active. She will pay in full when the bill comes, the only interest we pay is our mortgage.
TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MattH wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Hi MattH!

Just to make certain that I have my facts straight: She currently does not have the Citi Dividend Platinum Select MC. Citibank is not going to be replacing her card with the Citi Diamond Preferred Rewards card. Am I correct?

Currently she and I both have individual Citibank Platinum Select MasterCard accounts, not the Dividend Platinum Select, and they are going to be replacing hers with the Diamond Preferred MasterCard, not the Rewards card. We suspect perhaps this change is because she hasn't used her Citi card much in recent months, instead making most of her purchases on the Chase Visa account we share, so when she gets the new card she intends to make some purchases on it right away to make sure it remains active. She will pay in full when the bill comes, the only interest we pay is our mortgage.

Yes, but that's still a strange response to an inactive card.  I've never heard of this at all.

Have you (has she) called them and asked why they are doing this, or are you speculating as to the reason?

Message 6 of 16
MattH
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@MattH wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi MattH!

Yes, but that's still a strange response to an inactive card. I've never heard of this at all.

Have you (has she) called them and asked why they are doing this, or are you speculating as to the reason?

We have not asked them, we are only speculating.
Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

MattH wrote:

We have not asked them, we are only speculating.

Why not call them?  I'm curious, as well.

Message Edited by cheddar on 06-14-2008 07:22 PM
Message 8 of 16
smallfry
Senior Contributor

The DP is a better card than the Platinum Select. Check the extras.
Message 9 of 16
MattH
Senior Contributor

@smallfry wrote:
The DP is a better card than the Platinum Select. Check the extras.

Yep, they sent a brochure describing the various bells and whistles. Perhaps they hope the extras will induce her to give them more business again? I regularly pull my Fico scores so I know they range from 780 to 830, she has never pulled her Fico scores but she feeds almost as many pre-approved offers to the shredder as I do so she is clearly also considered a prime risk.
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.